U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 AM
 
1,049 posts, read 1,013,736 times
Reputation: 748

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The sunfish is no longer an issue. Work will resume soon, probably next week.
Yep
Denise Rowell, a public affairs specialist with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, said in an interview Friday with AL.com that the temporary work stoppage came as a surprise.
"Our office has provided technical assistance on best management practices, strategies and conservation practices aimed at avoiding impacts to the federally-listed species, such as the spring pygmy sunfish," Rowell said. "We've been working with (Mazda Toyota) closely. They want to do the right thing and we want them to do the right thing."

A lot of work was done beforehand to protect the fish and it will be.
Rowell said U.S. Fish & Wildlife has worked with Mazda Toyota before site work began earlier this year. USFW officials first met with representatives from the city of Huntsville on Feb. 6. And on April 18, Toyota officials spent most of the day at the USFW facility in Daphne.
"They are not building on spring pygmy sunfish habitat," Rowell said. "They are building adjacent to it. But they have reached out to us and they want to do the right thing. We are guiding them in best management practices. We're going to guide them throughout the process."
Like Mayor Battle said the stream and fish will probably be better protected than when the land was being farmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2018, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
2,035 posts, read 916,876 times
Reputation: 1195
I heard a couple of days ago that an environmental group is filing suit to get work stopped on the project. Not sure if it's sunfish-related or just enviornmental in general. Think that suit will gain any traction? Haven't heard a thing since the initial article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 PM
 
2,514 posts, read 1,940,957 times
Reputation: 1716
What I don't understand is that this land has been slated for use for years. Why weren't lawsuits brought up years ago when VW was looking at that site. Why are they bringing suit this far down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 08:26 PM
 
17 posts, read 9,392 times
Reputation: 41
It’s absolutely ridiculous. Get on with it already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 08:31 PM
 
349 posts, read 487,418 times
Reputation: 239
Forge ahead! Let’s get that plant built!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 05:22 AM
 
1,049 posts, read 1,013,736 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
What I don't understand is that this land has been slated for use for years. Why weren't lawsuits brought up years ago when VW was looking at that site. Why are they bringing suit this far down the road.
That haven't filed the suit yet. Everyone is going to great lengths to protect the stream and fish beyond what is required by law. Site prep is well underway for an official October groundbreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 06:44 AM
 
2,365 posts, read 3,031,253 times
Reputation: 4606
We seriously need to push for development legislation. We could call it the Go **** Yourself code. When we have a major development or highway or whatever that we need to get done and all of these fruit loop environmentalist groups start crawling out of the woodwork filing lawsuits, we need a state code to refer them to and when they go look up Alabama State Code 45.64.201...whatever, it simply reads Go **** Yourself, we are building it.

It is just absolutely ridiculous that these nut jobs can file all of these frivolous lawsuits to try to stop major projects and it just ends up costing us the majority of taxpayers millions that could otherwise have gone to needed road improvements and other projects. This is just another example of how the few try to rule the many through the court system in our current society. At some point we will have to deal with it.

Last edited by dijkstra; 07-30-2018 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 06:50 AM
 
4,743 posts, read 8,441,425 times
Reputation: 4019
This^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 09:14 AM
 
266 posts, read 262,743 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
We seriously need to push for development legislation. We could call it the Go **** Yourself code. When we have a major development or highway or whatever that we need to get done and all of these fruit loop environmentalist groups start crawling out of the woodwork filing lawsuits, we need a state code to refer them to and when they go look up Alabama State Code 45.64.201...whatever, it simply reads Go **** Yourself, we are building it.

It is just absolutely ridiculous that these nut jobs can file all of these frivolous lawsuits to try to stop major projects and it just ends up costing us the majority of taxpayers millions that could otherwise have gone to needed road improvements and other projects. This is just another example of how the few try to rule the many through the court system in our current society. At some point we will have to deal with it.
This might make sense in a reasonable world, but the reality is that anyone can file a lawsuit for anything. The common tactic will be to have several lawsuits set up ready to go, but you don't file them all at once. You wait for one lawsuit to get settled, then you file the follow up. You can tie up a major development deal for years this way.

I don't know if the spotted owl was the first case where development deals were stopped this way, but it certainly showed the country how it is done.

Heck you can file a lawsuit against the sky being blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 AM
 
2,365 posts, read 3,031,253 times
Reputation: 4606
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnygreek View Post
This might make sense in a reasonable world, but the reality is that anyone can file a lawsuit for anything. The common tactic will be to have several lawsuits set up ready to go, but you don't file them all at once. You wait for one lawsuit to get settled, then you file the follow up. You can tie up a major development deal for years this way.

I don't know if the spotted owl was the first case where development deals were stopped this way, but it certainly showed the country how it is done.

Heck you can file a lawsuit against the sky being blue.
Exactly, and that is a problem. If nothing else, we should have an expedited process for these frivolous lawsuits along with civil penalties along with reimbursement for court costs and legal expenses to those impacted. I would imagine we could cut a lot of it out with penalties and reimbursement requirements.

Over the last 20 years or so, our court system has seen a lot of misuse by those that want to push an agenda. On top of that, we have certain federal districts that like to try to legislate from the bench instead of our legal system/legislation working as intended. At some point, we the people....the majority, are going to have to speak up and put a stop to this nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top