U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 AM

563 posts, read 517,072 times

Advertisements

I predict we are going to loose the new Nazda/Toyota plant because of these lawsuits. If I were the corp, I would run to greener fields to build. Thousands of jobs and millions to the local economy lost, but hey, we saved some minnows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 05:51 AM

2,045 posts, read 919,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
I predict we are going to loose the new Nazda/Toyota plant because of these lawsuits. If I were the corp, I would run to greener fields to build. Thousands of jobs and millions to the local economy lost, but hey, we saved some minnows.
No, I think you're wrong. The precedent for such plants has already been set in Montgomery, Tuscaloosa, and Talladega. They could well be suits initiated by those in areas who wanted the new plant but didn't get it.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:43 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,032,108 times
Quote:
Where do you think they would go and not face a challenge of one sort or another? And do you really think that Toyota was blindsided by all of this?

Old 08-15-2018, 07:55 AM

2,373 posts, read 3,033,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Where do you think they would go and not face a challenge of one sort or another? And do you really think that Toyota was blindsided by all of this?
Mexico. If I was a big corporation, I wouldn't deal with the nonsense. I would just locate the factory and jobs in a country that I didn't have to fight them to give them jobs.

It doesn't matter though, the plant will be built and opened. Most likely these frivolous suits will be thrown out. I don't think there is any way they are going to get an injunction to stop the construction. Toyota has gone out of their way to make sure the environment is protected.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,015,197 times
Quote:
no way, contracts have been signed, design is underway. Huntsville, TVA (in order to be classified as a megasite stringent guidelines had to be met) has been working on this site for ten years and are well aware of any issues. All requirements and laws have and are being met. These suits will be tossed and if you read the comments are mainly to make sure guidelines are followed which is exactly what Toyota has said they will do. Meanwhile site prep is full speed ahead.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:57 AM

711 posts, read 675,831 times
Quote:
I don't know what you mean by greener fields to build. Every major construction project in the U.S. is subject to an environmental impact study. It is apparent that most of this had already been finalized before the construction had even started. The recent environmental objection was rather minor and was resolved quickly. You have to give credit to all involved because I have seen many other projects that been held up for years when this had not been done.

Compared to other construction projects in North Alabama I am amazed how fast construction got started on the Nazda/Toyota site. Now that that the minor roadblock has been resolved I expect the project to be completed on time or ahead of schedule.

BTW, I went by Greenbrier Restaurant yesterday. Since the Nazda/Toyota site is right across the road I got a good view of the site. The workers were hard at work on the site.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:13 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,032,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Mexico. If I was a big corporation, I wouldn't deal with the nonsense. I would just locate the factory and jobs in a country that I didn't have to fight them to give them jobs.

It doesn't matter though, the plant will be built and opened. Most likely these frivolous suits will be thrown out. I don't think there is any way they are going to get an injunction to stop the construction. Toyota has gone out of their way to make sure the environment is protected.
I took the context to be within the U.S. If they wanted to build in Mexico, they would have just done that.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:07 PM

2,373 posts, read 3,033,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
I took the context to be within the U.S. If they wanted to build in Mexico, they would have just done that.
I was just saying that if they were to get mad enough to abandon building a plant here, I doubt they would pick another site anywhere in the US. Regardless of where in the US, the fruit loops come out of the woodwork filing lawsuits. I would think if it came to that point, they would add to an existing plant instead or build a new plant in a less troublesome country.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM

2,045 posts, read 919,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I was just saying that if they were to get mad enough to abandon building a plant here, I doubt they would pick another site anywhere in the US. Regardless of where in the US, the fruit loops come out of the woodwork filing lawsuits. I would think if it came to that point, they would add to an existing plant instead or build a new plant in a less troublesome country.
Speaking of existing plants ... what's going to happen to the plant near Tupelo, Mississippi, when this one opens? They assemble Corollas there, and the Huntsville site is supposed to assemble Corollas, along with other vehicles. Doesn't really seem like they'd need two plants for the same car, especially so near to each other.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:11 AM

82 posts, read 62,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Speaking of existing plants ... what's going to happen to the plant near Tupelo, Mississippi, when this one opens? They assemble Corollas there, and the Huntsville site is supposed to assemble Corollas, along with other vehicles. Doesn't really seem like they'd need two plants for the same car, especially so near to each other.
With Ford dropping most of their passenger cars in the next several years, maybe Toyota is expecting a uptick in demand?

Last edited by csutton79; 08-17-2018 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or