U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 696 times

Advertisements

Hello! As I'm sure you've heard before, my family and I are moving to Huntsville next month. We have been touring the area and are planning to send our kids to a private school regardless of where we live. We do like like Madison and really like a home that falls in that 35757 zip code that has been zoned to Huntsville schools.

From someone coming in, it looks like prices for homes are rising throughout the HSV area. I know most transplants with young families are told to stay inside the Madison City Schools areas. How much of an impact should the zoning to Madison County Schools play into our decision in terms of resale value? We're not expecting to make a huge profit if we need to sell this home, but we would obviously want to buy something that we could re-sell without too much of a headache. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 09:21 AM

101 posts, read 71,829 times
I rarely hear anything bad about Madison County schools if that's what you are asking. My nephew attends Sparkman High School and my niece will be a Freshman there next year. I've heard that Bob Jones has had some issues and my honorary niece changed high schools from Bob Jones to Westminster Christian Academy (private school) to complete her high school education.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:55 AM

211 posts, read 228,397 times
If you are going private school, consider Madison Academy and buy into the city. I think you'll find that even though your kids aren't going to a city school, your resale values will rise quicker than being in the county. That's just my opinion, and I am not a realtor.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:47 AM

478 posts, read 584,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiasolc View Post
Hello! As I'm sure you've heard before, my family and I are moving to Huntsville next month. We have been touring the area and are planning to send our kids to a private school regardless of where we live. We do like like Madison and really like a home that falls in that 35757 zip code that has been zoned to Huntsville schools.

From someone coming in, it looks like prices for homes are rising throughout the HSV area. I know most transplants with young families are told to stay inside the Madison City Schools areas. How much of an impact should the zoning to Madison County Schools play into our decision in terms of resale value? We're not expecting to make a huge profit if we need to sell this home, but we would obviously want to buy something that we could re-sell without too much of a headache. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

In the Huntsville area, the city name, zip codes and school district can be confusing. Here is a basic explanation as regards to the 35757 zip code which most know as Monrovia and the school differences.

1. The 35757 zip code has the city name Madison (even though none of it is in the City of Madison) because years ago, the Postal Service decided to assign city addresses based on what city or town was closest, and for a large part of the Monrovia area, Madison's post office was closest, thus that is the address for those areas. There are other areas in the eastern part of Madison County which have an Owens Cross Roads address even though they are in the city limits of Huntsville for the same reason is that that years ago, no one ever anticipated Huntsville annexing that rural area and Owens Cross Roads P.O. was closest. Also, in the eastern part of the Monrovia area, there are several neighborhoods with a Huntsville 35806 address even though they are in the unincorporated County.

2. The City of Huntsville has annexed significant portions of the Monrovia area (35757) and those homes are zoned for Huntsville (HSV) City Schools. However, this has hurt resales because the schools for which those homes are zoned (Providence Elementary, Williams Middle and Columbia High) have poor rankings on School Digger. However, these homes have a Madison mailing address. There are some neighborhoods where there is no sign telling you when you have left the City of HSV and entered the unincorporated county - you an be on the same street and the next house is in the county. There are 400 students zoned for Providence Elementary School who attend private schools (This statistic came out in a school desegregation case for HSV City Schools in 2015). This district has the most students who opt for private of any HSV district.

3. The most significant difference between the County Schools and Madison City Schools is that Bob Jones and James Clements in Madison offer more Advanced Placement classes than Sparkman and the other county schools. Bob Jones and James Clements are rated as being in the top 10 or 15 in the state of Alabama.

In conclusion, in the western areas of Madison County, the easiest location for resales is going to be the City of Madison because of the schools and zoning. In the unincorporated county, there is no zoning, so you will see a variety of housing - you may see a nice house next door to a mobile home. However, when a developer builds a subdivision, they will place restrictive covenants for all of the lots in the subdivision, so that in effect is like zoning at least within the individual neighborhood. On the other hand, another developer could put in a mobile home park or junk car lot on adjacent land and there is nothing that can be done about it, due to a lack of zoning. The Madison County Schools in Monrovia have higher rankings than the HSV City schools for that area and thus the unincorporated areas are easier to sale than those in HSV.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:18 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,598,710 times
Madison City > 35757 zoned for Madison Co schools > 35757 zoned for HSV city schools

Old 07-02-2018, 02:26 PM

333 posts, read 462,435 times
We currently live in 35757 Madison County and it is growing like wildfire. So is everywhere else for that matter.

It is a great location, but I think that there are better Madison County Schools than Sparkman High School.

Triana is now zoned for Madison City Schools, and it will be interesting to see how this will affect Madison City Schools ratings in years to come.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:47 PM

478 posts, read 584,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
We currently live in 35757 Madison County and it is growing like wildfire. So is everywhere else for that matter.

It is a great location, but I think that there are better Madison County Schools than Sparkman High School.

Triana is now zoned for Madison City Schools, and it will be interesting to see how this will affect Madison City Schools ratings in years to come.

Triana has always been in the Madison City Schools. The reason is that before Madison voted to have its own city school system, the students who lived in Triana were zoned for the Madison County Schools which were located within the City of Madison. As part of the negotiations to leave Madison County Schools and form their own separate school district, Madison officials agreed to have the Triana students to continue attending the schools in Madison. Otherwise, the Triana kids would have had to travel all the way to Sparkman High School - that would have been a long bus ride. Also, as part of the deal, the Triana kids attend the newest elementary school in Madison, so every time a new school is built, the Triana kids are zoned for that school. Discovery Middle School (formerly Bob Jones High) and several other schools were originally Madison County Schools. However, because of a state law, they were able to become Madison City Schools because they were within the City limits of Madison.

There have been a couple of new subdivisions north of Triana on Zierdt Rd. (not in Huntsville) which advertise that they are in Madison City Schools. For the Madison City District, these offer the newest homes at the lowest prices by far. This is a byproduct of the deal that the City of Madison worked out, yet these homeowners don't pay property taxes to the City of Madison, but still are able to enjoy their schools.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:08 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,598,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Triana has always been in the Madison City Schools. The reason is that before Madison voted to have its own city school system, the students who lived in Triana were zoned for the Madison County Schools which were located within the City of Madison. As part of the negotiations to leave Madison County Schools and form their own separate school district, Madison officials agreed to have the Triana students to continue attending the schools in Madison. Otherwise, the Triana kids would have had to travel all the way to Sparkman High School - that would have been a long bus ride. Also, as part of the deal, the Triana kids attend the newest elementary school in Madison, so every time a new school is built, the Triana kids are zoned for that school. Discovery Middle School (formerly Bob Jones High) and several other schools were originally Madison County Schools. However, because of a state law, they were able to become Madison City Schools because they were within the City limits of Madison.

There have been a couple of new subdivisions north of Triana on Zierdt Rd. (not in Huntsville) which advertise that they are in Madison City Schools. For the Madison City District, these offer the newest homes at the lowest prices by far. This is a byproduct of the deal that the City of Madison worked out, yet these homeowners don't pay property taxes to the City of Madison, but still are able to enjoy their schools.
Triana kids don't attend Mill Creek, which is the newest elementary in Madison. They attend Columbia currently. But with all the growth & rezoning to come, who knows where Triana, or any of us, will end up.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:17 PM

2,063 posts, read 925,544 times
Quote:

Isn't that entire area, including Triana, subject to flooding?

Old 07-03-2018, 02:44 AM

332 posts, read 229,771 times
Quote:
This is a byproduct of the deal that the City of Madison worked out, yet these homeowners don't pay property taxes to the City of Madison, but still are able to enjoy their schools.
Triana does have a schools property tax that goes to the Madison city schools. I believe it is 9 mills vs. the 11 mills that city of Madison residents are paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area