U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 05:48 PM

17 posts, read 17,654 times

Advertisements

There is still no interstate highway for the fastest growing city in AL. It is a shame.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:54 PM

1,305 posts, read 910,785 times
Out-dated concept. I-22 was a nightmare to build, and it was actually needed. I think we can pretty much count on the existing interstate grid staying where it is. They even killed the Trans-Texas Corridor (I-69) back in the mid-2000s and that was actually a good idea, at least in Texas and Mexico.

Besides, the states have done a pretty good job of 4-laning many state highways.

I think most of the transportation money in the future is going to be routed to fix interchange congestion and possibly perimeter interstates around cities.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:50 PM

4,653 posts, read 2,673,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Out-dated concept. I-22 was a nightmare to build, and it was actually needed. I think we can pretty much count on the existing interstate grid staying where it is. They even killed the Trans-Texas Corridor (I-69) back in the mid-2000s and that was actually a good idea, at least in Texas and Mexico.

Besides, the states have done a pretty good job of 4-laning many state highways.

I think most of the transportation money in the future is going to be routed to fix interchange congestion and possibly perimeter interstates around cities.
The interstate grid was done really well when it was conceived and approved in the mid-1950s, even though the population of the US has more than doubled since then. It's hard to imagine what highway transportation would be like now without them. But yes, it will remain pretty much as it is. There are, however, some high-growth area that need better service now than they did 50 years ago. One of those areas is here ... going from here to Memphis isn't so bad, even though you have to travel through certain towns. Lack of a freeway probably adds close to a half hour to the trip, considering speed limits and towns. Traveling north or south is pretty good. Here to Atlanta needs addressing though ... as they say, everything goes to or through Atlanta. The I-22 Corridor X has been around for as long as I can remember, and I suppose it took close to 50 years for it to actually come to fruition. A similar highway to Atlanta has been talked about for the past 25 or 30 years and might happen by 2100, but would be more of a challenge, and more expensive, to build than I-22 was.

I think interchange congestion will always be an issue, regardless of how big or how many lanes there are (within reason, of course ... you're not going to pave over an entire city). Part of that is driver education and driver fear, and it only takes one or two poor drivers to put everything in gridlock. The highway itself can get saturated, even if highways are built to the largest reasonable size. Look at Atlanta, the large city that most of us are familiar with, where at some points there are 16 lanes and traffic still comes to a standstill. I-285 has 10 drive lanes and is still saturated at most any hour. Even if perimeter freeways are built, they eventually become built up (285 is an example, and 459 to a lesser degree) with businesses and are no longer "bypasses". There probably isn't a permanent long term solution.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:01 PM

4,653 posts, read 2,673,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodasan View Post
There is still no interstate highway for the fastest growing city in AL. It is a shame.
Are you talking about Huntsville? True, there is no real "interstate" highway here. I-565 is merely a spur that's built to Interstate standards that connects to a real interstate highway. We pretty much have to travel 20 miles out of our way to go either north or south. I don't see that changing any time soon.

I wonder, in the back of my mind, if AlDot might be afraid to invest its meager funds for highways here. Yes, the Huntsville area is the fastest growing in the state, but they perhaps fear it could all come crashing down with the next presidential administration ... funding for NASA and the Army is subject to being cut. Huntsville came close to being another Oak Ridge in the post Apollo days (and DoD funding was down then too), but somehow got through it and thrived. All the eggs aren't in the space and defense basket now, but a substantial number of them are. Birmingham still hasn't recovered from the steel industry collapse (and I suppose the racial situation), and this area could conceivably face the same issues with funding cuts.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:55 AM

113 posts, read 77,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I think interchange congestion will always be an issue, regardless of how big or how many lanes there are (within reason, of course ... you're not going to pave over an entire city). Part of that is driver education and driver fear, and it only takes one or two poor drivers to put everything in gridlock. The highway itself can get saturated, even if highways are built to the largest reasonable size. Look at Atlanta, the large city that most of us are familiar with, where at some points there are 16 lanes and traffic still comes to a standstill. I-285 has 10 drive lanes and is still saturated at most any hour. Even if perimeter freeways are built, they eventually become built up (285 is an example, and 459 to a lesser degree) with businesses and are no longer "bypasses". There probably isn't a permanent long term solution.

As strange as it sounds the solution is to actually stop building so many lanes. It makes commuting attractive at first since the capacity is there on the road and encourages more driving, more sprawl, and eventually puts you right back where you started. Density and public transit are actually the solutions to keep traffic in check. Huntsville would be wise to take heed of this before things get too crowded.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:53 AM

1,629 posts, read 1,676,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Are you talking about Huntsville? True, there is no real "interstate" highway here. I-565 is merely a spur that's built to Interstate standards that connects to a real interstate highway. We pretty much have to travel 20 miles out of our way to go either north or south. I don't see that changing any time soon.

I wonder, in the back of my mind, if AlDot might be afraid to invest its meager funds for highways here. Yes, the Huntsville area is the fastest growing in the state, but they perhaps fear it could all come crashing down with the next presidential administration ... funding for NASA and the Army is subject to being cut. Huntsville came close to being another Oak Ridge in the post Apollo days (and DoD funding was down then too), but somehow got through it and thrived. All the eggs aren't in the space and defense basket now, but a substantial number of them are. Birmingham still hasn't recovered from the steel industry collapse (and I suppose the racial situation), and this area could conceivably face the same issues with funding cuts.
for lack of a better word that is "stupid" mindset. You can use that argument for any growing city in the country. So lets punish a region for something that might happen instead of meeting the needs of what is happening? aldots mindset is purely political and has been for 50 years. Main reason Mayor Battles restore our roads program was implemented after aldot delayed many projects.
From WHNT 2013
"Alabama DOT officials delivered the bad news to Mayor Tommy Battle last week.
It affects nearly $250 million worth of road projects, several critical to north Alabama.
These are the projects that have been delayed anywhere from 4 to 10 years:
  • Elevating Memorial Parkway from north of Martin Road to south of Lily Flagg Road. Adding new service lanes and underpasses at Martin, Lily Flagg and Byrd Spring Road. COMPLETED
  • Extending the limited-access portion of I-565 past Moores Mill and Shields roads. lanes added as a quick fix
  • Expanding I-565 to six lanes between, Greenbrier Road and I-65, Greenbrier and County Line Road, and between County Line Road and Wall-Triana Highway.
  • Expanding Alabama Highway 53 from Harvest Road to Old Railroad Bed Road, from Old Railroad Bed Road to Pinedale Road, and from Pinedale through Ardmore.
  • The Blake Bottom Road overpass on Research Park Boulevard. under construction
  • Resurfacing U.S. 72 East from Moores Mill Road to east of Dug Hill Road. completed
  • Widening South Memorial Parkway between Hobbs Island Road and the Tennessee River bridge.
  • Widening Hobbs Island Road from Memorial Parkway to Parsons Drive.
Work to extend the limited access portions of I-565 was originally slated to begin this year, but has been delayed a decade, with the project pushed back to 2023.
Director of Urban Development, Shane Davis, says it is common for projects to be delayed, but nothing as drastic as the delays announced last week.
City leaders have been in talks with the state and state legislators in hopes of getting some of the most critical projects started earlier than the announced delays."
This I-14 talk is from a few hacks who decided to make some noise about a pet project they came up with.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:02 AM

20,542 posts, read 21,190,359 times
I would not mind seeing Alabama State Route 255 and Memorial Parkway as auxiliary interstate highways and Interstate 565, utilizing United States Route 72, extended to Interstate 24 in Tennessee.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I would not mind seeing Alabama State Route 255 and Memorial Parkway as auxiliary interstate highways and Interstate 565, utilizing United States Route 72, extended to Interstate 24 in Tennessee.
well that was the plan years ago, there was even a large amount of funding and environmental studies done. After I-22 was completed that Memphis Huntsville Atlanta project pretty much died. It would not take much at all to upgrade 72 to I-24 since much of it is already close to interstate standards. Just need a few more overpasses and controlled access and of course the much delayed portion in east Huntsville/Madison County. Right now the huge problem is I-24/I-59 sections in Tennessee and Georgia.
It's awful.
Research park Blvd is to be expanded to six lanes in the near future and ROW acquisition is underway to extend it to Memorial Parkway. Overpass construction is also set to start soon (within a year??) on North Parkway/Mastin Lake.
But these projects have been in the hopper for decades now so who knows except aldot, and it depends if something better comes along. Wonder when that widening of University Drive will start in our lifetime even though it was set to already be completed by now.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:58 AM

7,297 posts, read 3,293,675 times
This would be positively insane.

A better solution would be to simply take US 80 and make it limited access from Montgomery to 20/59 at the Mississippi line. That would actually be a good idea.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
This would be positively insane.

A better solution would be to simply take US 80 and make it limited access from Montgomery to 20/59 at the Mississippi line. That would actually be a good idea.
agreed, and why that isn't happening is even more insane. The problem is would it take monies away from projects like I-565, the answer is absolutely. There was a similar idea of doing the same for US-43 from Florence to Mobile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or