U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 AM

433 posts, read 1,577,227 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from Savannah, Ga to Madison in June. I am wondering what the housing market is really like there. I am hoping to buy a spec home in the 240,000-250,000 range. Are the builders there bringing down their prices and/or are they giving big discounts? I am hoping to get the deal of the century. We are lookin to send the kids to Columbia or Heritage elementary. They seem to be the best grade schools and the middle school seems great too. I would love opinions from anyone who knows the area. It seems from my online research that Madison is a great place to live and we are really excited about our move and getting out of Savannah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:31 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,654,135 times
Hi boilrmkr, Madison is a good choice. It is a buyers market but we are not in the slump that Florida, California, Arizona etc. are in. I don't know about finding the deal of the century since our market is not that bad, but I am sure you will be able to find something you will like in that range. The builders are not really reducing their prices but some are or have offered incentives such as x amount of dollars in free upgrades, buying down your rate for financed offers, no payments for 6 mos. etc. Of course spec homes can be reduced for quick sales. Madison schools are right up there with the best in the area. I don't personally have kids in that school system, but I am sure others do and can comment on them with first hand knowledge.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:52 PM

871 posts, read 2,576,245 times
Hi boilrmkr, we live right in the area you are looking at. In fact, there is a 3rd Elementary School under construction on Mill Road that will be taking students from both Columbia and Heritage as part of the rezoning for 2009-2010. As for house prices, I am wondering where you are going to find a spec house in the $240K-$250K range? There are some real nice Adams home neighborhoods on County Line and Balch in the $180-$220 range and other neighborhoods with Woodland, DR Horton, etc that are in the $300K-500K range. You should be able to find plenty of resales in the $240K range for both schools, but I doubt you will find a spec for that price. By the way, welcome to Madison. You will love it!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 AM

433 posts, read 1,577,227 times
Do you know when that 3rd elementary school will open? Do you know yet what neighborhoods will feed into that school? Thanks for the info. From what I have read online it seems that everyone loves Madison and we are looking forward to our move.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:43 PM

871 posts, read 2,576,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
Do you know when that 3rd elementary school will open? Do you know yet what neighborhoods will feed into that school? Thanks for the info. From what I have read online it seems that everyone loves Madison and we are looking forward to our move.
I should correct myself. We already have 6 elementary schools, so the new on Mill Rd and Mose Chapel Rd will be #7. It is 3rd in the context of Columbia and Heritage area. It is not due to open until August 2009. They are only grading the ground and putting in sewer at this point. They are also widening Mill Rd around the school and adding an extension to Balch between the curve at Browns Ferry Rd and Mill on the East side of Mill Creek. You can look at this map to guess who might be zoned for the new school: http://www.madisoncity.k12.al.us/Zon...oning_2005.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area