U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 06:46 AM

5,371 posts, read 3,122,204 times

Advertisements

The new lists are out: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...etin-18-04.pdf

Huntsville: didn't change
Decatur: didn't change
Birmingham: dropped Walker County (lost ~65000 people - Jasper became its own Micropolitan Statistical Area)
Montgomery: didn't change
Mobile: added Washington County (added ~16,000 people)
Tuscaloosa: added Pickens County (~20,000 people)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 12:05 PM

1,425 posts, read 912,446 times
RocketDawg, do you know how often these are updated? Yearly?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
RocketDawg, do you know how often these are updated? Yearly?
I don't know for sure, but I read somewhere a month or two ago that Knoxville's was updated in 2013. So it's probably safe to assume it's every 5 years. That makes sense because the censuses are every 10 years and it takes a while to analyze all the data, so 3 years after the census, and an interim one at midpoint population estimates is possibly how things are done.

I didn't realize until I saw this one that all the metros, micros, and "population centers" (I think that's what they're called) were done at the same time.

I halfway expected Huntsville and Decatur to be combined, but I also seem to remember that it's not only commuting that's taken into account, but also the desires of the community. I think it would be economically better for this area if they were combined, but Decatur doesn't seem to want it (from what I hear).

Old 09-17-2018, 01:20 PM

Looks like the Combined Statistical Areas are also shown. Not sure if these are different from previous though:

Birmingham-Hoover-Talladega, AL Combined Statistical Area
Birmingham-Hoover, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area
Cullman, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area
Jasper, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area
Talladega-Sylacauga, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area

Huntsville-Decatur, AL Combined Statistical Area
Decatur, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area
Huntsville, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area

Mobile-Daphne-Fairhope, AL Combined Statistical Area
Daphne-Fairhope-Foley, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area
Mobile, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area

Montgomery-Selma-Alexander City, AL Combined Statistical Area
Alexander City, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area
Montgomery, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area
Selma, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area

Old 09-17-2018, 02:37 PM

4,079 posts, read 7,214,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The new lists are out: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...etin-18-04.pdf

Huntsville: didn't change
Decatur: didn't change
Birmingham: dropped Walker County (lost ~65000 people - Jasper became its own Micropolitan Statistical Area)
Montgomery: didn't change
Mobile: added Washington County (added ~16,000 people)
Tuscaloosa: added Pickens County (~20,000 people)
I'm shocked that Baldwin wasn't added especially how clogged the tunnels and bayways are daily. Then again Baldwin is HUGE and the only areas of Baldwin that really commute to Mobile for work is the Eastern Shore ( Spanishfort-Daphne-Fairhope). In the past 5 years or so there have been a lot of industry in north Mobile County around Axis.So that may explain Washington County being added to the MSA. They were on track to being added to the CSA about 3 years ago. And I believe Clarke County wasn't to far behind for Mobile's CSA quilifications last I checked.

Last edited by PortCity; 09-17-2018 at 02:46 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Looks like the Combined Statistical Areas are also shown. Not sure if these are different from previous though:

Birmingham-Hoover-Talladega, AL Combined Statistical Area
Birmingham-Hoover, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area
Cullman, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area
Jasper, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area
Talladega-Sylacauga, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area

Huntsville-Decatur, AL Combined Statistical Area
Decatur, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area
Huntsville, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area

Mobile-Daphne-Fairhope, AL Combined Statistical Area
Daphne-Fairhope-Foley, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area
Mobile, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area

Montgomery-Selma-Alexander City, AL Combined Statistical Area
Alexander City, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area
Montgomery, AL Metropolitan Statistical Area
Selma, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area
I didn't see that information yet, but the Huntsville/Decatur CSA had both Marshall and DeKalb Counties in it. It was actually called Huntsville/Decatur/Albertville CSA. I'm assuming it still does. Ft. Payne and DeKalb County is a bit of a stretch, but Marshall County/Boaz/Albertville/Guntersville seem like a good fit. One would think Jackson County/Scottsboro would be included.

I don't think Montgomery had a CSA before. B'ham looks to be the same, as well as Mobile.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I didn't see that information yet, but the Huntsville/Decatur CSA had both Marshall and DeKalb Counties in it. It was actually called Huntsville/Decatur/Albertville CSA. I'm assuming it still does.
Hard to tell. On page 133 of 227, it doesn't list the Albertville Micropolitan Area or Fort Payne Micropolitan Area under "Huntsville-Decatur, AL Combined Statistical Area."

In fact, it looks like there is now a "Scottsboro-Fort Payne, AL Combined Statistical Area."

Old 09-17-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Hard to tell. On page 133 of 227, it doesn't list the Albertville Micropolitan Area or Fort Payne Micropolitan Area under "Huntsville-Decatur, AL Combined Statistical Area."

In fact, it looks like there is now a "Scottsboro-Fort Payne, AL Combined Statistical Area."
Yeah, it seems to have been changed after I looked at the pages. Scottsboro-Ft Payne CSA? Strange. Gotta wonder how long that will last. However, I came back from Rome, GA, a couple of weeks ago and the Ft Payne/Rainsvile/some other town I can't remember ... has grown up a lot from the last time I was there. And, I have to say, AlDoT has done a good job on the roads on Sand Mountain. The entire area doesn't seem to have any real common denominator though.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 PM

981 posts, read 1,003,137 times
Jackson county is in the Chattanooga CSA.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Jackson county is in the Chattanooga CSA.
Not any more. And I'm not sure it ever should have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area