U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:29 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,065,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
gertyberty = "...lend some accuracy to your questions (such as the 85% of students being commuters)"

I try to keep up to date on statistics, however I was sloppy in not providing a link:

"Commuter students make up about 85% of the entire undergraduate student population."

https://www.uah.edu/dos/resources-st...muter-students

Seems fairly accurate.

Regarding the statement that Auburn is "the top engineering school in the state". This is objectively true. According to USNews, Auburn is #75 in the nation and best in the State. UAH ranks #95 and Alabama ranks #106.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...s/eng-rankings

I agree with those that say that UAH provides hands-on experience through internships and jobs that may not be available at other schools.
and it also depends on which type of engineering, some schools offer different types or specialize in certain areas.
Auburns ten schools in the College of Engineering:
Aerospace Engineering
Biosystems Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Computer Science and Software Engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Industrial and Systems Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Materials Engineering
Wireless Engineering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 01:51 PM

660 posts, read 336,605 times
Don't count Alabama (Tuscaloosa) out. There, about 60% are out of state (from most every state including California), and VERY generous merit scholarships are given with the right test scores. Still a very solid engineering program, in some disciplines better than others. Alabama actually attracts about 150-180 national merit scholars a year, and this year was a massive 187.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:29 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,078,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertyberty View Post
I just received these answers a few months ago from the UAH Dean of Students. Maybe they will help and also lend some accuracy to your questions (such as the 85% of students being commuters):

1. What is the percent of the total full-time enrollment at UAH?
According to the common data set posted under https://www.uah.edu/academic-affairs...mmon-data-sets the calculation of FT enrollment is 71% . This includes total headcount, undergraduate and graduate.
2. What percentage of undergrad students live on campus?
25% of the total undergraduate population lives on campus, but we are adding 400 beds to increase that number.

3. What is the percentage of first year students living on campus?
We have approximately 62% of the new freshmen living on campus.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

By the way, regarding Auburn--"top" engineering school in the state is arguable. How are you defining that?
I can certainly understand a student who prefers a big-school experience with D1 football etc. But there are a lot of good large-school engineering programs in the country that offer much better scholarships than Auburn does. In fact, I didn't even have my children apply to Auburn because their scholarships are so paltry.

I have two boys at UAH from out of state, and they both have had good experiences. Good luck with your research!
Just because only 25% of the students live on campus, that doesn't really mean the rest are "commuter" students. As at any university, many students live off campus in apartments (vs living at home with parents, which I define as "commuter"). One reason is there's not much dorm space, but they're building new housing that will change that number. Another reason is that students just like to live off campus these days. Many universities require freshman, unless they actually live in the city of the school, to live on campus. UAH cannot do that because of lack of student housing.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is athletics. UAH doesn't got into athletics big time like UAT and Auburn do. They don't have football at all, but have Division II basketball and baseball. They have hockey, but I'm not sure if they're Division I or not ... they have changed from Club to Div I and back again over the years. Attendance at hockey games is quite good for a southern school.

I too attended and graduated UAH, in the engineering grad school, but it's been so long ago that it was nothing like it is now. I'm not even sure they had dorms for undergrads back then.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:30 PM

717 posts, read 691,370 times
All UAH first and second year full-time undergraduate students with a permanent legal residence beyond a 30-mile radius from campus are required to live in the campus residence halls. There are limited number of exceptions to this.

UAH Residence Halls
Central Campus Residence Hall (CCH)
Charger Village (CGV)
Frank Franz Hall (FFH)
North Campus Residence Hall (NCH)
Southeast Campus Housing (SCH)

Off Campus Housing
UAH has contracts with the following apartment complexes:
Ashford Terrace
Highland Pointe
Emerald Ridge
Waterford Square

When I was an undergraduate at UAH back in the early 80's there was no on-campus housing. It seems there was some off campus housing which consisted of an apartment complex on the north side of University Drive.

I remember when they built the first on campus housing. It seemed they had 4-bedroom units with 8 students in each unit.

Last edited by MisterEd51; 10-02-2018 at 10:41 PM..

Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
All UAH first and second year full-time undergraduate students with a permanent legal residence beyond a 30-mile radius from campus are required to live in the campus residence halls. There are limited number of exceptions to this.

UAH Residence Halls
Central Campus Residence Hall (CCH)
Charger Village (CGV)
Frank Franz Hall (FFH)
North Campus Residence Hall (NCH)
Southeast Campus Housing (SCH)

Off Campus Housing
UAH has contracts with the following apartment complexes:
Ashford Terrace
Highland Pointe
Emerald Ridge
Waterford Square

When I was an undergraduate at UAH back in the early 80's there was no on-campus housing. It seems there was some off campus housing which consisted of an apartment complex on the north side of University Drive.

I remember when they built the first on campus housing. It seemed they had 4-bedroom units with 8 students in each unit.
I wasn't aware that UAH was like most other schools now in that they require freshmen to live on campus. I really think that's a good thing to do, and in UAH's case, a good thing to be able to do. I think I remembered reading that a new residence hall is being built on campus.

Those off-campus apartments you mentioned ... one was called University Apartments, and I lived there along with roommates when I was a co-op student at NASA. They were fairly nice then, and the neighborhood was safe. That was a long time ago and the structures surely have suffered just from time and that part of town has gone downhill. In fact, just about anything north of University Drive has taken a turn for the worse.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:54 AM

2,458 posts, read 3,102,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I wasn't aware that UAH was like most other schools now in that they require freshmen to live on campus. I really think that's a good thing to do, and in UAH's case, a good thing to be able to do. I think I remembered reading that a new residence hall is being built on campus.
Yes, they started that around 5 or 6 years ago. They also have the mandatory meal plan like most other schools as well. They did the mandatory meal plan because apparently a lot of young college students are bad about pissing their money away and not budgeting for food for the semester. lol

Old 10-03-2018, 09:43 AM

4,743 posts, read 8,539,072 times
To clarify:

"All first and second year full-time undergraduate students with a permanent legal residence beyond a 30 mile radius from campus are required to live in the campus residence halls."

https://www.uah.edu/housing/prospect...-requirement-2

There are some exceptions (marriage, medical, et cetera), and there was a big stink about it when it was introduced. Many students can still live at home and attend UAH.

I lived in a few off-campus apartments and those have really deteriorated over time (some of them, like on Myrtlewood Drive, weren't very nice back then but at least there wasn't the level of crime that exists now). Just for fun, I searched for 'Huntsville myrtlewood' and the first result was a shooting :O

Old 10-03-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
To clarify:

"All first and second year full-time undergraduate students with a permanent legal residence beyond a 30 mile radius from campus are required to live in the campus residence halls."

https://www.uah.edu/housing/prospect...-requirement-2

There are some exceptions (marriage, medical, et cetera), and there was a big stink about it when it was introduced. Many students can still live at home and attend UAH.

I lived in a few off-campus apartments and those have really deteriorated over time (some of them, like on Myrtlewood Drive, weren't very nice back then but at least there wasn't the level of crime that exists now). Just for fun, I searched for 'Huntsville myrtlewood' and the first result was a shooting :O
Myrtlewood Dr. was exactly where I lived. This was in the late '60s, so they were still relatively new then, and really quite nice. There was another set of apartments straight down the street, paralleling Univ Drive, that were sorta modern/exotic looking for the era, and I think they were OK to live in then too. The neighborhood was pretty good ... the entire NW part of town was OK back then. It's certainy gone downhill now though.

Unless I'm mistaken, UAH actually bought the old University Apartments at some point. Maybe that was just temporary until they could get the dorms built. I also seem to recall that those apartments became low-rent housing at some point.

So now both freshmen and sophomores have to live on campus? That's not a bad move; at least they'll pay for the dorms that way. When I was in undergrad school in the '60s, the vast, vast majority of students at my school lived on campus. We just walked to class. Now, the vast majority live in apartments off campus, and parking has become a total nightmare.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Back to the OP's original question about safety -- the campus itself is safe. On the west side, across Sparkman are numerous office buildings, mostly aerospace/defense contractors, and even a couple of UAH buildings. That area is safe. On the east side, or the part I'm familiar with, is residential that seems to me to be old, but well-kept and is probably safe. However, to the north across University Drive, the seedy area starts and gets worse the farther north you go. It's not a place to venture into, especially at night.

Do other locals agree with that assessment?

Old 10-03-2018, 07:32 PM

767 posts, read 444,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyInAZ View Post
My senior in high school is considering various schools, including this one, to pursue engineering degree. We live in the western US and I thought he'd be interested in a larger university and Alabama is not a state he'd normally consider for college, but he is impressed with the engineering program and links to internship programs for students and hands-on experience.
Are many of the students commuters? Does the school attract many older students or are a good number of freshman right out of high school? Is there a strong sense of community among students to help make the college experience a positive one? Is the area around the school nice and are there things to do? He won't have a car so will be "stuck" on campus. Have never been there so am just trying to get a sense of the school and town (yes, ideally would be nice to visit, but easier said than done!)
Thanks!
I'd say you need to do your research on Huntsville's potential for him, in general. Look into the Arsenal and all the government contracting that goes along with that. If that is what your he wants to do and be a part of, including staying in Huntsville to work, then going to UAH is an excellent idea. It's a very good school, and there's a bunch of growth potential in the Huntsville area.

If you want to work elsewhere, I'd probably look elsewhere for schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area