U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2018, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
767 posts, read 444,227 times
Reputation: 1149

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Back to the OP's original question about safety -- the campus itself is safe. On the west side, across Sparkman are numerous office buildings, mostly aerospace/defense contractors, and even a couple of UAH buildings. That area is safe. On the east side, or the part I'm familiar with, is residential that seems to me to be old, but well-kept and is probably safe. However, to the north across University Drive, the seedy area starts and gets worse the farther north you go. It's not a place to venture into, especially at night.

Do other locals agree with that assessment?
Across 565, north of campus, and east of campus, it gets sketchy quick. I'd avoid all of that. I sold a car in those neighborhoods east of campus and it gets rough. West of campus, you're good.

I'd say in general, around Jordan Lane is 'okay', a lot of students living around there, and you'll be fine on 72, but the farther you go north or east it goes downhill.

In general, the campus area is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2018, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
2,388 posts, read 1,078,413 times
Reputation: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I'd say you need to do your research on Huntsville's potential for him, in general. Look into the Arsenal and all the government contracting that goes along with that. If that is what your he wants to do and be a part of, including staying in Huntsville to work, then going to UAH is an excellent idea. It's a very good school, and there's a bunch of growth potential in the Huntsville area.

If you want to work elsewhere, I'd probably look elsewhere for schooling.
That's probably true to a great extent. People move TO Huntsville with degrees from most any school, but I'm not sure a lot of UAH grads go elsewhere to work in their first job. It's probably not all that well known nationwide. Of course, the job market here at the moment is so good there's no need to go elsewhere unless you just want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 PM
 
1,058 posts, read 1,728,568 times
Reputation: 1371
My daughter is a Freshman at UAH - She is in the Honors college and lives on campus. She is having a great experience. For a school of its size it has a lot to offer. The dorms are amazing, they are all suite style meaning all students get their own room and share a bathroom with one other. My daughter is a strong STEM kid leaning towards med school for Medical Examiner. However, she is torn and is currently undeclared so she can explore.

We are from Northern Nevada originally but DD went to high school in Central Texas. She had no desire to attend a large sports school, she really likes the lack of football at UAH and enjoys hockey.

Here is an article that recently made its way to the Parent Page.
https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/i...milestone.html

My daughter was awarded a substantial merit scholarship which made UAH the school to beat - some came close, some were the same but UAH's small campus atmosphere and high stats were the final decision makers.

It was a great decision - now if we could just get more airline options (Like SWA) my life would be complete - getting to and from Huntsville is a bit of a pain and at 950 miles from home, its just a bit too long to drive in one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 01:48 PM
 
1,100 posts, read 1,065,081 times
Reputation: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
My daughter is a Freshman at UAH - She is in the Honors college and lives on campus. She is having a great experience. For a school of its size it has a lot to offer. The dorms are amazing, they are all suite style meaning all students get their own room and share a bathroom with one other. My daughter is a strong STEM kid leaning towards med school for Medical Examiner. However, she is torn and is currently undeclared so she can explore.

We are from Northern Nevada originally but DD went to high school in Central Texas. She had no desire to attend a large sports school, she really likes the lack of football at UAH and enjoys hockey.

Here is an article that recently made its way to the Parent Page.
https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/i...milestone.html

My daughter was awarded a substantial merit scholarship which made UAH the school to beat - some came close, some were the same but UAH's small campus atmosphere and high stats were the final decision makers.

It was a great decision - now if we could just get more airline options (Like SWA) my life would be complete - getting to and from Huntsville is a bit of a pain and at 950 miles from home, its just a bit too long to drive in one day.
Congrats! she has a great future ahead.
There are good fares to be had from HSV to Dallas, Houston, Denver, just have to a bit flexible. Frontier has helped lower prices already.
Huntsville Traveler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 02:40 PM
 
1,058 posts, read 1,728,568 times
Reputation: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Congrats! she has a great future ahead.
There are good fares to be had from HSV to Dallas, Houston, Denver, just have to a bit flexible. Frontier has helped lower prices already.
Huntsville Traveler
Our nearest airport is Austin - Dallas and Houston are 4 hour drives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
2,388 posts, read 1,078,413 times
Reputation: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Our nearest airport is Austin - Dallas and Houston are 4 hour drives
There are no non-stop flights, or possibly even any direct flights, to and from Huntsville/Austin. Best you could do is probably a flight to either Dallas or Houston, and then to Huntsville, or possibly Austin to Atlanta, then to Huntsville, and vice versa.

The good part is that that UAH is only about 5 miles from the airport, there's a nice freeway between the two, and there is also a brand new Drury Inns & Suites that opened about a month ago very near the campus and across from the US Space and Rocket Center. And it's in a safe area.

I think your daughter will enjoy Huntsville. I went to grad school there many years ago and enjoyed it immensely. Of couse, the school was a lot smaller then, and I think the graduate school was larger than the undergraduate. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, the school started out solely as a graduate school, largely spearheaded by von Braun.

I'm with you ... I hope they never have football. There's way too much emphasis placed on sports instead of academics, especially football, nowadays. The Ivy League schools have it right.

If she's in a technical field, and it sounds like she will be, she might want to consider the co-op program, working with NASA, the Army, or one of the private companies. It's a great way to go to college and gain work experience at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 02:01 AM
 
Location: North Phoenix
6 posts, read 2,349 times
Reputation: 15
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment. My son is interested in aerospace engineering and has been admitted to both UA Huntsville and Arizona State University. We recently did a one day orientation on the ASU campus which is near our home and it was impressive - lots of research going on, vibrant campus, new hi-tech engineering dorm, etc. It is a huge university, but the college of engineering is trying to make their students feel like a community and not lost in a big crowd. UAH would give him an out of state college experience, the school is headed in the right direction with regards to providing a stronger community feel for non computer students, and based on his grades and test scores he was awarded 100% tuition financial aid which makes the overall cost of of UAH about the same as going to ASU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 03:31 AM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
2,388 posts, read 1,078,413 times
Reputation: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyInAZ View Post
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment. My son is interested in aerospace engineering and has been admitted to both UA Huntsville and Arizona State University. We recently did a one day orientation on the ASU campus which is near our home and it was impressive - lots of research going on, vibrant campus, new hi-tech engineering dorm, etc. It is a huge university, but the college of engineering is trying to make their students feel like a community and not lost in a big crowd. UAH would give him an out of state college experience, the school is headed in the right direction with regards to providing a stronger community feel for non computer students, and based on his grades and test scores he was awarded 100% tuition financial aid which makes the overall cost of of UAH about the same as going to ASU.
You might want to check out Mississippi State. They have an excellent Aerospace Engineering school, and a super friendly campus. It's moderately large (about 22,000 students), and has a pretty big sports following if that's a plus or minus for him. That's where I went to undergrad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 10:22 AM
 
102 posts, read 74,677 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Back to the OP's original question about safety -- the campus itself is safe. On the west side, across Sparkman are numerous office buildings, mostly aerospace/defense contractors, and even a couple of UAH buildings. That area is safe. On the east side, or the part I'm familiar with, is residential that seems to me to be old, but well-kept and is probably safe. However, to the north across University Drive, the seedy area starts and gets worse the farther north you go. It's not a place to venture into, especially at night.

Do other locals agree with that assessment?


I'm a local, and I completely agree with this assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
1,595 posts, read 4,051,043 times
Reputation: 1397
For aerospace engineering, I don't think you can go wrong with UAH. The out of state college experience is worth it IMO... Huntsville, as unglamorous as it may be, is a great community, but it's not just about Huntsville. I can say as someone who grew up and went to college in the southwest (Southern California) that living in the southeast has broadened my experiences substantially. I'd probably been on nearly 20 road trips around the southwest prior to moving here, and being in a new region of the country was really refreshing in terms of day drips and road trips and opportunities for new experiences. And if he ends up liking it here, it's a great place for employment in his field, low cost of living, and great place to raise a family. (And if he doesn't like it - no time like college graduation to move!)

I'll also say that any definition people give you here of a "sketchy" area is tame compared to what exists in a place like Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top