Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:32 AM

614 posts, read 766,320 times

Advertisements

Some things from then we no longer have: Dipper Dan. Burger Chef. The super slide behind Parkway City Mall. The Mall.

In 1983 we moved from Huntsville, way out into the county in Harvest. Now we live in town and we haven't moved. Funny how these things happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 09:59 AM

27 posts, read 22,152 times
Default 1960s southeast Huntsville

Yes, we even put a 55 gallon drum in the trunk of a 65 Ford and besides filling up the car, brought back a little extras. While I'm on "old times", does anyone remember Hines Salvage Yard? I recall it was on the west side of 231, perhaps near the old airport.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:06 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,780 times
Yes, I recall Hinds Salvage yard. Mr. Hinds was a crusty gentleman, but he had things in that junkyard that you couldn’t find anywhere else. He passed a decade (maybe two) or so ago and the house on Weatherly sat vacant for a good while. I think the City ended up buying and cleaning up the old salvage yard site. It was located on Vermont Road, the last street to the right before you get to Martin Road.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:07 PM

Thanks very much for the information. I brought the subject of Hinds salvage yard up to my brother and we couldn't remember exactly where it was located. My Dad visited with Mr. Hinds on one trip out, my Dad was describing some things that were brought back on his Liberty ship from Germany at the end of WWII, and it seems from the conversation Mr. Hinds had some experiences there also. Wish I had taken notes! We used to go through things like Xerox machines looking for electronic parts. Once he had a body for a rocket there.
We also made a few trips to a landfill someplace, I believe we were looking for parts from some telephones that came from the Automatic Electric plant...of course those trips were a little more....smelly lol.
I didn't know he lived on Weatherly. I grew up on Coronado and my first house was on Strong Court. Looking to return after 35 years away but.....Huntsville has changed a little bit!!

Old 02-17-2021, 08:24 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
Some things from then we no longer have: Dipper Dan. Burger Chef. The super slide behind Parkway City Mall. The Mall.

In 1983 we moved from Huntsville, way out into the county in Harvest. Now we live in town and we haven't moved. Funny how these things happen.
Also don't have Shoney's or Jerry's.

We moved to Edgewater in 1989 and it was in the country then. Our friends wanted to know why we moved "way out there". Now, it's all built up.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:34 AM

Hamburger place in Five Points, think it was called Zesto's. Used to go to some store in the Haysland Square Mall and look at their Sears Catalog. Terry's pizza there. When I was last in town (year ago) I noticed the Gibson's BBQ on south Whitesburg had closed.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:02 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,780 times
Zesto’s was formerly a chain of walk up eateries which had hamburgers, “Dip Dogs” (corn dogs in other environs), ice cream and shakes, fries, etc. The store here was owned and run by Houston Goodson, an educator and City Councilman, for many years. Family members were an important part of the Zesto workforce. Us older former patrons still miss it.

Sears had a “Sears Outlet Store” for years in Haysland Square, I firmly believe that the day they closed that store was the beginning of the end of Haysland Square as we knew it. It and Western Auto were the only thing close to hardware stores we had down here in the early years.

Last edited by nalabama; 02-17-2021 at 02:31 PM..

Old 02-17-2021, 06:41 PM

My Dad always liked Britling Cafeteria and Bon-Air. I didn't care where we ate as long as they had hamburgers and fries.

Huntsville, in 1964, was our first home with central air conditioning (Maryland and Virginia prior residences).

Old 02-18-2021, 08:31 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Zesto’s was formerly a chain of walk up eateries which had hamburgers, “Dip Dogs” (corn dogs in other environs), ice cream and shakes, fries, etc. The store here was owned and run by Houston Goodson, an educator and City Councilman, for many years. Family members were an important part of the Zesto workforce. Us older former patrons still miss it.

Sears had a “Sears Outlet Store” for years in Haysland Square, I firmly believe that the day they closed that store was the beginning of the end of Haysland Square as we knew it. It and Western Auto were the only thing close to hardware stores we had down here in the early years.

When did Moore Handly (sp?) move in? I recall them being the only hardware store I could find in S. Hsv when we moved here.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:58 AM

I sure don't remember. I do recall shopping at a hardware store on or near Superior, the short road that branches off of Whitesburg, south of Lilly Flagg.

Other comment - offered just in case someone has some knowledge here also - My neighbor's last name was Hastings, over on Strong Court. He owned a trucking company and he and his son would perform maintenance in a large building on Superior behind his house. I think his wife was related to my mechanical drawing teacher at HHS, Coach Bob. Anyway I guess their business closed? Seems there was a nursery on Superior last time I was in town. As far as the hardware store, I seem to recall it became a paint store? And something else now? Haysland Square, seems it was a Belks......Farley post office someplace. Sorry if I'm a little fuzzy on the details...been awhile. I think Weatherly was a dirt road when we moved there..or at least was just being paved out near Bailey Cove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area