U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2018, 01:55 PM

167 posts, read 477,223 times

Advertisements

There is a chance I will be moving soon (4-5 months) to the Huntsville area, working at Redstone. I currently live in Washington Metropolitan area and am very excited about this move. I finally will be closer to my hometown in the Tallahassee, Florida area. Right now, my choice of residence is Madison, AL. It seems this is a nice area, not too far from Redstone, and provides easy access to North Florida. A few things:

1) I have been renting all my life (apartments) and am considering buying a house. My job will pay for my relocation and provides time to look for a home. I have decided to buy a home in Madison.

2) If I decide to rent an apartment, many I have considered are: Colonial Grand at Edgewater; Sunlake at Edgewater; and The Landings at Edgewater. Colonial Grand at Edgewater is my top choice. The other two are in consideration because of their proximity to a fishing lake.

3) I enjoy freshwater fishing (bream, catfish, bass, perch). Is there a fishing lake in the area you would recommend?

4). I typically workout M-W-F-Sa. Gold's gym does not have an office in the area so I will have to cancel my membership with them soon. Any good choices on a gym? I would prefer a gym with offices also in Florida. I have researched Anytime Fitness, they have an office in Madison and offices throughout Florida. I assume people also utilize the gyms on the base - that is another option for me.

5) I love southern food (cracker barrel, waffle house, buffets, soul food) and can't wait to try some of the places there. The first place I want to go to is Little Libby's Catfish. I am sure store recommendations for my noted food choices have been asked multiple times in this forum, so I will research it more.

If possible, please provide any helpful information to assist with my move. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 03:32 PM

541 posts, read 648,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSoldier View Post
There is a chance I will be moving soon (4-5 months) to the Huntsville area, working at Redstone. I currently live in Washington Metropolitan area and am very excited about this move. I finally will be closer to my hometown in the Tallahassee, Florida area. Right now, my choice of residence is Madison, AL. It seems this is a nice area, not too far from Redstone, and provides easy access to North Florida. A few things:

1) I have been renting all my life (apartments) and am considering buying a house. My job will pay for my relocation and provides time to look for a home. I have decided to buy a home in Madison.

2) If I decide to rent an apartment, many I have considered are: Colonial Grand at Edgewater; Sunlake at Edgewater; and The Landings at Edgewater. Colonial Grand at Edgewater is my top choice. The other two are in consideration because of their proximity to a fishing lake.

3) I enjoy freshwater fishing (bream, catfish, bass, perch). Is there a fishing lake in the area you would recommend?

4). I typically workout M-W-F-Sa. Gold's gym does not have an office in the area so I will have to cancel my membership with them soon. Any good choices on a gym? I would prefer a gym with offices also in Florida. I have researched Anytime Fitness, they have an office in Madison and offices throughout Florida. I assume people also utilize the gyms on the base - that is another option for me.

5) I love southern food (cracker barrel, waffle house, buffets, soul food) and can't wait to try some of the places there. The first place I want to go to is Little Libby's Catfish. I am sure store recommendations for my noted food choices have been asked multiple times in this forum, so I will research it more.

If possible, please provide any helpful information to assist with my move. Thanks.

Answers as best I can:

1. Good choice, lived there 20 years, great place for a family. There's a bunch of real estate types here who can help you with that.

2. Haven't rented in +30 years, can't help you.

3. Pick up a rock. Throw it. Chances are it will land in a decent lake/pond/river to fish out of. TN River, Guntersville Lake, Smith Lake, hundreds of smaller ponds, Paint Rock River, Flint River, Wheeler Wildlife National Refuge, tons of places.

4. Can't help you there, other than see #1.

5. Libby's Madison used to be Jackson's Family Restaurant, great place for breakfast and lunch. Last time I was there (+5 years ago) they still had the same waitresses working for them and the food was great. Can't recommend Corner Pit BBQ anymore since it burned down - again. Bridge Street has some good places, we like BJ's, O'Connors and the Texas de Brazil place (bring $$$ and an appetite). Chuck Wagon BBQ in Madison is open for lunch, prepare to wait.

You didn't ask, but there are now tons of microbreweries in the north Alabama area, most in the Huntsville/Madison area.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:46 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,685,931 times
You picked perfectly. Madison is a great town.

The Landings at Edgewater are in my neighborhood, toward the back. They seem to be nice enough and relatively quiet. There appears to be several young families with young children there, but since I have a house I've never been inside one of the units, and I haven't even driven around there for some months.

Colonial Grand is just down Zierdt Rd from Edgewater, and actually is in Huntsville instead of Madison (if that matters to you for school districts). Actually, I think the Landings are also in Huntsville, since the lines separating the two cities runs right through Edgewater. It's larger, and also seem quite nice. If you choose Colonial Grand, Redstone Arsenal property is literally across the street, but the neareast gate is a couple miles away. The Arsenal is huge, about 40,000 acres, so your office could still be some miles away, depending on where you work. NASA buildings are closer to that area than the Army ones. But Research Park is only about 4-5 miles away where most of the aerospace and defense contractors are located.

You mentioned fishing. Colonial Grand actually has access to the same lake, Lady Ann Lake, and many of their units actually back up to it. It would be a matter of walking out into your back yard. It's a private lake owned by Edgewater, so only residents and their guests can use it. It's fairly big ... I think about 160 acres.

I think Sunlake is a couple miles away on Madison Blvd and not on a lake. I haven't been there in a while so can't really comment.

There's another complex just west of there at the corner of Madison Blvd and Hughes Rd that seems really nice, and probably pricey. There's a small lake there but I don't know if it's big enough for fishing or not.

There's no shortage of apartments in Madison, so you should have your choice. Welcome aboard. Living in the Washington area, you probably have plenty of Southern food options there too since it's sort of a Southern town, but there are some "delicacies" here that might be a little different.

Edit to add: Unless it's closed, there is a Gold's Gym in Huntsville. There are numerous others around, including 24-Hour Fitness, and one not far way from the areas you're looking at, next to the main Intergraph building. Also, if you will be working for the Army or NASA, each one of those has a well-equipped gym for a real bargain price. There's also the Wellness Center run by Huntsville Hospital that is excellent.

Last edited by RocketDawg; 10-16-2018 at 05:55 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
Answers as best I can:

1. Good choice, lived there 20 years, great place for a family. There's a bunch of real estate types here who can help you with that.

2. Haven't rented in +30 years, can't help you.

3. Pick up a rock. Throw it. Chances are it will land in a decent lake/pond/river to fish out of. TN River, Guntersville Lake, Smith Lake, hundreds of smaller ponds, Paint Rock River, Flint River, Wheeler Wildlife National Refuge, tons of places.

4. Can't help you there, other than see #1.

5. Libby's Madison used to be Jackson's Family Restaurant, great place for breakfast and lunch. Last time I was there (+5 years ago) they still had the same waitresses working for them and the food was great. Can't recommend Corner Pit BBQ anymore since it burned down - again. Bridge Street has some good places, we like BJ's, O'Connors and the Texas de Brazil place (bring $$$ and an appetite). Chuck Wagon BBQ in Madison is open for lunch, prepare to wait.

You didn't ask, but there are now tons of microbreweries in the north Alabama area, most in the Huntsville/Madison area.
Thank you very much for your quick response - it is much appreciated. I will visit the lakes/rivers you mentioned when I arrive. Chuck Wagon BBQ also seems appetizing

Thanks again.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You picked perfectly. Madison is a great town.

The Landings at Edgewater are in my neighborhood, toward the back. They seem to be nice enough and relatively quiet. There appears to be several young families with young children there, but since I have a house I've never been inside one of the units, and I haven't even driven around there for some months.

Colonial Grand is just down Zierdt Rd from Edgewater, and actually is in Huntsville instead of Madison (if that matters to you for school districts). Actually, I think the Landings are also in Huntsville, since the lines separating the two cities runs right through Edgewater. It's larger, and also seem quite nice. If you choose Colonial Grand, Redstone Arsenal property is literally across the street, but the neareast gate is a couple miles away. The Arsenal is huge, about 40,000 acres, so your office could still be some miles away, depending on where you work. NASA buildings are closer to that area than the Army ones. But Research Park is only about 4-5 miles away where most of the aerospace and defense contractors are located.

You mentioned fishing. Colonial Grand actually has access to the same lake, Lady Ann Lake, and many of their units actually back up to it. It would be a matter of walking out into your back yard. It's a private lake owned by Edgewater, so only residents and their guests can use it. It's fairly big ... I think about 160 acres.

I think Sunlake is a couple miles away on Madison Blvd and not on a lake. I haven't been there in a while so can't really comment.

There's another complex just west of there at the corner of Madison Blvd and Hughes Rd that seems really nice, and probably pricey. There's a small lake there but I don't know if it's big enough for fishing or not.

There's no shortage of apartments in Madison, so you should have your choice. Welcome aboard. Living in the Washington area, you probably have plenty of Southern food options there too since it's sort of a Southern town, but there are some "delicacies" here that might be a little different.

Edit to add: Unless it's closed, there is a Gold's Gym in Huntsville. There are numerous others around, including 24-Hour Fitness, and one not far way from the areas you're looking at, next to the main Intergraph building. Also, if you will be working for the Army or NASA, each one of those has a well-equipped gym for a real bargain price. There's also the Wellness Center run by Huntsville Hospital that is excellent.
Thank you very much for responding. I forgot to add Colonial Grand at Madison as one of my choices. I believe that is the one located at Madison Blvd/Hughes Rd. So right now it's between Colonial Grand at Madison or the Colonial Grand at Edgewater - if I decide to go the apartment route.

You are right that Washington Metropolitan Area has Southern options. But just not as many as compared to the south and some restaurants overcharge in my opinion. I also miss places like Zaxbys... I believe there may be a Zaxbys in Richmond, Virginia, which is hours from where I reside.

Unfortunately the Gold's Gym in Huntsville closed down based on my research, but 24-Hour Fitness looks like a great facility with a great website. The membership plans are amazing ($19 per month for the basic plan)! I will take a look at the Wellness Center tomorrow.

I am looking forward to coming and escaping the heavy traffic in D.C./Northern Virginia.

Thanks again.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 PM

428 posts, read 559,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Sunlake is on Zierdt Road right past Colonial Grand at Edgewater. It does have units that face Lady Ann Lake. Sunlake at Edgewater - Apartments in Huntsville, AL

Old 10-17-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
Sunlake is on Zierdt Road right past Colonial Grand at Edgewater. It does have units that face Lady Ann Lake. Sunlake at Edgewater - Apartments in Huntsville, AL
Since I haven't lived in an apartment for years, I'm apparently mixing names. The one I was thinking of as Sunlake is on the north side of Hwy 20 just west of the little shopping center that has Publix, on the street with the convenience store that has the "dog wash".

At any rate, I think the OP will be happy with any of the apartment choices.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenSoldier View Post
Thank you very much for responding. I forgot to add Colonial Grand at Madison as one of my choices. I believe that is the one located at Madison Blvd/Hughes Rd. So right now it's between Colonial Grand at Madison or the Colonial Grand at Edgewater - if I decide to go the apartment route.

You are right that Washington Metropolitan Area has Southern options. But just not as many as compared to the south and some restaurants overcharge in my opinion. I also miss places like Zaxbys... I believe there may be a Zaxbys in Richmond, Virginia, which is hours from where I reside.

Unfortunately the Gold's Gym in Huntsville closed down based on my research, but 24-Hour Fitness looks like a great facility with a great website. The membership plans are amazing ($19 per month for the basic plan)! I will take a look at the Wellness Center tomorrow.

I am looking forward to coming and escaping the heavy traffic in D.C./Northern Virginia.

Thanks again.
One thing I didn't mention ... if you choose those apartments around Edgewater, you'll have to fight road construction for the next couple of years. Zierdt Rd is being expanded to a four lane road, divided with a grass median, from Madison Blvd south to Martin Rd ... a distance of about 4 miles. This is the infamous project that began about 10 years ago and still isn't more than half finished. It appears that constructon is about to restart on the southbound lanes right away, so it will be a muddy mess getting to the completed northbound lanes (that will be temporarily used for both directions) because you'll have to cross over the new lanes to get to the paved ones. Work will also be underway at the intersections at both Martin Rd and Madison Blvd.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:20 PM

247 posts, read 128,250 times
RocketDawg brings up a great point wrt construction. I lived at Colonial Grand at Edgewater when it first opened (called Grandview Towers back then) and the little lake did have brim and some bass but I never was able to get anything other than brim.

Colonial Grand at Madison is on the corner of Hughes and Madison Blvd; easy access to I565 which you'll take to get into gate 9. Start early, traffic going through the gate backs up fast.

Plenty of homes of all prices in Madison. You cannot go wrong. Great schools, good people, and close to larger roads to get you to Huntsville and beyond.

Tallahassee native; if you're a Noles fan then you'll have a few shoulders to cry on as we endure a rough season. There are a lot of similarities between Tallahassee & Huntsville/Madison. I think you'll like it. Good luck.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
I was thinking of the complex north of Madison Blvd on the road by the same name as the apartments, that intersects Madison Blvd at the little convenience store with the dog wash. The name totally evades me at the moment. Ah ... just thought of it. Flagstone!

Both Sunlake and Colonial Grand at Edgewater (seems like it had a different name when it first opened) on Zierdt Rd are in Huntsville unless I'm sadly mistaken, but they may as well be in Madison. The only difference would be the ZIP Code and school district if you happen to have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area