Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 05:32 AM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there have ever been any plans for an additional bridge over the river, possibly at Triana leading into the Somerville area. Seems that would be a good idea, and would enable further development below the river into Morngan County, a plus for the entire metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:23 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,588 times
Considering we can't even get other road projects completed up here in a reasonable time, much less fast tracking a 565 expansion. Expect your great-grandchildren to still be asking for this.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:07 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Let's please focus on widening 72 and 565 first...

Old 10-22-2018, 02:25 PM

396 posts, read 664,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Let's please focus on widening 72 and 565 first...
I agree. Let’s try to get ahead of the traffic we know is coming

Old 10-22-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Considering we can't even get other road projects completed up here in a reasonable time, much less fast tracking a 565 expansion. Expect your great-grandchildren to still be asking for this.
Yeah, that's true ... wishful thinking. At one time, the idea of an Atlanta-Huntsville-Memphis freeway seem to be getting somewhat firmer, but now it's totally trashed.

Actually, AlDoT won't fastrack anything for this area. Perhaps cynically speaking, in 50 years, when this is the largest metro in the state, we'll probably still be using the same roads as they are now except for further deterioration.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 8,308 times
They once talked about a toll bridge years ago.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:48 AM

294 posts, read 235,464 times
They also talked about replacing BOTH Whitesburg bridges, they built the southbound, made it the northbound. Blew up the old northbound. Did the dirt moving on the banks for the new northbound... then nothing.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:12 PM

100 posts, read 112,033 times
The Memphis to Atlanta Highway was planned to follow US 72 for the most part up to Hillsboro where a new bridge was planned to cross the river near the Lawrence/Morgan County line, then it would go north to Huntsville/Brownsferry, then east before diving back down to I-565. I think that the Greenbrier Parkway would become the east end of the tie in. This would at least get a lot traffic out of Decatur along Hwy. 20. It would be nice to have another crossing at the Beltline that would tie in to the M/AH north of the river. I also think there should be another crossing east of I-65, possibly at County Line Rd./Wall Triana or somewhat further east of there. Of course these are what I would like to see, so probably not very relistic in our lifetimes.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:05 PM

152 posts, read 240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
They also talked about replacing BOTH Whitesburg bridges, they built the southbound, made it the northbound. Blew up the old northbound. Did the dirt moving on the banks for the new northbound... then nothing.
I seem to remember something from ALDOT (either an article or schedule) saying that the earliest they could start on the new northbound bridge was in like, 2031. Those bridges cost a friggin' fortune to build.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogan View Post
I seem to remember something from ALDOT (either an article or schedule) saying that the earliest they could start on the new northbound bridge was in like, 2031. Those bridges cost a friggin' fortune to build.
And they take forever to build. The two spans at Scottsboro must have taken 10-15 years. It's a matter of AlDoT's priorities though.

Speaking of the Whitesburg bridge ... I really don't think it's all that bad now. I remember when I first came here it was narrow and two-way. The way the approach from the south is done is a little screwy (I suppose because it was meant to meet up with the new span that's never been built) but the bridge itself seems adequate to me. They need to increase the height of the concrete edges though ... they're the same height as the ones on the 565 interchange where the school bus went over a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area