U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 08:12 PM

2,821 posts, read 1,256,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Gate 9 is a nightmare if you hit it at the wrong time. It has gotten better but still....
Yes, it certainly is, or used to be at least before then moved it south on Rideout Rd. Possibly the congestion just moved farther south so it can't be seen from 565. They've added a couple more gate lanes that should help, but the biggest aid will be the relaxation of entry requirements, one of which is that the driver can vouch for all passengers instead of each having to show a badge or some sort of access credential.

I don't go in any more at rush hour since I retired.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:23 PM

60 posts, read 1,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernasty View Post
Hello,

I've read several threads and done quite a bit of research on zillow, but we are still stuck. My wife and I will be moving to Huntsville at the beginning of February. She is 28 and I'm 32. We don't have kids but plan on starting our family within the next couple years.

I'll be working at Redstone and she is an elementary school teacher. We are trying to stay within about a 30 minute drive to the arsenal.

We have always rented, but are getting to the point of wanting to buy, our only hesitation is not knowing the area very well and may end up renting for a few months until we can find a home we want to buy.

Some top considerations for us are as follows:
1. Safety of neighborhood
2. Proximity to Redstone, grocery stores, and shopping. We don't want to live too far away from everyone that we would need to drive 20 minutes to a grocery store, but still want some space between us and our neighbors. Right now the rental home we are in is about 10 feet from our neighbors (a little too close for my tastes).
3. We would love to find about a half acre or more.
4. Good schools will be important as we raise a family.
5. We would love to avoid tons of traffic.
6. We would like to find a growing area.
7. Affordability
8. Proximity to walking or hiking trails.

With all that in mind, what are some growing areas that might have families or couples similar to us living near by?

We have looked at Madison, which seems great in all aspects until you look at the traffic. We have also looked a little bit in the big cove area or Jones valley, but other than that we don't know much about specific areas.

Thanks in Advance!
It's hard NOT to find what you're looking for based on your considerations. But one thing that stuck out is the 1/2 acre or more. Be careful about buying too large of a lot or a street or neighborhood with large lots. If you're starting a family you want high "neighborhood kid density". Lots of kids to play with.
Hampton Cove
Madison
Jones Valley
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or