U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 06:24 PM

541 posts, read 648,054 times

Advertisements

Whatever you do, forget SC TN, don't bother, not worth it, you'll end up regretting it!

- Horrible traffic. I went to town a couple days ago (Ardmore, about 10 miles away), passed three (3!!!) cars on the way. I almost ended up behind someone in a truck, but then they decided to turn left in Ardmore.

- It's so crowded, you end up living right on top of each other. For example, my next door neighbors live right in my front yard, see pic for proof.

- Traffic noise is horrendous. At least once per month, I hear the mil-choppers from Ft. Campbell as they fly into Hsv International. And then there's a train about 3 miles away. The guys who drive the train went to the same school as the guys who drive police cars in Madison at night - they love their horns and sirens.

- Exorbitant land prices. About a year or so ago, a neighbor sold his 53 acres for $2500/acre. Highway robbery!

- Crappy views; I mean like take a single glance and throw up in your mouth kind of views. See the pic (warning graphic!).

A pic of my neighbor's house right in my front yard:

Typical view around here. WARNING GRAPHIC!!!!!!

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 06:38 PM

4,653 posts, read 2,675,021 times
FTG, I agree, that's a horrible view. What's the animal in second picture, lower right? Looks like a mountain lion.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:55 PM

541 posts, read 648,054 times
Funny you should mention that: Someone on another forum said exactly the same thing. That's Molly, our Anatolian Shepard we stole in 2009.

Back to the thread at hand:

Advice on where to live in North AL:

- Schools - Madison City; unless you can afford to go private.

- Views - Rainbow Mountain in Madison or the hills to the east of Hsv.

- Nightlife - Downtown Hsv. or near Bridge Street.

- Country living - SC TN (see caveats above ) or NE Madison county (north of Hwy 72)

- Close to Redstone/MSFC/Jetplex (airport or Boeing) - Madison or Hsv/Zeirdt Road

- Kids - Madison

- Water - TN River (Hsv, Athens, Decatur); Guntersville Lake (commute); Smith Lake Cullman (ditto)

Old 03-02-2019, 12:11 PM

5,651 posts, read 9,497,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
Google "housing market crash 2018"

It will return numerous sites.

one example:

https://www.housingwire.com/articles...housing-market

One Saturday Morning grab yourself a cup of coffee and watch Financial News.

We sold our house in Madison back in September, 2017.

The house went on the market on Friday, had an open house on Saturday, and we received an offer on Monday morning.

If there was a housing market crash, we did not see it, feel it, or impacted by it.

When we bought our house, I had re-sale value in mind already. The City of Madison is a very desirable area simply for the quality of its schools. It is also a very diverse city with lots of good ethnic restaurants.

As for its "congested traffic"? Nah - we lived close to Countyline road, the WIDEST road in Madison, and I commute to Redstone via back roads. What traffic?

I can't say enough for my realtor! She was fantastic to work with. It's too bad we can't post recommendation here, but if anyone is interested, DM me and I'd be happy to provide recommendation.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:53 PM

27 posts, read 17,394 times
East limestone community or Athens. Good schools, land still affordable, from the arsenal easy drive... stay away from Madison and anything north of hwy 72

Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,403,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squat700 View Post
East limestone community or Athens. Good schools, land still affordable, from the arsenal easy drive... stay away from Madison and anything north of hwy 72
East Limestone is north of 72...

Old 03-12-2019, 02:01 PM

152 posts, read 91,344 times
I'd hate to see another housing crash. Our house is still worth $30K less than what we paid for it in 2007 in Laurenwood Preserve.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:03 PM

151 posts, read 108,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
I'd hate to see another housing crash. Our house is still worth $30K less than what we paid for it in 2007 in Laurenwood Preserve.
Surprised to hear that in Madison? Did you just really overpay for the home at the time or?

Old 03-12-2019, 04:23 PM

602 posts, read 750,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post

The reason that your house is still worth $30K less than what you paid for it in 2017 is that Lauren Preserve is in the City of Huntsville and is zoned for some Huntsville City Schools (Providence Elementary, Williams Middle and Columbia High) which don't have very high academic rankings on websites like Schooldigger or GreatSchools. While a lot of the Monrovia area may have a Madison mailing address, none of the neighborhoods north of U.S. 72 are in the City of Madison.

The Village of Providence is an exception as it is zoned for those three same schools, yet the homes appear to be selling pretty well. In fact, the developers just submitted a plan to the City of Huntsville's Planning Commission for 286 more lots on the west side of Indian Creek. The last phase is almost all sold out (with the exception of the townhouses). I think the difference is that the people buying there are either empty nesters or if they do have kids, they plan on sending them to private school - (for example Westminster Christian Academy is less than a mile away and Madison Academy and Pope John Paul Catholic High School are just on the other side of Cummings Research Park). While the price of homes in Providence may start in the $300's, the homes are in the starter price range are not that large (starting at 1,600 sq. ft.) and wouldn't be as attractive to a family with two or three kids. Those families in a home that is worth $500K and up will be more likely to be able to afford private school.

FYI: In 2015 to 2016, when Huntsville City Schools was trying to get out from under the 1970 desegregation lawsuit, the presiding Judge asked for the number of students in each of the city's elementary school districts who attended private school. At that time there were 400 students zoned for Providence Elementary School who attended a private school. That figure is staggering and it had the highest number of any district in the City of Huntsville. (The next highest were in the wealthier neighborhoods close to downtown). Providence Elementary would be a different school if those 400 kids attended there.

Oddly enough, there are more families in the Huntsville High School district who are opting for private education for their kids, so it could be that the premium of being located in certain public school districts could be of less value than it has in the past. Given the highly rated schools in the City of Madison, it is surprising, to me at least, that we aren't seeing a lot of the older (Pre 1980's built) homes in Madison being torn down for newer more expensive homes to take advantage of the schools. I thought of this recently while driving down Old Madison Pike just east of Hughes Rd. which is an area with a lot of 1960's and 70's era homes. This phenomenon is taking place in the City of Huntsville in the neighborhoods along Bob Wallace between Huntsville High School and Whitesburg Dr. where many of the 1940's era homes are being removed for newer houses.

Last edited by David1502; 03-12-2019 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or