U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:30 PM

109 posts, read 66,096 times

Advertisements

Not sure I like the idea of a round-about at Brownsferry and Burgreen

Announcement below is on the city website:

Public Meeting on Road Improvement Projects

Improving Huntsville-Brownsferry

The City of Madison will hold a public meeting for proposed improvements to Huntsville-Brownsferry Road and Hughes Road on Wednesday, December 12th, between 5:30 and 7:00 pm, in the Council Chambers of City Hall. The public is invited to review the proposed improvements and discuss the projects to provide input for design. The proposed improvements for Huntsville-Brownsferry Road can be viewed HERE:

https://www.madisonal.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=996
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 08:36 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,045,977 times
I dunno ... I kinda like the roundabouts. They're certainly more asthetically appealing than an all-way stop. I like the idea of an island in the center with something interesting there, like the clock that's downtown H'ville at the main library.

What's happening to Hughes Rd? I see it's mentioned in the title, but could never see what's being done to Hughes.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 PM

17,033 posts, read 51,894,772 times
There is one north of Publix in Athens. I was dubious at first, but after using it a few times I like.

(As an aside, given a chance, Athens traffic engineers would be shot by antagonists of global warming. I have never seen a city more intent on controlling traffic by timing traffic signals to require repeated stops and forcing cars to line up and spew exhaust.)

Old 12-10-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There is one north of Publix in Athens. I was dubious at first, but after using it a few times I like.

(As an aside, given a chance, Athens traffic engineers would be shot by antagonists of global warming. I have never seen a city more intent on controlling traffic by timing traffic signals to require repeated stops and forcing cars to line up and spew exhaust.)
Are the signals in Athens timed, or demand-controlled? Seems like most of the lights in Huntsville/Madison have sensors that control the lights, so one car on a side street will cause an entire platoon of cars to have to stop. Of course, otherwise the guy might never get onto the street.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:29 PM

353 posts, read 418,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I dunno ... I kinda like the roundabouts. They're certainly more asthetically appealing than an all-way stop. I like the idea of an island in the center with something interesting there, like the clock that's downtown H'ville at the main library.

What's happening to Hughes Rd? I see it's mentioned in the title, but could never see what's being done to Hughes.

Hughes will be 5 lanes from Plaza Drive (or more technically in front of Burger King where the lane currently merges) to Millford which is at the Wellington subdivision.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:19 AM

17,033 posts, read 51,894,772 times
Quote:
Are the signals in Athens timed, or demand-controlled? Seems like most of the lights in Huntsville/Madison have sensors that control the lights, so one car on a side street will cause an entire platoon of cars to have to stop. Of course, otherwise the guy might never get onto the street.
In town Athens lights are timed near the square to bring all traffic to at least a couple of complete stops. Watching a traffic light one block ahead turn red just as the one you are at turns green is aggravating. Even 72 is not set to allow smooth traffic flow.

After about 11 PM, much of Huntsville has 72 timed so that a steady 45mph speed will get a green light flow. Madison is more iffy, and the light at Mooresville Road is positively passive-aggressive.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:20 AM

97 posts, read 137,057 times
Quote:

Document on Hughes road widening can be seen here:

https://www.madisonal.gov/DocumentCe...JCHa1k417ma13A

Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 PM

37 posts, read 9,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmoyne View Post
Not sure I like the idea of a round-about at Brownsferry and Burgreen

Announcement below is on the city website:

Public Meeting on Road Improvement Projects

Improving Huntsville-Brownsferry

The City of Madison will hold a public meeting for proposed improvements to Huntsville-Brownsferry Road and Hughes Road on Wednesday, December 12th, between 5:30 and 7:00 pm, in the Council Chambers of City Hall. The public is invited to review the proposed improvements and discuss the projects to provide input for design. The proposed improvements for Huntsville-Brownsferry Road can be viewed HERE:

https://www.madisonal.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=996
For me today, the link was bad. Found something that may have been the same there here:

https://www.madisonal.gov/DocumentCe...eb24x36?bidId=

Personally I have reservations of the idea for one simple reason; the intersection is heavily traveled by kids driving to JCHS. As others have pointed out, many don't know how to use or simply struggle with roundabouts. Throw in a bunch of 16-19 year old drivers;

Old 12-13-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
For me today, the link was bad. Found something that may have been the same there here:

https://www.madisonal.gov/DocumentCe...eb24x36?bidId=

Personally I have reservations of the idea for one simple reason; the intersection is heavily traveled by kids driving to JCHS. As others have pointed out, many don't know how to use or simply struggle with roundabouts. Throw in a bunch of 16-19 year old drivers;
But they, and all other drivers, need to learn. Kinda like many drivers need to learn how to use a merging lane and signals.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,577,671 times
Quote:
But they, and all other drivers, need to learn. Kinda like many drivers need to learn how to use a merging lane and signals.
Exactly. Or like plenty of adults need to learn to not use the middle turn lane as an on ramp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area