U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 1,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
People have a very wrong view of what schools are all about. In my opinion, “good schools” are not much more than thinly veiled racism code.

Refreshing to see people admit this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 04:13 PM

352 posts, read 247,711 times
Quote:
People have a very wrong view of what schools are all about. In my opinion, “good schools” are not much more than thinly veiled racism code.

Let's see, Madison City schools are 62% white, Vestavia is 81%, and Mountain Brook looks to be 96% (wow).

Quote:
So let me say this another way - Mountain Brook and Vestavia Hills are the most “desired” school systems in the state of Alabama.

I guess by your metric, you have proven your point.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:25 PM

2,550 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Let's see, Madison City schools are 62% white, Vestavia is 81%, and Mountain Brook looks to be 96% (wow).

I guess by your metric, you have proven your point.
That's a bit surprising since Madison is about 74% white. Maybe the Caucasians just don't have many kids. Not many would send their kids to private schools when they can go to a really good school system for free (or included in their taxes).

Sounds like Mountain Brook and Vestavia are essentially private schools that are free.

"Good schools" don't necessarily indicate veiled racism; "good schools" are based on test scores, number of students that graduate, attend college, and other such metrics. There is, of course, a correlation between demographics and school quality, but I believe it is primarily because of economics, not race.

Old Today, 09:00 AM

781 posts, read 453,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Not many would send their kids to private schools when they can go to a really good school system for free (or included in their taxes).
LOL you are totally out of touch with the parents of today. You think Madison Academy exists for no reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
"Good schools" don't necessarily indicate veiled racism; "good schools" are based on test scores, number of students that graduate, attend college, and other such metrics. There is, of course, a correlation between demographics and school quality, but I believe it is primarily because of economics, not race.
Yes it does. A school is a product of the students that go into it. If a school has baseline community support, it will do fine and any intelligent student can go in there and succeed to any limit they want.

I get not wanting your kids to go to a truly bad school. But once you get to a baseline level, saying you want 'good schools' is essentially just saying you want to live in a white neighborhood where crime is low. And hey, I'm not hating on anyone who wants this environment for their kids, nothing wrong with doing what you want to do. I just wish people would admit it instead of trying to hide behind the code of 'test scores'.

Haha it's so hilarious to me to see the property values being based on the public school system, but that's reality.

Old Today, 11:19 AM

17,089 posts, read 52,144,925 times
Propublica is one of the few media sources still engaged in investigative journalism that is not tainted by the biases of advertisers and owners. A while back it ran this long article on how Tuscaloosa effectively re-segregated schools and some of the reasons that occurred. The article starts to get into the meat of the matter about halfway through:

https://www.propublica.org/article/s...-now-full-text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or