U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:27 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,122,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Yay, another sub-par chain restaurant. I've never understood the allure of TCF. I will say that Chattanooga's restaurant scene in general absolutely kills the dining options here in HSV.
I don't get it either. I have been to two different Cheesecake Factories over the years and both were meh.....just another chain restaurant. Most of them are located in areas like Chattanooga with a lot of tourism or in bigger cities in a very busy shopping center that attracts out of town visitors (think the summit in Birmingham.) We don't have the tourism or out of town shoppers here and I don't believe locals would eat there enough to support one. I would bet that if they put one here this year, all the people that have been whining wanting one would eat there once or twice a year at most and the rest of us might would go once in 3 or 4 years when someone else picked the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 09:34 AM

1,121 posts, read 1,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't get it either. I have been to two different Cheesecake Factories over the years and both were meh.....just another chain restaurant. Most of them are located in areas like Chattanooga with a lot of tourism or in bigger cities in a very busy shopping center that attracts out of town visitors (think the summit in Birmingham.) We don't have the tourism or out of town shoppers here and I don't believe locals would eat there enough to support one. I would bet that if they put one here this year, all the people that have been whining wanting one would eat there once or twice a year at most and the rest of us might would go once in 3 or 4 years when someone else picked the place.
Exactly, Huntsville doesn't need something just because another city has it or someone went to Cheesecake on summer vacation and loved it, now I want one.
There are better local restaurants that serve amazing food that most locals probably never been to or heard of. And I bet Chattanooga has seen a large number of must have restaurants come and go over the years.
Remember PF Changs hoopla?At one time it was why don't we have one topic.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 AM

782 posts, read 457,468 times
Cheesecake Factory sucks. Way overrated.

That said, if there's any place that can support a chain restaurant it would be Huntsville. Folks love to go out to eat bland food in that town. I still can't believe that Phil Sandoval's place is so popular.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:24 AM

1,121 posts, read 1,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post

That said, if there's any place that can support a chain restaurant it would be Huntsville. Folks love to go out to eat bland food in that town. I still can't believe that Phil Sandoval's place is so popular.
WHOA! hold up, Phil's is great Americanized tex mex. Nothing wrong with it the food is fresh, service is outstanding, and it tastes good. The fresh salsa with the light and delicate chips are addictive. Authentic Mexican it isn't but its a local product (spin off from Rosies) that does what they do very well. I hope all restaurants chain or otherwise do great here but they all won't. They will fail when service and quality suffer.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM

128 posts, read 73,366 times
I only go to Cheesecake Factory for the cheesecake, which is amazing...the actual food is average chain restaurant food. Whenever I see a Cheesecake Factory, there's is always a wait and it's always busy. The only restaurant that's managed to do that in Huntsville is Connor's Steak & Seafood in Bridgestreet, and that place is tiny. I find it hared to believe that a restaurant the size of Cheesecake Factory could so that in Huntsville.

Anyways, as some one already mentioned...Chattanooga & Knoxville alone are small in comparison to Huntsville, but there metro populations are bigger than ours. Especially Knoxville's. I doubt it would help much, but I don't understand why Morgan county isn't part of the Huntsville Metro.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:07 PM

7 posts, read 2,001 times
The issue isn't just population. It's available disposable income.

Huntsville has grown, but Huntsville is also loaded with too many damned food options per mouth and Cheesecake Factory would have to compete with that and the lack of tourist revenue.

Now, what Huntsville really needs is a legitimate space tourist center. The S&RC's best days were in the 80s.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,138,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Exactly, Huntsville doesn't need something just because another city has it or someone went to Cheesecake on summer vacation and loved it, now I want one.
There are better local restaurants that serve amazing food that most locals probably never been to or heard of. And I bet Chattanooga has seen a large number of must have restaurants come and go over the years.
Remember PF Changs hoopla?At one time it was why don't we have one topic.
I agree also. Went to a Cheesecake Factory in Kansas City several years ago and didn't think it was special. You can get their cheesecake, if that's what you want, at the Barnes & Noble coffee bar. That said, If they want to locate here, more power to them.

I'm not all that impressed with PF Chang's either, and it's relatively expensive. I don't like their fried rice at all. It may be a different style Chinese/American food than I'm used to though. It stays pretty busy so I'm probably in the minority.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post

I like Phil's on occasion. To me, it's virtually identical to Rosie's except the chips are a bit lighter. It's also open on Sundays and Rosie's is not. Both places are packed all the time so I suppose a lot of people like them.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsv256 View Post
The issue isn't just population. It's available disposable income.

Huntsville has grown, but Huntsville is also loaded with too many damned food options per mouth and Cheesecake Factory would have to compete with that and the lack of tourist revenue.

Now, what Huntsville really needs is a legitimate space tourist center. The S&RC's best days were in the 80s.
There's plenty of disposable income here. People may be tight with it, but it's there. There's not a lot of rich folks with "old" money, but there's not much poverty either, or at least that I see.

I really like the Space & Rocket Center. I'm not sure what is worse about it now than years ago, other than if you're a local you don't want to go all that often. We tend to get a little jaded with pretty spectacular things when we work with it and are exposed to it on a daily basis. It's as good as the ones in Houston and Kennedy (other than real launch pads, but tourists can't go to those anyway). It's still plenty popular though.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
demographics of these communities is FAR different, especially visitor / eating out stats.

I would expect a TCF could survive in Huntsville (As one does in Palm Desert, 48k pop.)

I have never been (looked at the menu ONCE... took a pass... steep prices and limited offerings). And a huge waiting LINE.

Krispy Kreme, never tried it...
Krispy Kreme is fantastic. Best doughnuts ever, including Dunkin'. Go get a dozen while they're still warm and the box will be empty before you get to your house. They're light (yeast, I suppose) as opposed to the cake style that Dunkin' and most other places have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or