U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:53 PM

476 posts, read 763,698 times

Advertisements

Not sure the bypass construction would have had much affect on that Starbucks. The bypass will be 5-6 miles north of that location. But they are planning to build an overpass at Mastin Lake and 231/431 in the next few years or so. I checked Emaps and it shows that property is not owned by anyone, in fact it looks like it is now part of an easement. I'm guessing the city bought out that Starbucks location for the overpass construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 02:31 PM

31,918 posts, read 17,585,203 times
Holy cow that is going to open up a lot more traffic, especially in that area of intersection 53 and the overpass of MLK HWY. It still sucks pretty bad right now, but if people are gonna start taking that more, it's only going to get that much worse.....

Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 PM

2,626 posts, read 1,173,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveXinfinity View Post
Now that I think about it this must be the reason they closed the Starbucks at the Mastin Lake Rd/Memorial Parkway intersection. I had read somewhere on Yelp recently by a poster that it was closed because of the bypass construction that is going to be done in that area and it was moved to the new shopping center over on Winchester. Iím all for upgrading the roads because I work on Memorial Parkway by Freedom Powersports and my commute is a bit more than I expected due to the traffic, slow drivers and car accidents. Thereís always traffic congestion near Parkway mall and the Governers Rd exit. At the Governor Rd exit there always a car accident and right after the exit people struggle with the 2 lanes break out to 5 or 6.
That's because it's one of the world's worst interchange designs, going both north and south. I assume the state didn't want to spend the money to do it properly. There way too many merges required in that area, which leads to aggressive driving and accidents. It was opened in the early '90s when traffic counts were well under current levels, and was designed years before that. It'll be redone eventually. Traffic counts were around 130K in 2017 on the Parkway just south of 565. https://aldotgis.dot.state.al.us/atd/default.aspx

Old 01-14-2019, 03:04 PM

43 posts, read 27,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
That's because it's one of the world's worst interchange designs, going both north and south. I assume the state didn't want to spend the money to do it properly. There way too many merges required in that area, which leads to aggressive driving and accidents. It was opened in the early '90s when traffic counts were well under current levels, and was designed years before that. It'll be redone eventually. Traffic counts were around 130K in 2017 on the Parkway just south of 565. https://aldotgis.dot.state.al.us/atd/default.aspx
Oh my goodness and I thought it was only me who thought the road design was awful. I literally cringe when Iím about to pass the Governers drive exit in my way home because I know thereís going to be 45-60 seconds of mass chaos. When it goes from 2 lanes to multiple lanes people seem to have trouble recovering. Iíve literally seen people come to a complete stop in the 2 middle lanes because theyíre struggling to get over to get off on 565.

Another road that is a source of tension for me is Pulaski Pike. The part of the road from the Toyota Plant into Toney is another road I donít like. You either have people moving at snails pace or driving like they are in the Indy 500. Also, the side of the road on Pulaski Pike has so many dips & ripples - itís lije riding a roller coaster. I could be wrong but Iím assuming the road is like that for runoff when it rains. The other day I noticed on the side of the road they had a bunch of long black cylinders piled up pretty high that look like they could be for some type of drainage road work??? They really need to fix that road because I hate it.

Old Today, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveXinfinity View Post
Another road that is a source of tension for me is Pulaski Pike. The part of the road from the Toyota Plant into Toney is another road I don’t like. You either have people moving at snails pace or driving like they are in the Indy 500. Also, the side of the road on Pulaski Pike has so many dips & ripples - it’s lije riding a roller coaster. I could be wrong but I’m assuming the road is like that for runoff when it rains. The other day I noticed on the side of the road they had a bunch of long black cylinders piled up pretty high that look like they could be for some type of drainage road work??? They really need to fix that road because I hate it.
East side of Pulaski Pike will be widened in the 2 lane section, as the power poles have already been moved, some of the pine forest chopped down, etc.

Regarding the snails pace, the speed limit is 45 headed north until you hit the Aerojet Rocketdyne plant, where it turns to 50. Changes back to 45 when you cross the bridge north of Beaverdam/Monroe.

I am tailgated each and every day to and from work in this area. If I'm going 50 in a 45 and you tailgate me, guaranteed that I'll be slowing down to 45...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area