Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,066 times

Advertisements

We have been looking to move to the HSV area for well over a year and hope to visit this Spring. Wife and I are over 60, but very employable. Some thoughts and questions about local employment for my fam and me. Appreciate feedback.

Daughter: Will be earning a BA in Kinesiology, and I've been encouraging her to look at larger corporations as a wellness officer. She can go a variety of directions via the personal trainer/gym route, too. Are the wellness programs available/popular?

Son: Has a BS in 3D computer animation and game design. We've seen that a lot of jobs for 3D positions are closely related to mechanical engineering and require a secret clearance. Do companies ever delegate out the 3D to technicians (thinking position for my son), or is that not just practical? He's also working (locally before we move) to earn a certificate in Info Tech, hoping that will open some doors, maybe at Redstone? BTW: Is USA Jobs the only way to get jobs there, or are there 3rd party recruiters?

Wife: BA in English and lots of experience front office medical. She is 64 and currently works (too hard IMO) in a busy fam practice office. I guess my question for her (and later for me) has to do with our ages. We'd like to work a few more years. Are there many seniors out there competing on a PT basis?

Me: I am retired from public service (community development analyst, gov't consultant, etc.) and have good experience in home improvement, having acted as a general contractor on some larger expansions/improvements on my home. I have also been making furniture from resawn wood. Also have an MA in English, and am looking to apply to the teaching pools at either Calhoun or Athens State Univ. OR....(total pipe dream here): Continue my woodworking in a shop at Lowe Mill. I'm guessing any pvt biz has the least amount of issues with biz owners ages (you succeed or not!!).

Ok...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 08:02 PM

642 posts, read 563,656 times
For your son, I would recommend that he studies for and obtain a Security+ certification (CompTIA). Follow that with an operating system certification; especially on a Linux or UNIX operating system like Red Hat or Solaris. With those certification, his degree, and experience; he could easily get a job anywhere in town as a system administrator. From there, he can look for jobs more in his field of study of 3D design/animation.

Provided he hasn't any felonies, hasn't had money problems (bankruptcy), or is a threat to the government then he should be able to get a security clearance. This will be done by the company that hires him and will sponsor his clearance.

On the other hand there is NASA which for the most part does not require a clearance. The NASA boys love their animation; he may be able to get a job with them. NASA is a congressional punching bag; so go in with eyes wide open.

I would suggest sites like indeed.com. Along the lines of jobs requiring clearances, there is https://www.clearancejobs.com. I hadn't used either but I know of others who have used it.

Sorry, I don't have any experience to help/suggest for your daughter, wife, or yourself. Opinions for your daughter; SportsMED and The Orthopedic Center (TOC) are big in the area. I know the city of Madison schools have either TOC or Huntsville Hospital PTs in the schools working with athletes. For your wife, we have Huntsville Hospital which is a large company/system with hospitals/sites in many towns. Huntsville has a fairly good medical community. Her experience would certainly be valued.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
For your son, I would recommend that he studies for and obtain a Security+ certification (CompTIA). Follow that with an operating system certification; especially on a Linux or UNIX operating system like Red Hat or Solaris. With those certification, his degree, and experience; he could easily get a job anywhere in town as a system administrator. From there, he can look for jobs more in his field of study of 3D design/animation.

Provided he hasn't any felonies, hasn't had money problems (bankruptcy), or is a threat to the government then he should be able to get a security clearance. This will be done by the company that hires him and will sponsor his clearance.

On the other hand there is NASA which for the most part does not require a clearance. The NASA boys love their animation; he may be able to get a job with them. NASA is a congressional punching bag; so go in with eyes wide open.

I would suggest sites like indeed.com. Along the lines of jobs requiring clearances, there is https://www.clearancejobs.com. I hadn't used either but I know of others who have used it.

Sorry, I don't have any experience to help/suggest for your daughter, wife, or yourself. Opinions for your daughter; SportsMED and The Orthopedic Center (TOC) are big in the area. I know the city of Madison schools have either TOC or Huntsville Hospital PTs in the schools working with athletes. For your wife, we have Huntsville Hospital which is a large company/system with hospitals/sites in many towns. Huntsville has a fairly good medical community. Her experience would certainly be valued.
Rick...many thanks! Good info, and I will pass on the info to my son re: clearances, certs, etc.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:18 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,743,491 times
Rick is spot on with his advice for your son. For the rest of it, my best advice is that a lot of hiring in this town is done through word of mouth. For example, something like joining a church and making some friends there who could pass around your resume might help get a better job faster.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:08 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,854,279 times
A word on NASA clearance.

The common term “Security Clearance” refer specifically “DoD” level of clearance. While NASA does not grant DoD clearances, it does its own background check for candidate employees and “clears” them. It’s equivalent to “DoD Secret” level. Therefore same level of standards apply if you hope to pass NASA’s background check.

Many NASA employees also possess DoD clearance, and some with DOE clearance, as their jobs requires them to have access. It’s just not being talked about much.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:09 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,854,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Rick is spot on with his advice for your son. For the rest of it, my best advice is that a lot of hiring in this town is done through word of mouth. For example, something like joining a church and making some friends there who could pass around your resume might help get a better job faster.
It’s not what you know.... it’s who you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area