Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Can lawns be kept green all year? In Colorado lawns go dormant brown from like Oct to April. In DC, I saw green lawns and flowers in February. In LA they are always green but you don't have to mow from Oct-April or so.

What about blooming flowers or annuals or perennials? Are people in Huntsville successful with these? I would expect the insects to lay off during the winter - less insectide needed for plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 02:34 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,925,857 times
Most of the grass in the Hsv area will go dormant through the winter months. Some people do have grass that will stay green throughout the year but you will have to water like crazy in the summer to keep it from burning up. Bermuda is great in the summer and takes a lot less water to look great.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:28 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,094 times
Alabama is great for winter gardening -- no bugs. Many plants here will last all or most of the summer, unfortunately most of those plants can't begin to tolerate the heat. Same thing with grasses. For ornamentals there is little need to mess with chemicals if you plant hardy and resistant varieties, which are typically the old favorites around town.

My "lawn" stays more-or-less green all year, although not as bright as it is in summer. But my lawn is really pasture and mixed weeds. There is some grass in there, though. The Bermuda is just starting to wake up.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Most lawns are fescue or Bermuda grass. Fescue grasses stay green all year, but as Mike noted, they suffer in the Summer heat. Bermuda goes dormant in Winter, but is widely used here because it is drought / heat tolerant.

HSV is great for gardening.

April 15 is frost-free date and the growing season lasts until about Halloween.

Even though HSV is one of the wetter areas in the US (even with the drought), we basically have a rainy season (Winter / Spring) and a dry season (Summer / Fall). This means that having drought tolerant and heat resistant plants is required in order to survive August and September.

The Botanical Garden frequently offers classes; in April they provide free classes daily at lunch (topics include: crapemyrtles, native plants, butterfly gardens, water features, etc) - Friday's (5/11) topic is "Foliage / Grasses in the Landscape".

Huntsville Botanical Garden

Old 04-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Fescue grasses stay green all year,
Glad to read this.

I remember flying into HSV last winter and noticed the brown golf course lawn. I guess either it was Bermuda or just not watered. People were playing golf.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:23 PM

It's Bermuda, smoother playing surface plus grows quickly plus drought tolerant.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:14 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
You can overseed bermuda with fescue (use red fescue inside the shade line) and then let them battle it out every spring. You'll still need to overseed each fall with fescue, but the seed requirements will be greatly reduced compared to the first overseeding. Or you can just overseed each fall with annual rye (we call it winter rye around here) and let the heat kill it off in late spring. To me, it's worth it--there's something about having a green lawn year-round that cheers my soul. And the dead rye or any fescue you lose is good for your soil as well.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
You can overseed bermuda with fescue (use red fescue inside the shade line) and then let them battle it out every spring. You'll still need to overseed each fall with fescue, but the seed requirements will be greatly reduced compared to the first overseeding. Or you can just overseed each fall with annual rye (we call it winter rye around here) and let the heat kill it off in late spring. To me, it's worth it--there's something about having a green lawn year-round that cheers my soul. And the dead rye or any fescue you lose is good for your soil as well.

This is a post worth noting. Good info. Thank You.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Revisiting this....I read up and looks like perennial rye is recommended. In October we need to mow the bermuda down really low and perhaps aerate. Wait a month after aerating and then overseed with the perennial rye. There are a few recommended fertilizer applications too.

Overseeding with Ryegrass

Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 PM

Charles - if you want a year-round green grass, Ken Creel (Alabama Extension) recommends St. Augustine grass, shade and drought tolerant, there are some new varieties that are more cold tolerant than in the past. Creel discourages fescue for this area because of the Summer heat and normal Summer drought.

Note that mowing the Bermudagrass 'really low' is not recommended - you should actually let it grow higher as Winter approaches (according to Steve Dobbs, author of "The Perfect Alabama Lawn"). Same for any grass under stress (drought, shade, &c).

If you overseed Bermudagrass with ryegrass, do not fertilize it because it may harm the Bermudagrass (interfers with the dormacy, leads to brown spots in the Spring). I understand that the advice from Dobbs conflicts with the advice from Clemson regarding fertilizing (it probably is good for the ryegrass). I'll note that the Dobbs book has an endorsement and foreword written by Felder Rushing (the most famous horticulturist in the South).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area