U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,699 times
Well I hear you get MUCH more from SF than you do from Allstate, so maybe Allstate advertises lower prices for a reason =) you get less coverage and less quality in customer service. SF does A LOT for their customers and charge accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:13 AM

63 posts, read 90,815 times
I too went with State Farm after moving to AL in 2007. After one year, I decided to get competing quotes. When we moved here in 2007, State Farm came highly recommended so we went with them. They were higher, but at the time, we did not want to deal with quotes and such. State Farm told us after one year, our rates would come down because we would not be considered new customers. The price actually went up even though nothing with us changed.

We have Auto, Home and Umbrella so we have to get it all from one company versus separate policies from multiple companies. We also have a sink hole rider since we live in the Hampton Cove area.

Alfa came in about $350/6 month policy less for identical coverage. Neither company would write a 1 year policy. The reason is this gives the insurance companies an opportunity to adjust rates more frequently should you have changes in claims or driving records.

From what I've heard, the reason State Farm is charging higher rates in Florida, Alabama and Mississippi due to the hurricane damage from a few years ago. They took a huge hit and increased all policies across the board to recoup their losses.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:42 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,793,765 times
Everyone I know that is with State Farm raves about them...I have never used them so I don't know. I have always heard their insurance is very good, even though you pay more for it. Remember, the cheapest is not always the best.
In fact, I have a friend who works for legal for another big insurance carrier, and they have chosen to stay with State Farm, even though they would get employee discounts through who she works for.

I have used Allstate, Nationwide, ALFA, and USAA. I do like USAA the best, however not everyone can become members.

I did have a very BAD experience with Allstate. It had nothing to do with the coverage, EVERYTHING to do with the local agent (here in HSV). It was a mess that ended up at the state adjuster's desk. It has been two years and we are STILL trying to get it finalized. I will tell you, if Allstate would have let me transfer to a different agent, I would have stayed with the company. They did drop us in Florida after the hurricanes...we were dropped in the first round of the "lottery", where random policies were dropped within the state, whether they had prior claims or not (we did not). Allstate was the largest insurer in the state of Florida and took the biggest loss due to the hurricanes. Allstate in Florida right now is OUTRAGEOUS, but then again, all insurance carriers are, not just State Farm and Allstate.

I would stay away from Travelers...sure, their rates are good, but their claims department is horrible.

I hit a deer back in the late 90's and had ALFA at the time..no tickets, prior wrecks, nothing. They dropped me. I wasn't too happy with an insurance company that drops you after one stinking claim. My parents had a lot of problems with ALFA as well.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:46 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,713,588 times
USAA ftw! They've been great.

You can join in you are military or a veteran, OR if you are related to a member. I got in via my Dad being a member.

Their service/coverage/cost combo is fantastic.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 PM

411 posts, read 995,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
USAA ftw! They've been great.

You can join in you are military or a veteran, OR if you are related to a member. I got in via my Dad being a member.

Their service/coverage/cost combo is fantastic.
Yeah, but my experience is, if you have an accident, they treat it like it was no-fault and your rates go up. EVEN if it was not your fault.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 PM

957 posts, read 1,518,279 times
USAA is great at NOT telling you your deductible is a % of the cost. Be sure it is a FIXED deductible, or you'll take it in the pants when you do have a large claim (hail, wind, etc.) Our neighbors really got screwed with the last hail storm. Past clients that have called didn't realize their deductible was not set, so be sure to ask!

My parents have had State Farm for years. They have had several claims due to hail, hail and more hail. I've handled all of the calls to SF and they have been amazing, I must say. A bit higher, but well worth it I felt. I was shocked they didn't raise their rates after the last claim. We have Allstate and they have been great so far. With the last major hail storm they were wonderful...didn't give us any grief at all.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,793,765 times
USAA doesn't offer a fixed deductible for wind/hail in this area. I don't know how they could not have known, it is on the front page of the policy docs.

When we switched back to USAA, the agent actually pointed out that the hail/wind was 1% of insured value in our area, since we were coming from a carrier with a fixed deductible. She pointed that out when we were discussing coverages, and again when we had finalized our coverage options. It was also on our written policy quote they sent us before we purchased. USAA made it pretty clear, and did not try to "hide" anything or deceive us.

My insurance dropped over $300 a year when we switched from Nationwide to USAA, my auto dropped about $200 every 6 months. I also have my credit cards through them, as well as some investments that were yielding much better than any other options we researched.

I would NOT recommend their mortgage department, however. We had a nightmare with a client last year that involved USAA...we ended up having to pull their legal into it, and the processor was never available, never returned calls, and was extremely rude. The issue stemmed from a BIG mistake the processor made, and it ended up creating a domino effect and postponed several closings.

Different insurance carriers offer different coverages in their policies...you always need to check and compare apples to oranges the coverages that you are getting. I love USAA, and we have been completely satisfied with them...we were with them before we lived in Florida, but they were REALLY high in Florida, even before the hurricanes, so we switched to Allstate there. All carriers in Florida have a 1% hurricane damage deductible, that pretty much was a result of Hurricane Andrew. I have heard rumblings that many of the insurance carriers in this area may turn to a 1% hail/wind deductible, seeing the nature of our storm activity and the influx of hail damage claims last year.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:52 AM

957 posts, read 1,518,279 times
My clients weren't stupid...Major in the Army. He was NOT aware that the deductable was not a fixed one. He assumed, which many do. (which is exactly why I posted about it). Granted, they had not received the policy docs in hand before closing. Thankfully, I had them call and ask....he was shocked.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 PM

29 posts, read 39,861 times
Sold a new construction home purchased in 06 in Madison Cty last September which was insured from day one with Allstate. I can't recall any rate increases, never had a claim though. Agent was accessible, worked for me.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 PM

652 posts, read 902,502 times
USAA's mortgage issues revolve around them farming out mortgage services to PHH.

We have a USAA/PHH mortgage in Texas, we don't here in AL. Our TX mortgage was funded just before the transition(6 months- 1yr, it gets fuzzy that long ago ). We loved USAA mortgage, we hate PHH.

As for the fixed deductible, they are possible, you just have to keep calling. We were able to get one after 4 phone calls. The first 3 people told us they were not possible, the 4th was able to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area