U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM

652 posts, read 921,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Yeah, but my experience is, if you have an accident, they treat it like it was no-fault and your rates go up. EVEN if it was not your fault.
You can fight this. Explain the situation and ask them to re-evaluate, they always have for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 05:52 PM

957 posts, read 1,550,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
USAA's mortgage issues revolve around them farming out mortgage services to PHH.

We have a USAA/PHH mortgage in Texas, we don't here in AL. Our TX mortgage was funded just before the transition(6 months- 1yr, it gets fuzzy that long ago ). We loved USAA mortgage, we hate PHH.

As for the fixed deductible, they are possible, you just have to keep calling. We were able to get one after 4 phone calls. The first 3 people told us they were not possible, the 4th was able to do it.
Tammie2: I'm SO glad you said that. I "thought" my people ended up getting a fixed deductible but was afraid I was not remembering correctly. Seems to me that it was a nominal charge for the fixed deductible as well?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:54 AM

652 posts, read 921,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
Tammie2: I'm SO glad you said that. I "thought" my people ended up getting a fixed deductible but was afraid I was not remembering correctly. Seems to me that it was a nominal charge for the fixed deductible as well?
If memory serves Chris said it was around $100/year. I know he didn't complain about it and wasn't whipping out the calculator to determine a break even point so it couldn't have been too much I do know it was a PITA calling every few days for 2 weeks to get it done

Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 AM

2,040 posts, read 1,922,795 times
Oh Happy Day! After talking to 4 DIFFERENT people, including a supervisor, I got my deductible fixed to $500....but, you are right, they DON'T make it easy...the first few I talked to kept saying "we don't offer that in your area" I basically told them from the get go that 1. I know you can do it, and 2. My policy is coming up for renewal so we may rethink our insurance choices.
It raised my premium a measly $41 a year...whoopy do! Thanks for the info, I am a bit disappointed in USAA now that I know they make this option SO difficult.
I see a new 30 year roof in my future.....

Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 AM

2,040 posts, read 1,922,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
You can fight this. Explain the situation and ask them to re-evaluate, they always have for me.
That is the issue I had with Allstate...the insurance agent was NO HELP, and he told me it would be subrogated through the city of Birmingham and we would get our deductible back (we hit a LARGE hole full of water in a median that the city was working on that SHOULD have been marked with cones...my SUV nearly laid on its side it was so large, and the streets were flooded so we could not see it.) Allstate filed it as an at fault claim and our premiums skyrocketed. My Allstate agent later told me that I should be "thanking him" for paying my claim...WHAT?????? I thought that is what I paid my PREMIUMS for! I trusted my insurance agent and did what he recommended and it completely blew up in my face.
We had tons of pics of the hole and I even contacted an attorney....they could not believe that was not marked, as it was a major hazard, especially since it was full of water and you could not tell it was there... If we had been in a smaller car (like my Bimmer), we would have completely flipped over. My large SUV just kinda tilted over, water was up to my passenger side window. It was terrifying.
The state adjuster changed our status and ended up initiating the subrogation process with the city of Bham, and we did get our dedutible back, but it was a year and a half of fighting later, and threatening legal action.
The city paid....and that hole has been completely repaired.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 PM

482 posts, read 1,611,486 times
We have just moved to Guntersville from Central Fl., we sold our home there in 2008 and owned this one too and the ins. was almost the same even though we have no hurricane threat here so I have always felt I was being over charged since the value of both homes was the same. After reading this it sounds like USAA is competitive, we have had all ins. with them for 16 years, husband was in the Navy.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM

5,814 posts, read 7,939,918 times
Let's go to the source. We have been with USAA 30+ years and a roof replacement because of hail damage last year which was paid in full by USAA (residual).

I just called - Auto has the deductible spelled out on the policy. Homeowners has fixed deductibles for everything but wind/hail. But wind/hail are 1% of insured replacement cost of the house. To me that is a fixed number I can come up with:>)

Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 PM

30,548 posts, read 18,844,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy123 View Post
We just bought a house on the Limestone County side of Madison City. I got a quote from State Farm for $1350 AFTER our car discounts and a quote for the exact same thing from Allstate WITHOUT a car discount for $550. Why is there such a big difference? It just seems odd that there's such a huge difference in the price.
1) I doubt the coverage is exactly the same.
2) It's possible that one of them has mis-rated your home

Have your agent go over the difference and they should be able to spot whats up.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:47 PM

30,548 posts, read 18,844,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
We have just moved to Guntersville from Central Fl., we sold our home there in 2008 and owned this one too and the ins. was almost the same even though we have no hurricane threat here so I have always felt I was being over charged since the value of both homes was the same. After reading this it sounds like USAA is competitive, we have had all ins. with them for 16 years, husband was in the Navy.
The hurricane risk in central Florida really isn't that bad, the southern and coastal areas are where the risk is at.

Additionally, state laws can vary as well as building codes etc.

Lastly, some states have juries that tend to give out very large awards which pushes up the liability cost component.

Lots of reasons why even identical homes can have quite different premiums.

IF that shocks you, try to insure a car in a small town in Iowa and in New Jersey and watch the premiums triple or more.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM

482 posts, read 1,611,486 times
You are right, central Fl. isn't much for damage in hurricanes, by the way, do you have earthquake coverage here? USAA wanted to charge me like $200 for it when I bought this house and I said no, do you think we need it, with the recent earthquakes I am wondering if I should rethink that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area