U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 PM

26 posts, read 115,663 times
Default Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant Address

Today, 04:14 PM
Mariafromny
6 posts, read 676 times

Browns ferry Nuclear Plant Address
Good Afternoon,
Does anyone know the exact location of the Browns Ferry Nuclear plant as my husband & I are trying to do a home search within a 30-45 minute commute time & it is very hard to do without the plant's address.
Also, I have seen different things as to which town the plant is located-Athens or Decatur----and is it on the east side of the river?
Thanks for your help,
Maria

[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 02:23 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,610,685 times
The mailing address is:

MPC 1B-BFN
TVA BROWNS FERRY NP MAIL CTR
PO BOX 2000
DECATUR AL 35609-2000

FED EX/UPS/ETC.:
TVA BROWNS FERRY NP MAIL CTR
SHAW RD & NUCLEAR PLT RD
ATHENS AL 35611

It is located on the north side of Wheeler Lake, east of the river, and almost halfway between Athens and Decatur. It looks like it has better road access from Athens than Decatur, but I have never driven to it.

Map of Shaw Rd & Nuclear Plant Rd Athens, AL by MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Shaw+Rd+%26+Nuclear+Plant+Rd+Athens+AL+35611/ - broken link)

Last edited by johnrex62; 04-14-2008 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 PM

Thank you so much.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 40,554 times
Default I do not know

the address but, my husband works there. They have a Po Box in Decatur as mailing address. Depending on how close you want to be. My husband and I live in Athens and it takes him 30 minutes to get to work. It takes us about 15 minutes to get to Decatur. Hope this helps and welcome to the area.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 PM

Suzy1270,
Thank you so much for the info. I thought Athens would be much closer to the plant. Do you think the commute would be too far from huntsville/madison area?
Are you newcomer to the area, and if so what made you choose Athens? Not knowing which way to turn here! LOL

Old 04-18-2008, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 40,554 times
madison would be closer than huntsville it all depends on how close you want to be to the plant. I can get to Madison in less than 15 minutes from my house. You have I 565 that pretty much runs from huntsville to decatur. I am not new to the area. I grew up in Huntsville and moved away and then husbands job at TVA brought us back. We chose Athens since it takes less time to get to the plant. I am not knocking Huntsville at all in fact they purchased some land down the road from me so it gets kind of confusing where you are here. Hope this helps and again Welcome to the area

Old 04-19-2008, 07:38 AM

410 posts, read 1,126,120 times
Maria,

Madison (with the exception of the far west of it) is going to be outside your desired 30 minute commute. Huntsville is farther east. Decatur, as the crow flies, is quite close but there's only one bridge, so most of Decatur is going to be too far if you have to cross the river. That bridge also backs up from time to time.

Brown's Ferry is placed well outside the urban area and there are no major roads heading that way -- so you can be quite close but with a bit of a longer commute than you'd expect, but quiet roads and not much traffic. The surrounding area is in unincorporated Limestone County, most of which will be served by the Athens post office and much of which will be listed as "Athens" in the MLS. Both Athens and Decatur have basic shopping needs, and when you need more or a better selection, Huntsville isn't far.

There will also be stuff listed in the MLS as "Madison" which is outside the Madison city limits and to the west of Madison. This will be convenient to the plant, too, as well as shopping in Athens, Decatur and Madison. Madison also has basic shopping needs but is growing fast.

Complicating things, Decatur has a thin stretch of land up Hwy 31 on the north side of the river, almost touching the similar thin strip Athens has down 31. There is also Tanner, which is a small area but well within the desired commute range. And some MLS listings might say Huntsville. When searching the MLS, I suggest using the Specify a Location option and checking off Athens, Limestone County, Madison County SW and Outside Madison. Some items will be too far, but this will mostly get you in the right area. (For example, anything that says "Harvest" will be WAY too far. Also ignore Elkmont and Ardmore.)

Since you also wanted 1+ acre, fortunately this is exactly the kind of area you are likely to find those big lots/small acreage. That kind of lot in Madison proper or Huntsville is usually going to be pretty expensive.

In the near future there is supposed to be an exit added to Tanner off I65, which will likely spawn more business and shopping in the area. It would also serve the subdivisions going in west of Madison in the future. And there is likely going to be a large mixed use development anchored by Bass Pro Shops going in Decatur on the north side of the River.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 17,912 times
Suzy1270,
You said your husband works at the plant. I'm in the Air Force in the FL Panhandle and looking to retire this July 09, and am interested in moving to that area and seeking employment up there. Please have your husband email me. Moderator cut: email I'd like to see how he likes it there. I've also been looking in Redstone Arsenal. A few years back my family and I evacuated for a Hurricane and headed North. We went to Huntsville and used it as a mini-vacation and fell in love with that area and would like to go back if I could find a good job.
Thanks,
Laz

Last edited by Keeper; 01-14-2009 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: This is an old post, you might try emailing or DM them

Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 AM

13,544 posts, read 22,420,220 times
The OP is almost a year old but I know we have several folks here who are from FL including myself.

You might want to ask your questions in a new thread.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 AM

851 posts, read 1,857,073 times
Default Drive Time Map

Perhaps this will help from Microsoft Streets and Trips...
Attached Thumbnails
Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant Address-bfnpdtm.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area