U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 04:02 PM

15 posts, read 73,845 times

Advertisements

I noticed that Chattanooga recently got a non-stop on Delta to New York (LGA). I expect with the continued growth of the HSV area and airport you'll see a new non-stop next year. There is a good chance United might open up EWR to HSV for international travel.

Minimal, it's very likely there will be bigger planes on United and American with more flight times.

The smaller "commuter" jets that in/out of HSV are constantly late or canceled. American has the absolute worse on time to CLT. Almost every single flight on American today out HSV was cancelled or delayed.

Port of Huntsville | Departures
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 06:16 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,664,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickodemis View Post
I noticed that Chattanooga recently got a non-stop on Delta to New York (LGA). I expect with the continued growth of the HSV area and airport you'll see a new non-stop next year. There is a good chance United might open up EWR to HSV for international travel.

Minimal, it's very likely there will be bigger planes on United and American with more flight times.

The smaller "commuter" jets that in/out of HSV are constantly late or canceled. American has the absolute worse on time to CLT. Almost every single flight on American today out HSV was cancelled or delayed.

Port of Huntsville | Departures
Chattanooga has actually had that flight for quite sometime now. HSV used to have a flight to LGA years ago.
Gate assignments at New York area airports are in high demand and the airlines are very selective in using them.
Remember smaller airports are at the mercy of whatever is happening in the hubs. Any weather delays impact the system nationwide. Example last week due to high winds at JFK there were 40+ plus aircraft waiting to take off. Typical aircraft taxi time was as much as 4 hours.
International travel is easy from HSV through ATL, DFW, CLT. It would be great though if HSV could get a New York flight. It is high priority for the airport but its up to the airlines ultimately.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:49 AM

699 posts, read 927,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Chattanooga has actually had that flight for quite sometime now. HSV used to have a flight to LGA years ago.
Gate assignments at New York area airports are in high demand and the airlines are very selective in using them.
Remember smaller airports are at the mercy of whatever is happening in the hubs. Any weather delays impact the system nationwide. Example last week due to high winds at JFK there were 40+ plus aircraft waiting to take off. Typical aircraft taxi time was as much as 4 hours.
International travel is easy from HSV through ATL, DFW, CLT. It would be great though if HSV could get a New York flight. It is high priority for the airport but its up to the airlines ultimately.
As far as international connectivity, yes, it would be great if there was a flight from HSV to Kennedy Airport (JFK) in New York, because that is the airport with international flights. Flights to LaGuardia (LGA) are primarily for those who are not looking to make a connection, but have the NY City area as their destination.

JFK has fewer slots for domestic flights, so the airlines are very choosey about U.S. cities that they will provide service to from Kennedy. Delta has flights from Nashville and Atlanta to JFK. Jet Blue has their hub at JFK.

If United chose to offer flights from HSV to Newark (EWR), that would be great, too as EWR is their international hub on the east coast besides Washington Dulles.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:11 PM

518 posts, read 1,538,398 times
Frontier is also discontinuing DEN-BHM service on Nov 13. I'm bummed; recently I scored a round trip on that route for $44. What a ridiculous price!!!!!

Old 10-24-2019, 06:19 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,965,192 times
Keep in mind DL has flights to Detroit, which is also a large international hub. We routinely connect through DTW to Europe. AA also flies direct to ORD, which is a very larger International hub. Yes, JFK would be nice, but there are a lot of the same non-stops from ORD to international destinations, which may come into consideration. Every recent international trip I've taken to Asia or Europe I was able to make it a one-stopper out of HSV. It is rarely 2-stops unless I absolutely have to fly out of LAX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area