U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2010, 06:20 PM

422 posts, read 590,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp2290 View Post
The funny thing about HSV is that so many of the people that directly or indirectly receive paychecks from the government are very conservative/libertarian. It's just a bizarre place where conservatism is part of the culture regardless of reality. All of the politicians I've seen are trying to one up each other in terms of "conservative values". As an outsider it just comes off as very goofy and I can't imagine anyone buying into all of the ridiculous strawman arguments (such as the whole license form debacle) that have literally no relevance to 99% of the population 99% of the time. Overarching social/educational problems here are neglected or cast aside in favor of issues that don't have any day to day significance to anyone.

Just my two cents coming from Chicago. I hope I don't come off as smarmy or holier than thou, I'm just giving an outsider perspective.
It was actually a guy from Chicago that is living in Alabama that told me that the only people more corrupt than Chicago politicians are Alabama politicians.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 01:11 PM

25,720 posts, read 8,356,217 times
Does anyone have intimate knowledge of the Merrimack Mill Village area of Huntsville? We're thinking about taking a job in the area and the houses in that area are interesting (aethetically speaking). I don't want to live in a cookie cutter subdivision and i'm not interested in living outside of the city in a rural area or suburb. And since i no longer have children at home, i don't want a large home. A few homes that i've seen on real estate websites in that neighborhood seem to fit the bill, but i don't know the particulars of the area. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 PM

25,720 posts, read 8,356,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp2290 View Post
The funny thing about HSV is that so many of the people that directly or indirectly receive paychecks from the government are very conservative/libertarian. It's just a bizarre place where conservatism is part of the culture regardless of reality. All of the politicians I've seen are trying to one up each other in terms of "conservative values". As an outsider it just comes off as very goofy and I can't imagine anyone buying into all of the ridiculous strawman arguments (such as the whole license form debacle) that have literally no relevance to 99% of the population 99% of the time. Overarching social/educational problems here are neglected or cast aside in favor of issues that don't have any day to day significance to anyone.

Just my two cents coming from Chicago. I hope I don't come off as smarmy or holier than thou, I'm just giving an outsider perspective.
I live in Southern Arizona and we have the same phenomenon. Every dime worth making in this county (Cochise County) is a municipal, state, or federal dollar. This city, Sierra Vista, would be non-existent without federal dollars. When the base closing commission convenes every so many years, the whole county is on pins and needles. Yet the local politicians rant against "big government" so much that i get a headache. The shocking thing is that the locals eat it up like a steak dinner. It's laughable really. And the one upsmanship of the politicians trying to outconservative each other on issues in Arizona is astounding. God forbid that you mention some of the big government around here that can use some cutting LOL!

Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 PM

168 posts, read 382,360 times
desertdetroiter,

I live in the Merrimack Mill Village. Why don't you PM me and I'll be delighted to answer your questions.

clamoore

Old 08-28-2010, 12:15 AM

12 posts, read 12,000 times
I hope to get some info. Will not go into too much detail other than we are Caucasian, mid 50's, no kids at home. My wife is a CNA and I am a struggling small time videographer.
We need to move from our high cost of living and taxed to death state of PA. I need warm weather as I have medical issues. We hope to settle and retire with this move.
Where we go has to have opportunities for CNA work. I can struggle anywhere with my work.

I hope to buy a BOP or foreclosure so we can pay cash and have no payments but we are limited to 40k.
We have seen many houses in this range and we are concerned because even the worst dump in our area (PA) will list for no less than 100k.

I have searched the Realtor lists and have a few areas I would like to check on.
Colonial Hill, Park Lane, Hillendale, West Huntsville, Gurley, Edmonton Heights, Lakewood Manor.
Can anyone give me an idea of these areas. We are not too worried about good ole boys. Diverse neighborhoods are fine. We fit in mostly anywhere.
Looking for as safe an area as we can afford and hope it would be a place we can retire in.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:41 AM

13,566 posts, read 23,058,481 times
Well it does get cold here with lows in the 30s-20a and highs in 40-50s during the winter. If you can stand that for a few months and can tolerate the hot summers then this area might be for you.

40K isn't going to get you a lot. The problem will be whether the area. You might do better living in a smaller city. We do have a few realtors here who might be able to help you. Check out valleymls.com for homes. Feel free to ask about any area/street

CNAs (at least in Arab) jobs are available. Not sure about the pay but I believe it is around $10 an hour

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 12,000 times
Thanks for the info.
I know 40k will not get alot but I have seen listings for hundreds of homes for under 50k. Many are nice but I guess the area could be the reason. We are limited to that figure as we want to pay cash so we do not have any payments. I have not decided to rob a bank yet and that is all we can come up with.

I did check that site you mentioned but when I search for the list of properties I am looking at nothing comes up. Weird.....maybe more to it than I thought. Many are bank owned I guess that could be the reason.

I hear you about the winters. Sounds close to ours now except I think our cold last much longer and we get many times the snow you get. Although I would like no snow or cold I guess a compromise is in order.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,144 times
My husband and I are also thinking about moving to Huntsville. We are currently in South Alabama and don't want to rebuild our house after hurricanes anymore. We want a place where we fit in a little better. NO MORE GLEN BECK! I was hoping with the higher education level that Huntsville would work out for us. We kind of want to stay in AL for the lower taxes and need a military installation nearby so we can take advantage of his benefits. Any advice from retired military folks?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 AM

3,483 posts, read 5,060,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottamoov View Post
I hope to buy a BOP or foreclosure so we can pay cash and have no payments but we are limited to 40k.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
I read your post a while back, then I saw in the local real estate magazine and remembered your post when I saw a property in Athens with 2 acres for $40K. The house looks decent from the photo. It's not a foreclosure.

So they are around, just have to look for it.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,646,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryspouse-retired View Post
We want a place where we fit in a little better. NO MORE GLEN BECK!
Try California...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area