Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:33 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times

Advertisements

33458 - about HSV diversity: I saw a redheaded Suicide Girl incarnate taking a walk up Bankhead Pkwy yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 11:06 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
33458 - about HSV diversity: I saw a redheaded Suicide Girl incarnate taking a walk up Bankhead Pkwy yesterday.
=:D

I think she was at the Dixie Derby meet last Sunday...now there's a place where a girl can feel right at home.
(Actually I felt old and tired.)

Not arguing there isn't diversity, but that there are all kinds around here and not necessarily more of one than another if we were to debate engineers vs. ________.

Again, depends on where the looker chooses to hang his hat.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhawaiiboys View Post
I was just wondering the difference between Huntsville proper and Huntsville? I to am looking to move to that area. I grew up in Mississippi and now I am in California. But my husband can transfer with his job and I want to be closer to my Dad who is getting older. My husband and I have been looking at new homes but don't know which area is good or bad. We don't mind buying and older home I just want a good neighborhood to raise kids. PLEASE HELP!! Its a bit overwhelming.

Thanks!
I've lived in Huntsville my entire life and wouldn't want to be anywhere else!! The best areas, in my opinion, are Hampton Cove and Providence. However, you'll pay a pretty penny to live in one of these areas. You'll also find some really nice reasonably priced homes in the County off of Winchester Rd. (Berryhill, RiverWalk, etc.) You'll also notice upon moving to this area that people who live here tend to call all of the outlying towns "Huntsville", such as New Market, Harvest, Hazel Green, Monrovia, Gurley, Madison. These are basically all considered Huntsville just so you know!!
You can't beat the people here, very diverse and oh-so friendly. Huntsville is growing everyday and really offers a lot, especially for families. I get so tired of the stereotypes and assumptions made about Alabama. If people really did their research, they'd see that 1 in 11 households here hold an engineering degree. If everyone could get past their stereotypes and come see Huntsville for themselves, I think they'd be very pleased and impressed to say the least. If Huntsville is so terrible as some say, then why is there a huge L.A. developer building restaurants such as Ketchup here. The only other Ketchup in the U.S. is in L.A. I think these guys may be on to something!!!! Check out Bridge Street Town Centre and I'm pretty positive you'll love what you see. I was recently in LA and enjoyed the trip, but couldn't wait to get back to "green land"!!!!

Last edited by LovingTheSouth; 05-01-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 02:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingTheSouth View Post
The best areas, in my opinion, are Hampton Cove and Providence.
Why? Please provide additional info and elaboration. Many of us would love to read your (and any one else's) thoughts.

What are the characteristic differences you perceive between Madison's subdivisions and Hampton Cove subdivisions? From afar, using the internet as my peephole into HSV, they seem very similiar, except they are sort of on opposite sides of Redstone and downtown. What other characteristics separate them? Geography? Culture? Layout? Planning philosophies? Neighborhood styles? Local ordinances or laws? We'd love to read more subjective, personal descriptions if possible.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 PM

12 posts, read 73,507 times
Default Dont mind Larry the cable Guy

I have a few cousins that make Larry look real classy. ( ha,ha) I would like to live in a safe place #1, young and old families , new homes , things for the kids to do, Friday Night Football , a place fro my Husband and kids to fish, Saturday picnics you know the SOUTH that everyone loves. Just a little more modern w/ a few Larry's.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:16 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,024 times
I lived in Huntsville for 20 years ('87 to '07) and loved it. I loved the hills, the trees (fall color downtown and on Green Mountain and Monte Sano is STUNNING). I loved Old Town. I loved hearing the church bells and the trains (often at the same time). People were, by and large, friendly and well-educated. Alabama homeschooling laws are pretty fair and lenient. Alabama schools themselves are not, AFAIK, the "worst" in the nation--Georgia's are a lot worse. Alabama taxes are relatively very low. Huntsville is not heaven (in particular, sinus and allergy problems tend to abound there b/c of weather patterns and some other geographic weirdness). But while I didn't have to leave Huntsville to appreciate it, I am now desperately craving an opportunity to get our family back there. If anybody thinks Huntsville is a bad place to live, try SW Georgia, also known as the devil's back porch.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
For fishing check out Guntersville Lake. Great for picnics too. It is about 40 minutes from H'ville, depending on where you live. Guntersville Lake host Bass pro fishing several times a year.

I know some folks live in Guntersville and commute to H'ville to work. If you want to live on the water and have the $$$$ you can find a house.

Guntersville is a small town with little crime. Schools are good. Downside is there are no malls or movie theaters.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:28 AM

298 posts, read 1,149,146 times
Huntsville is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. That is where I was born and raised. I still have family there. The cost of living is very reasonable. People are very friendly, and will go out of their way to help you. It has four seasons, all of which are beautiful. Hollywood and TV perpetuate the negative stereotypes about the South. I have moved around a lot, so I have heard everyone's negative opinions. Huntsville is not what people would expect of "The South." It is filled with people from all over the country. Many of the people are well-educated and intelligent. The mountains are beautiful. There are many opportunities if you are interested in art or music. The neighborhoods are absolutely gorgeous. The yards are filled with beautiful, large trees. You can easily go to the river for waterskiing or fishing. Some people have beautiful second homes along the river. If you like the city, Birmingham and Nashville are close. You can easily take a 3-day weekend to Atlanta. If you like the mountains, head to Gatlinburg. If you like the beach, head south to Gulf Shores, Pensacola, Destin, or Panama City. These are some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
We'll be here a year after the summer.

As I've posted before, we love it. We continue to love it. It's pretty, the weather is comfortable, and we've already made as many friends as we had in California, and we (and they) have time to see each other a heck of a lot more frequently.

As for not being one for the "hee haw" lifestyle, well, neither am I, and there are plenty of neighborhoods where you won't see much of a sign of it. BUT.. I think to capable of feeling like you belong in Alabama (even Huntsville), you have to be able to enjoy and appreciate southern culture. I think Reactionary likes to do his part to chase away leftists.. but I think he has a point in that, if you are the kind of person that is going to be offended by someone re-enacting a confederate personality at an event, or who will find it distasteful to leave your subdivision and enjoy the rest of Alabama because of the "hee haws', then you won't feel like you belong or be happy.

I fully admit I enjoy my nice new subdivision with a diverse variety of transplants with an HOA that forbids chain link fences and keeping livestock in your backyard. BUT, I also enjoy visiting beautiful farms, or going to downtown Owens Cross Roads, and I fully enjoy meeting and talking with fellow Alabamians and I don't think of them disparagingly at all. My husband has a coworker whose office is decorated with ceiling-to-floor hunting trophies. If you are the kind of person that would think that co-worker is a stupid "hee-haw", then you won't be happy. If you are the kind of person that can like and appreciate that coworker for who they are, and listen to their hunting stories with interest, even though you personally have no interest whatsoever in going hunting, then you can absolutely be happy here.

The population here is diverse enough where you can find friends, but Huntsville also has a lot of native southerners, and if you can't appreciate and enjoy what the south and southerners are then it will be more difficult for you to be happy here.

You can get a house in the city that still is pretty with some trees, with many if not most of your neighbors being transplants, and not too much traffic, without being in a rural area. So in that regard it might be an upgrade from your Atlanta situation.

Worst of me has been: allergies and flies. But neither is as bad as I thought it would be. (After a few years, the allergies may ramp up, but for now I just take a benadryl before bed when I start itching or sneezing. It holds me over for 24 hrs AND I get a good night's sleep!) The tornadoes - well, I find them fascinating. With respect. I like them better than earthquakes. Earthquakes come out of nowhere and have the potential to destroy a whole area. Tornadoes have warning, a limited path, and I enjoy observing the weather phenomenon and storms that come along with them.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeastern View Post
We moved here 2 years ago and have kids in elementary, middle, and high school.

This is our 6th state, and Huntsville is by far the smallest "metro" we've lived in. You will not find everything in Huntsville, but if you look, you will find plenty.

People are moving in and out of Huntsville all the time due to the companies in the area and the arsenal. Gives a good mix of nationalities, race, and experiences. I believe Huntsville says 1 in 11 residents has an engineering degree.

In 2 years, no one has asked me if I go to church or to what church I belong. Huntsville, Madison, and the majority of the surrounding area is wet.

It's easy to get around the area. Your personal view of traffic will depend on where you've come from. Getting from south Harvest \ Monrovia area or Hampton Cove \ Jones Valley areas to the airport or to Huntsville Hospital or to Palmer Park (Madison) or to Merrimack Park (Huntsville) or to the arsenal can all be done in 30 minutes or less.

The Huntsville metro has it's share of problems. Roads, other infrastructure, and services are way behind. Partially due to the quick growth over the last 15 years, but also due to the low taxes in area (which can be viewed as a pro). Less money to spend. Much of the growth on the north side of Huntsville and Madison is in the county, so no zoning. For some thats a pro and for others a con.

All things considered... a good area for a family. Plenty of outdoor activities for the family, sports teams for the kids, minor league teams to watch, and easy drives to Nashville, Birmingham, and Atlanta.

http://www.tennessee-valley.org/communities/huntsville/comm_profile.html#hsv_demographics

http://www.huntsvillealabamausa.com/newcomers/nc_brochure.pdf

http://www.huntsvillealabamausa.com/new_exp/new_comm_toc.html

Welcome to town.

sounds a lot more sophisticated than Murfreesboro where I moved to from Los Angeles..I have lived in NYC and CT, so I was very nervous being this far south ...there is no culture here to speak of - folks live for their kids, schools are the social center for parents - they meet everyone thru their kids...and church...I love my house - I don't care for the culture (lack of ) here or the subdivision lifestyle...neighbors are all from FLA or NC or other parts of TN...question - who is that German scientist who built up the ballet and the culture of the area when they hired him to work in the US? He saw there was no culture in Huntsville so he put it in! Thanks..I'd love to come down and visit - I love the line nascar outnumbered by engineers/scientists - I am a writer and need to be in a more cultural place than Murfreesboro or Nashville...the latter reminds me too much of Los Angeles - thanks 12b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area