U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 PM

262 posts, read 506,471 times
I think the era of big consumerism is reaching it's peak, quite frankly. I think more and more people are choosing their purchases with quality, more than quantity in mind and that will impact these centers. Yes, I want quality clothes, but I really don't have a need for two closet fulls...so there is a saturation point for most consumers, IMO. I believe that most people are seeing the economic downturn of this year, and choosing to live a different lifestyle than in the past. Most of our friends are choosing to invest rather than spend, spend, spend as was done in the past. Perhaps we are in the minority, but I really don't think so. I think the minority will be those that are continuing to live a consumerist lifestyle. The whole living green push reinforces that we should recycle and reuse, rather than throw away and buy more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 02:58 PM

851 posts, read 1,789,237 times
Default Site Plan

Site plan can be found here...
Huntsville Development News: Wann Springs Master Plan

Last edited by autobahn; 05-03-2008 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Link Image...

Old 05-04-2008, 09:16 PM

57 posts, read 137,214 times
What a very cool development for Madison! I wonder if this is the same type of concept that a local developer said that he would had made plans for a French Quarter-style development in the area. If so this is pretty amazing. Now if they can only bring in a D&G, Prada, Louis Vuitton, Diesel, and all of the higher-end stores that Los Angeles brought to Bridge Street, this area will likely become a mini-Atlanta in terms of its retail offerings to the city and the region. I hope they can bring in a Rainforest Cafe to the center. That food was excellent. The atmosphere was totally amazing itself as I had never been in a restaurant filled with screaming animals. Haha.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:34 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,695,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin_florida View Post
I've walked through Bridge Street a number of times and find it all but crowded. I really don't know how long businesses will be able to survive waiting for BRAC. The Madison Mall and the Decator Mall are probably about 20% vacant. I just don't see the need for more shopping, upscale or other wise.

I am afraid that many BRAC families won't be able to buy in the Huntsville/Madison area because they won't be able to sell their current homes. Sales have seriously slowed in Virginia.
You're right! We were lucky to sell our townhouse at a profit because we were original owners. And it was very difficult for us to come down and see what we could realistically buy without stretching our budget and being "house poor" in Hville. One of the reasons we chose to come to Hville was to get out of the pile of bills living in NO VA gave us. It's outrageously expensive to live and work here. And our goal was zero debt living as soon as that happened. We aren't going to change that when we get down to Hville. We will make very careful, wise decisions and not jump the gun on any purchases unless carefully thought out.

On another note, I love the idea of new shopping areas, but what I want is TRADER JOES to come to Hville. I think there is a market in Hville for this chain and it ROCKS!

C

Old 05-13-2008, 02:15 PM

286 posts, read 677,798 times
Default Multimillion homes don't = shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Now...not sure how many people need a $350 Kate Spade clutch! I refuse to pay that kind of money! But then again...look at the multi-million dollar homes on Monte Sano Mountain...those customers are out there.
I've never eaten at Cheesecake Factory but heard it's really good...and pricy! But I've also heard the chain is in some financial trouble.
This is not NY or LA, and most of the people in Huntsville with money use their money on other things (like the multimillion$$ home). I'm thinking more like their children's education, businesses, etc. Not Kate Spade purses, although, I'm sure they do buy such things.

Big expensive homes don't equate to spending enough to keep Bridge St afloat. Wow, more lifestyle shopping centers. This is so exciting, and I can't wait to see how it all turns out. My friends who are still in Huntsville don't even mention Bridge St anymore since the grand opening. I actually saw someone I know shopping in Chattanooga Hamilton Place Mall. I was like why are you not shopping at Bridge St? Response: that place was over hyped. So what are the problems?

I agree with flstatenolefan about the consumerism. The uber rich are not going to shop at Bridge St. Multimillion$$ homes, not likely shopping there either. It was probably built for the middle class and upper middle class, but again, I think that the culture in Huntsville is not so stuck on consumerism as much as raising a family and watching your kids grow. People in Huntsville with the means are going to spend lots on their homes, and not necessarily on fashion. Just my take.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:36 PM

410 posts, read 1,095,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by financelife View Post
This is not NY or LA, and most of the people in Huntsville with money use their money on other things (like the multimillion$$ home). I'm thinking more like their children's education, businesses, etc. Not Kate Spade purses, although, I'm sure they do buy such things.
No $350 purses, just $40,000 bass boats towed by $40,000 trucks. I don't think Huntsville is exempt from needless consumerism.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:48 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,689,764 times
Not sure if this has been posted but it is a cool google map of things being built in the Huntsville area. Someone named "James V" seems to have to contributed a lot to this map.

Google Maps of Huntsville Area Developments

Old 06-22-2008, 04:23 PM

851 posts, read 1,789,237 times
Updated Master Plan...
Attached Thumbnails
Billion dollar development in Madison-conceptual-rendered-master-plan-small.jpg  

Old 06-28-2008, 12:03 PM

1,645 posts, read 2,695,956 times
When we closed on the house in May, we went to Bridge St to see Indiana Jones. The place was PACKED. They had a special event for the Sex in the City Movie that had drawn tons of ladies to the area. The entire mall/walkway area interior had street musicians and lots of people strolling around. Maybe they weren't "shopping" but good window displays will draw a customer into the store. And they do have some good shops for people who don't want to spend a boatload of money on clothes: Ann Taylor Loft, New York & Co. Sure my daughter is all about Anthropololgie and Juicy Couture (she needs to earn it herself!), but there are reasonably priced stores. And there is a Barnes & Noble coming in, Ulta (love that store) and I think a DSW shoe store--also reasonable.

I think Bridges will do fine.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:42 AM

26,365 posts, read 51,689,764 times
New website:

SweetwaterAlabama.com - Decatur, Alabama - Genesis USA Development, LLC

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area