Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:36 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,377,000 times

Advertisements

I love Ministry's cover of Lay Lady Lay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 12:11 AM

19 posts, read 40,877 times
Well, this is certainly good news, but I am still working on my plans for an RF weapon.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
I've consulted with my electrical engineer friend to design me an electro-magnetic pulse wave gun. Next time a 'ghetto blaster' drive by with the boom boom boom, just point and click, then it's wonderful sound of silence

Old 04-18-2009, 08:46 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Why we need more bikeways in Huntsville.
I may be loud, but at least I'm green.
Now I can listen to my lectures from my Ipod.
This was cheaper than a hearing aid.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM

99 posts, read 251,511 times
I second the hate for "fart cans" (and of course, the BOOM BOOM cars--the worst is when the speakers SUCK, but they blast it that loud anyway with the bass all the way up (RATTLE RATTLE)... ugh...).

Ministry did a cover of Lay Lady Lay?? THAT I have got to hear!

Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 73,000 times
Well, there are laws against casually sailing through red lights, too, but that doesn't seem to stop many drivers around here. Until they install cameras to capture/automatically ticket the red-light runners, the blatant disregard for the law and the safety of others will continue.

The sound ordinance will be just as ineffective. Realize that any sound ordinance fines will most likely be paid by the same parents who purchased the cars for their kids, so in the end no lesson is learned. The only way to make an impression is for police to seize the stereo equipment itself.

I also think many homeowners will be (probably justifiably) afraid to report sound violations in their neighborhoods, for fear the punks will seek revenge for the complaint and vandalize their property or worse.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:02 PM

48 posts, read 147,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemorpho View Post
Until they install cameras to capture/automatically ticket the red-light runners, the blatant disregard for the law and the safety of others will continue.
At the risk of derailing the thread, its worth noting that red light cameras have been shown to actually increase the number of accidents. I've lived places where they had them, and anecdotally it appeared to be true...people will slam on their brakes out of fear of being in the intersection 0.1 seconds too long. Of course, cities who implement red light cameras are also known for reducing the length of yellows (again, making things less safe) to generate more revenue from tickets.

If police would just enforce the current laws we'd be fine. I've seen people run reds, blare music, etc. right in front of cops and they don't get pulled over.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,853,167 times
An audible sound at 25 ft is not that loud at all IMO.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
An audible sound at 25 ft is not that loud at all IMO.
It all depends on the sound level and whether it vibrates your car or not....

Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,853,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It all depends on the sound level and whether it vibrates your car or not....
Roll your windows down and test it out - your radio doesn't have to be up very loud to hear from 25 ft.

The thumpa thumpa cars most people complain about can be heard easily from 50 ft away... often more. The average person jammin' to their favorite radio station on a stock radio will easily be heard from 25 ft. Heck, I can talk to you 25 ft away from a car without shouting.

Soon as we found out about this we went out and tested it after work. Even sound levels everyone agreed to be reasonable and "not too loud" could be heard from 25 ft if the windows are down. We felt the distance should be increased. A lot of people like to lower the windows and jam to their tunes on a pretty day... and this is typically not what most people would call obnoxious unless you have an aftermarket sound system (amp & subs etc).

Personally, I don't care that I hear someone's music when I'm near them at a stoplight. I only care that I don't hear them from inside my house, or my backyard when they drive through the neighborhood.

Increase the distance to 50 ft. 25 ft is barely the opposite row in a parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area