Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 05:16 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,489,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Breeze will restart service from HSV to Charleston on February 17th (They've been selling tickets since the late fall). The Airbus 220 service from HSV to Tampa will begin on May 6th while the Airbus 220 service to Charleston will begin on June 30th. One of the big advantages of the 220's is an expanded first class section (up to 36 seats).

The Points Guys article states that
"the airline plans to quickly expand operations to longer-haul flights, including transcontinental routes. The airline promises to announce “new, longer” routes in the “coming weeks,” which jives with what founder and CEO David Neeleman told reporters at a dinner party late last year celebrating the unveiling of the carrier’s A220."

Here is a link to The Points Guy's article: https://thepointsguy.com/news/breeze...s-a220-routes/

It will be interesting to see if one of the new routes will be from HSV to some city (or cities) in the west. Las Vegas would be an obvious tourist destination, but I'm curious if Breeze wants to enter that market as so many low cost (Southwest) and ultra low cost carriers (like Allegiant, Frontier and Sprint) have large operations there. From what I have read in the past on the Port of Huntsville website, Los Angeles is one of the top destinations from HSV, so an airport in that metro area could also be a possibility.

For now, it is very encouraging that there has been enough business for Frontier and Breeze to keep serving the HSV market. (However, it would be good if Frontier would restart their service to Denver. They may have found it difficult to compete directly with United which has one daily nonstop flight and will have two daily nonstops to Denver during the summer.) It seems that Frontier and Breeze have found the key to having a profitable business at HSV and that is having service only two or three days a week. AirTran had daily service and wasn't able to fill up the planes seven days a week and discontinued service.
I saw a Frontier flight taking off from HSV one day earlier this week (I think Tuesday), but no idea if it was to Denver or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 06:51 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,578,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I saw a Frontier flight taking off from HSV one day earlier this week (I think Tuesday), but no idea if it was to Denver or not.
Orlando/HSV is the only flights with Frontier. Definitely need to add another destination with reasonable connections. Denver would be a good choice as its Frontier’s hub.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:20 PM

640 posts, read 697,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Orlando/HSV is the only flights with Frontier. Definitely need to add another destination with reasonable connections. Denver would be a good choice as its Frontier’s hub.
Hey we should be thrilled to have Frontier. They started here in fall 2018 and I think they have maintained continuous service to Orlando since then, although Denver has come and gone. Hopefully they are building enough of a customer base that will eventually support additional service. I think HSV-LAS would be cool. (Frontier has a big operation at LAS.)

Frontier at HSV is the only ULCC (Ultra Low Cost Carrier) success story in the state. Frontier departed Mobile two years ago and said that was "based on a lack of sufficient demand to support the service".

Meanwhile the Mobile Airport Authority claimed "The Frontier experience in Mobile is a success story. Simply put, the planes were full." That's some pretty good spin.

https://www.fox10tv.com/news/mobile_...cae1c0af6.html

I am hoping Breeze will succeed and am looking to buy a ticket to TPA after the new aircraft debut here.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:26 PM

653 posts, read 588,838 times
Thinking about using Breeze for a long weekend to Charleston with my wife. A trip like this would be a first for us. Would like to go light and cheap but catch the sites and sounds. Have others done the same and if so then care to share your experience, location, place of stay, and etc? Staying with the cheap part of the theme, I guess I could book my wife's fair at the "Nicer" rate and mine at the "Nice" rate which assumes we can get everything into one bag and have it checked. This would save $100 round trip.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:36 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Thinking about using Breeze for a long weekend to Charleston with my wife. A trip like this would be a first for us. Would like to go light and cheap but catch the sites and sounds. Have others done the same and if so then care to share your experience, location, place of stay, and etc? Staying with the cheap part of the theme, I guess I could book my wife's fair at the "Nicer" rate and mine at the "Nice" rate which assumes we can get everything into one bag and have it checked. This would save $100 round trip.
It’s the convenience of not having to connect in Charlotte or Atlanta. Non direct flights can be cost competitive but it’s the rental and hotel and food that quickly add up, which are equal regardless of the airline. For travel locations, the Charleston forum may have running threads.

Quick look on Expedia shows, for a weekend in April, 2 people, round trip, with hotel, can be under $$1,000. Lots of options.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
It’s the convenience of not having to connect in Charlotte or Atlanta. Non direct flights can be cost competitive but it’s the rental and hotel and food that quickly add up, which are equal regardless of the airline. For travel locations, the Charleston forum may have running threads.

Quick look on Expedia shows, for a weekend in April, 2 people, round trip, with hotel, can be under $$1,000. Lots of options.
To put in perspective, that's cheaper than a football game in the SEC, considering 2-night minimum hotel stays at ridiculous pricing during game weekends, tickets, etc. Back when we had season tickets, and everything was counted (including seat fees just to buy the tickets), a home weekend would be about $1200 for two of us. And at a place like Tuscaloosa, it'd likely be a lot more.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:08 AM

Breeze adding nonstop flights to and from Las Vegas from Huntsville, August 4th.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/bre...-to-las-vegas/

Old 03-08-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Breeze adding nonstop flights to and from Las Vegas from Huntsville, August 4th.

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/bre...-to-las-vegas/
Ah, they must read the forum. I may have to use that one.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Ah, they must read the forum. I may have to use that one.
Should be popular and on brand new Airbus 220 planes . They are beautiful planes being built in Mobile.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:54 AM

82 posts, read 75,117 times
My Mom has flown up here twice from Tampa on Breeze. Both times the planes were full in both directions, good for business and longevity servicing HSV.

We have wanted to fly with them to visit her and other family in Tampa, but the return flights leave TPA at 8am, odd scheduling on Breeze’s part, who wants to leave Florida at that time in the morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area