U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 01:04 PM

567 posts, read 556,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Lol at depressed area. So all of Birmingham metro is depressed and 422 is only a handout for poor people.
No, I-422 is really a handout to the large landowners in North and West Jefferson County.

http://media.al.com/bn/other/1213BELTPROP.pdf

I-459 was pretty easy and cheap to build due to the topography and terrain. I-422 goes through a lot of mountainous terrain and will be very costly per mile as a result.

Imagine how much of I-65 could be widened for $369 million in this bill alone, much less the whole $5 billion plus cost of the full loop.

Or maybe they will need the $369 million just to finish paving the 1.34 miles that has been sitting there for some years, and put that into actual service.

Isn't it B-E-A-youtiful!

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/12/...tline-alabama/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 01:17 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,853,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
No, I-422 is really a handout to the large landowners in North and West Jefferson County.

http://media.al.com/bn/other/1213BELTPROP.pdf

I-459 was pretty easy and cheap to build due to the topography and terrain. I-422 goes through a lot of mountainous terrain and will be very costly per mile as a result.

Imagine how much of I-65 could be widened for $369 million in this bill alone, much less the whole $5 billion plus cost of the full loop.

Or maybe they will need the $369 million just to finish paving the 1.34 miles that has been sitting there for some years, and put that into actual service.

Isn't it B-E-A-youtiful!

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/12/...tline-alabama/
There is no way this pet project will be that cheap. Make it a toll road and see what kind of reaction you get

Old 08-27-2021, 01:30 PM

98 posts, read 96,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Colin - where does ALDOT and the cities get all the asphalt they're using? Does Huntsville have a plant of their own, or is it being trucked in from elsewhere?

Most of the record-setting work in Birmingham used concrete unless I'm mistaken.
ALDOT gets asphalt from the paving companies in the state. They may not get the amounts they need or the exact mix that they need due to the time spent switching over to a different mix when the contractor themselves needs a much larger volume of asphalt than ALDOT does.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:32 PM

2,300 posts, read 1,772,181 times
Quote:
It is insane to see how much land US Steel owns in Jefferson County.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:39 PM

1,386 posts, read 946,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post

Jesus that's a lot of land

Old 08-27-2021, 02:02 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,410,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
You are totally wrong. No one is popping bottles or having parades. Get off your delusional attitude.
422 is a complete waste of money and won’t ever be completed. Take that money and fix 280.
Correct. And this area sends plenty of road tax/gasoline tax money to Montgomery that we never get back, so might as well use it to fix the 280 mess. In fact, I suspect that one day it'll be an Interstate (or at least a freeway) all the way to Auburn. 65 on the south side below Hoover and toward Calera and other towns can get pretty congested as well.

Bankhead - you and some other posters sure are defensive about Huntsville taking over the #1 spot. The majority of people here don't care, and a large portion don't even know about it. We fully realize that B'ham is the largest metro (and if a larger metro means crime running rampant, I don't want it to get any larger) and all the Interstates having a confluence there doesn't hurt the area at all. At the time the Interstate system was laid out, in the 1950s, it made perfect sense. If it were to start from scratch in 2021, I think you'd see a different system in the state.

Old 08-27-2021, 02:04 PM

552 posts, read 295,350 times
Quote:
As most of these projects usually are. To believe they are built for the common man to benefit first and foremost would be delusional.

Quote:
I imagine they'll try to do both. I imagine over the next 50 years they'll widen 65, "fix" 280, build a few miles of 422 and improve the 459/280 interchange... and still not do a MEM-HSV-ATL interstate.

Old 08-27-2021, 02:04 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,410,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
I have no say in where they spend that money. You can't "fix" 280, but I'm sure they'll try and that guy will complain about that too. Any money spent on roads here is a waste of money apparently. If 422 is ever completed I'll either be dead or to old to drive or care. How's that for delusional?
I'd be willing bet than none of the posters on here has any input at all toward how money is spent for roadways.

Old 08-27-2021, 02:09 PM

552 posts, read 295,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Bankhead - you and some other posters sure are defensive about Huntsville taking over the #1 spot. The majority of people here don't care, and a large portion don't even know about it. We fully realize that B'ham is the largest metro (and if a larger metro means crime running rampant, I don't want it to get any larger) and all the Interstates having a confluence there doesn't hurt the area at all. At the time the Interstate system was laid out, in the 1950s, it made perfect sense. If it were to start from scratch in 2021, I think you'd see a different system in the state.
Actually no. You conveniently forgot calling the entire area depressed and needing some sort of care package road to encourage development. You've made several comments about your disdain for the attention ALDOT gives to Birmingham.. That was what I was repsonding about. Crime is not running rampant here and a larger area that is a hub for transportation and interstate travel would still receive the most attention even if we started from scratch.

Old 08-27-2021, 02:23 PM

567 posts, read 556,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post

There is a great al.com article about I-422 being a giveaway to landowners in JeffCo. I'll try again to find it.

edit: found it.

https://www.al.com/opinion/2015/12/w...e_norther.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area