U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 10:22 AM

10,398 posts, read 6,487,346 times

Advertisements

My son lives in metro Atlanta and we met there so I could take some needed items to him. Mentone's about the midway point, and believe it our not, we arrived within 5 minutes of each other.

The reason for the post is - never have I seen a time when the need for an Atlanta/Huntsville freeway has been more obvious. After turning off Hwy 35, the trip on to Mentone took forever and traffic has increased dramatically since the last time I drove that route. There was a road repair project with long delays going up the mountain (looked like culvert was being replaced underneath the roadway), but even without that necessary delay, trucks were crawling up the hills, cars were flying down them, and the road is fraught with danger. What could be a 2 hour trip to north Atlanta is well over 3 hours because of the lack of roads.

Hopefully, at some point in the future, a freeway, maybe even an Interstate, will be built. Upgrading Hwy 72 to Scottsboro won't be an easy task, but it's doable; going over the mountains will be a formidable job, but it can and should be done. There are much more mountainous Interstates in the US that were much more difficult to construct.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 11:43 AM

2,258 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Sorry, I don't think folks living in the area would be for that. One of the charms on Mentone is it is out of the way. Little River Falls parking lot is often few, even after the expansion on the W/E. They are re-doing and expanding the Hippie Hole lot, I'm sure it will be full also once it reopens.
More traffic is not needed!

Old 09-11-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Sorry, I don't think folks living in the area would be for that. One of the charms on Mentone is it is out of the way. Little River Falls parking lot is often few, even after the expansion on the W/E. They are re-doing and expanding the Hippie Hole lot, I'm sure it will be full also once it reopens.
More traffic is not needed!
Not proposing that a new highway go through Mentone. No need to. In fact, you'd want to bypass all the small towns on the way, except maybe Rome.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:10 AM

3,882 posts, read 3,706,732 times
My daughter lives just outside of Atlanta but on the south side so I generally head that way from a southerly direction (I'm in S. Hsv). I HATE to have to drive thru or bypass Atl but I miss it all together if I come in from the south. But yes, it would be nice if there were some direct route heading in that direction from Huntsville. One either has to go north or directly south to go east.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:24 AM

2,258 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
My daughter lives just outside of Atlanta but on the south side so I generally head that way from a southerly direction (I'm in S. Hsv). I HATE to have to drive thru or bypass Atl but I miss it all together if I come in from the south. But yes, it would be nice if there were some direct route heading in that direction from Huntsville. One either has to go north or directly south to go east.
We go hwy 35 from Fort Payne, then turn on 9 going into Rome (turns into 20), then pick up 411 to 41.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
We used to live in SE Huntsville, and would go to Atlanta through Gadsden, and then take I-20 in. It's a rough trip no matter which route you take, and it takes twice as long as it would if there were an interstate or even a regular freeway into Atlanta, preferably in the northern suburbs (coming in at Adairsville would be good.).

Old 09-12-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
We go hwy 35 from Fort Payne, then turn on 9 going into Rome (turns into 20), then pick up 411 to 41.
I've been that way too, but it's not easy either and there are too many small and larger towns to go through. Building through the mountains is of course more difficult than on flat land, but it can be done. Look at 59 from B'ham to Chattanooga and 40 around Asheville. Lots of hills there, and some are pretty sizable. Not to mention parts of the midwest and western states. So that can't logically be used as an excuse. I've never taken I-22 from Birmingham to Memphis, but I'll guess it's pretty hilly from B'ham to Hamilton, then relatively flat beyond that.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:28 AM

573 posts, read 716,354 times
I've noticed an increase in the number of 18-wheelers using the Mentone route over the past couple years.

Not long ago, I was coming back from a visit to Dallas, GA and used the new GA 1 West Rome Bypass for the first time. It was pretty dark going that way on a rainy night with almost no traffic.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:21 PM

6,026 posts, read 17,588,918 times
There is already an Atlanta to Memphis interstate.
It is I-20/59 to I-65 to I-22 through Birmingham.
I predict that there will NOT be an east-west interstate built through North Alabama because it would be beastly expensive to build a bridge over the Tennessee River, as well as cross the mountain range between Georgia and Alabama.
If there is an east-west road built, more than likely it would be via Chattanooga and across southern Tennessee. There are already ways to cross the river in the Chattanooga area.
Most of us won't be alive to see it.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:57 PM

3,239 posts, read 4,364,185 times
The route was studied and a proposal for an Interstate made that went through North Alabama. It was called the Memphis to Atlanta highway or something like that and I believe was even designated a proposed Interstate number. If I remember correctly, ALDOT basically killed it by not considering to allocate funding. Instead, I22 was built. So I seriously doubt it will happen in the next 30 to 40 years. That is unless we as citizens finally cause enough of a commotion they start listening to us. It is seriously needed but how do we get it built?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area