Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would I be welcomed in Alabama?
Absolutely, southern hospitality will be felt! 21 77.78%
Perhaps, depends on who you ask. 4 14.81%
Most likely, not and you should look elsewhere. 0 0%
Not at all welcome, don't even bother to move to Alabama. 2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 04:14 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times

Advertisements

I should have been more clear by stating that I have found it to be pretty gloomy and rainy all your long. Kept waiting all Spring and Summer for things to change and they never quite did!

I've been here for two autumns now and the weather seems to be pretty good that time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,268 times
Dear Everyone:

I appreciate sincerely Everyone's input on what would have been the possiblity of me relocating to Alabama. I've had a lot going on with me lately and been away from my computer because of this...anyhow, I will no longer be looking at relocating to Alabama.

Wish you all a Happy New Year and thanks again for providing such great information. Hopefully it will help someone else

Thanks everyone!
-Richard

Old 01-07-2022, 04:47 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
2). Do you hunt? like guns? That's another way to get to know people. Most men like guns here and most women been to shooting with their men so they too are knowledgeable about guns. You can see open carry occasionally in local restaurants, Costco, or Walmart. Most won't even blink an eye to it.
Native Southerner, here all my life and only once have I shot a rifle, never a pistol or handgun. That said, I don't freak when I seem someone publicly carrying a gun. I find that if they're carrying, they know how and when to shoot and are more likely to use it for protection - theirs and mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH01 View Post
Dear Everyone:
I appreciate sincerely Everyone's input on what would have been the possiblity of me relocating to Alabama. I've had a lot going on with me lately and been away from my computer because of this...anyhow, I will no longer be looking at relocating to Alabama.
Wish you all a Happy New Year and thanks again for providing such great information. Hopefully it will help someone else
Thanks everyone!
-Richard
Aw, sorry to hear that. Good luck to you, sir!

Old 01-28-2022, 07:56 AM

12 posts, read 12,576 times
What scared him away? The rainy gloomy weather?

Old 01-29-2022, 05:08 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Sheesh look at those typos in my post above.

OP I wanted to add that I saw recently the Huntsville area gets more rain than Seattle does. I really had to laugh at that but the rain is very different here. It comes down in torrents and passes quickly. It's just that it happens frequently. That's different than the PNW drizzle. (I lived in Portland for seven years.)

I think having lived in Seattle you would feel at home with the weather here except for the tornado part, but that of course you can get used to. If you're moving away from Washington to get away from the cloudy gloom and rain, then based on the last couple of years you're not going to avoid that here. I'm really hoping this next year is better as far as rain and gloom goes.
I'm planning a trip to the Huntsville area, targeting autumn of '22. Closest in proximity I have been is Nashville. I was only there for 3 sun-filled days and it never occurred to me that the area could be so rainy. Guess I should have, with all that beautiful green.

I have to admit, the romantic comedies of life in a small southern town have always been my reason for wanting to check out the south, the Huntsville region in particular. Thanks for the reminder that there's almost always a trade-off.....not really a negative, just an awareness.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:42 PM

32 posts, read 32,427 times
My mom just moved down to Madison from Louisville, and she can't stop gushing over how friendly everyone is. The people at Publix grocery store carry out her bags and help her load them in the car with a "Have a blessed day, Ma'am." The stranger at the drugstore helps her get something down from a shelf and asks if they can do anything else to help. The next door neighbors come over and share all the tips and tricks of the neighborhood, and give her their phone numbers. It goes on and on. My family moved here from Long Beach, CA four years ago, and it was the best thing we ever did. Yes, the summers are humid. Oh well, small price to pay.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:48 PM

Ha! I lived in Long Beach for a few years, and am from the San Gabriel Valley. I feel the same way. Employees in stores are nicer, friendlier, less rushed. Summers are humid, and you need a full body mesh suit in some areas of the metro to fight the BUGS. Oh well. I've got mine all ready for the spring onslaught.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:16 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Ha! I lived in Long Beach for a few years, and am from the San Gabriel Valley. I feel the same way. Employees in stores are nicer, friendlier, less rushed. Summers are humid, and you need a full body mesh suit in some areas of the metro to fight the BUGS. Oh well. I've got mine all ready for the spring onslaught.
The bugs in Huntsville are amateurs. Similar to traffic “problems” in Huntsville. Perspective.

But apparently Alabama is #6 on multiple “mosquito lists”. But the traffic problems are not in top 10.
https://www.pestcontrolreviews.com/t...or-mosquitoes/

Old 02-19-2022, 10:10 AM

12,967 posts, read 9,485,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The bugs in Huntsville are amateurs. Similar to traffic “problems” in Huntsville. Perspective.

But apparently Alabama is #6 on multiple “mosquito lists”. But the traffic problems are not in top 10.
Most likely not even near the top 100, but neither is any other place in Alabama. It's all relative - traffic is worse here than, say Tupelo, MS, but not nearly as bad as Atlanta or Nashville. Local traffic is, however, fairly heavy for the road system we have (or don't have).

Old 02-20-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post

Came back through Birmingham last night, went through Birmingham Wednesday night. Birmingham traffic and drivers suck. Bad. There is no excuse for it. This isn't Los Angeles. Or New York. Or Seattle. I've driven in many major cities. Birmingham is definitely in the top five.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area