Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,338,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbiron View Post
11k in property taxes is not bad.... I just moved from NJ where a 1000 sq ft house you would pay 5 - 6 k. House of that size in NJ you would probably pay >100k a year in taxes....
Bless your heart. You're not from around here, are you honey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 AM

86 posts, read 233,625 times
I'm from Florence which is close enough to Huntsville (where I live now) to be relative. Here are a few famous people in Florence/Muscle Shoals:

Josh Willingham (plays for Washington Nationals) and went to UNA.
Mac MacAnally has a house on the river with a recording studio that Jimmy Buffett uses.
Stewart Cink (golfer) born and raised in Florence. Think he still has property there.
George Lindsey (Gomer Pile) lives in Florence and attended UNA.

There are some other musicians, just having a hard time remembering names.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 AM

73 posts, read 203,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Bless your heart. You're not from around here, are you honey?

Born and raised in NJ. Moved to HSV about 2 years ago. My parents still live in NJ and I get quite a kick out of comparing property taxes with them. Just signed a contract to build a home (first one!) and what I will pay in taxes for a year for a 2400 sq ft house they pay a month for a 1000 sq ft house!! Lets just say I enjoy rubbing in a little

Old 11-19-2009, 08:39 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,145,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
skinem - is the town of Skinem TN up around the State line named after you?
I'm old, but not quite THAT old! It's been around awhile. There's a family connection, thus the screen name.

George Lindsay used to teach at Hazel Green High School before Andy Griffith. He was one of my friend's ball coach.

Astronaut Jan Davis is from Hunstville and graduated from HHS.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,406,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is pretty incredible:

Roger Woodward (Niagara Falls)
This article is about the man that survived a plunge over the Horseshoe (Niagara) Falls. Roger Woodward (born in 1953) became famous at the age of seven when he survived a plunge over the Niagara Falls. On July 9 1960, he and his sister, seventeen-year-old Deanne Woodward, were taken on a boat ride in the upper Niagara River by a local man named Jim Honeycutt. The boat's motor failed and it capsized, sending its passengers into the water rapidly approaching the cataract. Honeycutt was swept over the Falls and died. His body was found four days later. Deanne was rescued from the water just metres from the brink of the Canadian Falls.

Roger, wearing only a life jacket, went over the Horseshoe Falls and miraculously survived. A Maid of the Mist boat lifted him out of the water downstream of the Falls. He suffered only a slight concussion. As of 2006, he remains the only person who has survived an unprotected drop over the Falls.

He lives today in Huntsville, Alabama.

from

Roger Woodward (Niagara Falls) at AllExperts (http://en.allexperts.com/e/r/ro/roger_woodward_%28niagara_falls%29.htm - broken link)

Again in the news on the 50th anniversary of that event.
Ala. man remembers going over Niagara Falls as boy - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100716/ap_on_re_us/us_niagara_falls_survivor - broken link)

Old 07-18-2010, 07:51 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,328,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbiron View Post
11k in property taxes is not bad.... I just moved from NJ where a 1000 sq ft house you would pay 5 - 6 k. House of that size in NJ you would probably pay >100k a year in taxes....
No, 11K in property taxes is not bad, but in Alabama it's basically a sin to pay that much outside of the Birmingham suburbs. But even there, my parents live in a 12K+ sq ft house and they pay less than 11K. Alabama has different priorities though.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:58 PM

36 posts, read 85,746 times
Ok, I read through this thread and haven't seen this one mentioned yet.

John Hendricks - Founder of the Discovery Channel went to Butler High School and UAH.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,822,355 times
There was an article in the Huntsville times a few weeks ago about John Hendricks and his Huntsville connections. Very interesting.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,917,863 times
I don't think they have been mentioned, but Walter Jones, who was one of the best left tackles in the NFL, lives in Huntsville, and Phillip Rivers, QB with the Chargers, is from Athens.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM

430 posts, read 1,055,475 times
I don't know if he still does, but George Jones had a house over in the Shoals area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area