U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,189 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to HSV, but I am concerned about No-see-ums. We lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida and I had to leave after only 5 months because the no-see-ums were eating me alive. I tried the recommended B vitamins, garlic, Avon Skin-So-Soft, etc., with no relief. Even bug repellent containing deet didn't help. Please tell me if this is a problem in Huntsville; in the city and in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 PM

433 posts, read 1,130,514 times
Default sand gnats

We are moving to Madison from Savannah this summer. We have the worst sand gnats(no-see ums)around. We can't even go outside! My husband has been living in Madison for a month now and he has been so relieved to know first hand that there are no sand gnats! We are actually looking forward to having patio furniture and actually using it for the first time in 2 years.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 PM

13,566 posts, read 23,078,411 times
I don't live in Madison county but on Brindlee mountain, we don't have no-see-ums. Flies and mosquitoes are the biggest pest, actually flies more than mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are around tho in the evening.

I sit outside sometimes in the evening and watch the fire flies. It is so neat to watch them. When we first moved up here from FL, my grandsons had never seen a fire fly.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,955,211 times
Thanks boilrmkr for explaining what no-see-ums are. I have never heard of that term before. I live in Madison County and I can second that the flies are bad and mosquitoes are only around in the evening.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:26 AM

13,566 posts, read 23,078,411 times
No-see-ums are what they are called in FL because they are so small you can't really see them even when they bite you.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 05-24-2008, 11:38 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,903,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwajbabe View Post
We are considering a move to HSV, but I am concerned about No-see-ums. We lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida and I had to leave after only 5 months because the no-see-ums were eating me alive. I tried the recommended B vitamins, garlic, Avon Skin-So-Soft, etc., with no relief. Even bug repellent containing deet didn't help. Please tell me if this is a problem in Huntsville; in the city and in the country?
I haven't heard about the no see ums-- but I was told that fire ants are a problem. That's a big problem for me as I am super allergic and have landed in ER with Anaphylactic, Hitch like swelling after bitten. We plan to treat on a regular basis against the nasty critters.

I prefer veranda with porch/screened in and wear shoes on the grass!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 PM

852 posts, read 1,904,971 times
Never had an issue with gnats or no-see-ums in Madison City. Do have occassional mosquito at night - but do have a screened in porch for sitting out in the evenings. Bugs are a lot less than what we had in Northern Virginia growing up. Had to wear gnat hats there just to mow the lawn. Never here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area