Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 02:36 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
Litter and other issues get posted a lot on Huntsville Connect. You can report litter on city property and litter on private property as well as other issues.

Here is the link: https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/residen...ervice-request
Litter along major roadways shouldn't have to be reported - it's obvious to everybody, including those who are responsible for cleanup. A good start would be to stop and fine those who littler, including trucks that have tires to rip off and they just leave them laying. I'm not a tree hugger but we all need to be aware of how we're treating the place we live.

I noticed one thing with a little Google "research" (numbers are approximate):

Huntsville, about 216,000 population. Annual budget about $245M 500 sworn police officers
Montgomery, about 199,000 population. Annual budget about $290M 524 sworn police officers
Birmingham, about 197,500 population. Annual budget about $455M 912 sworn police officers
Mobile, about 185,000. Annual budget $298M 450+ sworn police officers

The per capita spending seems a little off, especially with Birmingham, being a smaller city, has a budget almost twice that of the largest city in the state. Do the other 3 towns out of the 4 major cities have more and better services (sort of relating to the other discussion started by the new aero guy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 02:51 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Your consultant recommended you move to Madison, Village of Providence, and Bridge Street, yet you chose to rent at The Collins which is in none of those areas (it's a new, really nice apartment complex but located just across the street from what was once known as Rime Village, nice at one time but now undesirables have moved into there and it's, from what I've heard, a drug haven. But it, and all the numerous new apartment complexes should have been on your list, along with MidCity or downtown). Purchasing a home in those three recommended areas is going to require more money than a new engineer will make.

If you're talking about investment property, renting it while it increases in value, you might want to reconsider renting. From what I've heard from landlord friends, renting will drive you crazy. Renters take no pride in the house and often destroy the place. So think about that one. And the area you posted about in the Birmingham forum - that's essentially a ghetto. You might get shot just driving through looking. Do what you like but with caution.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:00 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
This thread needs a little humor. Oldie, but goodie.

Invasive Species.

Northerner Migratorius. They come here for the milder winters and better economy. Typically indistinguishable from their Southern counterparts, as soon as they begin nesting they are easily identified by distinctive calls that go like these:

"WediditmuchbetterinMassaCHEWsets," or "WhyisitsoHOTdownhere," or "WeneedtoraiseTAXes."

These calls will go on for weeks and weeks, being ignored by others until a member of their species answers. Then they meet at the pool and begin pair bonding with the following:

"WhyisntaNORDstromshere" and "IgetsotiredofhearingaboutfootballIcouldjustsc ream ."

There's really no measures you can take. Just smile nicely. 50% mutate into a more benign species, while the other 50% migrate back to where they came.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post

Invasive Species.

Northerner Migratorius. They come here for the milder winters and better economy. Typically indistinguishable from their Southern counterparts, as soon as they begin nesting they are easily identified by distinctive calls that go like these:

"WediditmuchbetterinMassaCHEWsets," or "WhyisitsoHOTdownhere," or "WeneedtoraiseTAXes."

These calls will go on for weeks and weeks, being ignored by others until a member of their species answers. Then they meet at the pool and begin pair bonding with the following:

"WhyisntaNORDstromshere" and "IgetsotiredofhearingaboutfootballIcouldjustsc ream ."

There's really no measures you can take. Just smile nicely. 50% mutate into a more benign species, while the other 50% migrate back to where they came.
Perfect!

Old 08-29-2022, 07:05 PM

493 posts, read 712,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Litter along major roadways shouldn't have to be reported - it's obvious to everybody, including those who are responsible for cleanup. A good start would be to stop and fine those who littler, including trucks that have tires to rip off and they just leave them laying. I'm not a tree hugger but we all need to be aware of how we're treating the place we live.

Huntsville, about 216,000 population. Annual budget about $245M 500 sworn police officers
Montgomery, about 199,000 population. Annual budget about $290M 524 sworn police officers
Birmingham, about 197,500 population. Annual budget about $455M 912 sworn police officers

The per capita spending seems a little off, especially with Birmingham, being a smaller city, has a budget almost twice that of the largest city in the state. Do the other 3 towns out of the 4 major cities have more and better services (sort of relating to the other discussion started by the new aero guy).
I agree, but there's no way any of those cities can stop and fine every vehicle that throws out litter.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:31 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,731 times
Quote:

Surely you are smart enough to understand that Birmingham has the built environment of a city of a half million with the surrounding area that contains a million people. Reduction of inner-city population does not diminish the infrastructure that must be maintained and of course law enforcement.

You may also not realize that Birmingham is the center of the state and due to that and the history of state development, the city is the obvious crossed roads of the state and region. Much traffic and commerce occur from people that are not residents. Surely you must be able to understand the difference between a community policing itself and one that is servicing a region. A case in point; every time twenty or fifty thousand people go downtown for a concert, the majority of these people are not from within the city. This is true also with travel, retail, dining and certainly not to forget the medical district.

So, those of us who live in Alabama's only large metropolitan district should be thankful that the city does not see its responsibilities as simply as do you.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:59 AM

130 posts, read 105,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post

Invasive Species.

A lot of people here have an incredible inferiority complex- I notice that at work more often now but 95% of people in positions of leadership within our company are not from here.

The "carpetbagger" idea is still very much alive in the minds of a lot of natives here, your post was hilarious but there is definitely some truth to it, a certain sense of distrust with outsiders and a fear that, it is just a matter of time before they outperform or exploit us.

All I can say, 99% of the issues in this state that do not happen in other states are directly related to low levels of education-the moment this state starts to value education, you will see some major changes.

Also, the fact that you kept an entire group of people segregated, excluded and deprived from any type of humanity and dignity for many years will come back and bite you in the ass for centuries to come.

If I were to do a root cause analysis on all the things I do not like so far about this state, ignorance would be the root cause of pretty much all of them.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:15 AM

130 posts, read 105,871 times
Quote:
Your consultant recommended you move to Madison, Village of Providence, and Bridge Street, yet you chose to rent at The Collins which is in none of those areas (it's a new, really nice apartment complex but located just across the street from what was once known as Rime Village, nice at one time but now undesirables have moved into there and it's, from what I've heard, a drug haven. But it, and all the numerous new apartment complexes should have been on your list, along with MidCity or downtown). Purchasing a home in those three recommended areas is going to require more money than a new engineer will make.
The Collins was rated the best apartment complex in the state of Alabama, it is a super nice place, so I chose the best possible option here, I believe- I don't know anything about this drug infested place you are speaking of but I am not sure how that would affect me.

I am not a new engineer, not sure where you got that idea but there are still decent homes in Madison right now in the 200K-250K range.

I am looking for a fixer upper, so I am seeing those mostly listed in the 220-240K range which is very affordable for someone working in Aerospace in a Senior Engineer position with no kids and no wife.

The homes I am seeing listed in the 250-300K range in Madison are pretty much in very good to pristine condition-some are even brand new construction, so that area is still relatively affordable

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 08-30-2022 at 01:27 AM..

Old 08-30-2022, 06:06 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
A lot of people here have an incredible inferiority complex- I notice that at work more often now but 95% of people in positions of leadership within our company are not from here.
Just a note here, in large to medium sized companies your statement in true all over, not just in Huntsville so this is nothing unusual.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:35 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,215,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
The homes I am seeing listed in the 250-300K range in Madison are pretty much in very good to pristine condition-some are even brand new construction, so that area is still relatively affordable
Provide some links. The ones you are referring to may have a Madison address but aren't in Madison city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area