Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 05:01 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Dude, you came in here telling everyone that this area is uneducated and ignorant according to your standards. You chose to live in a blighted area and assumed the entire area is like that. Then you tell us you are coming into town on your white horse to help liberate us from our ignorance because you are well traveled or something.

You sound young and naive and don't understand that this entire nation is different in every state and every city.
No he sounds like a typical, know it all engineer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 05:14 PM

130 posts, read 105,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
^Amen to all that.

Tell us how you're not a carpetbagger.

It's very clear you've never taken a history, anthropology, or sociology course in your entire life. Life is only about business and money, isn't it?

Then you become bewildered and upset when people see right through your mindset and refuse to see just how smart you are by investing in such a "misguided" state as Alabama.

Do you really not see that you are exactly the type of outsider that Alabamians do not want here? Are you that guy who says inappropriate and offensive things at the office that makes co-workers talk about you behind your back and shun you? Sure seems like it.

Just buy your house in Madison, make some money on it and vamoose, okay? Spare us your "original" insights about Alabama which are already extremely obvious to the general onlooker and have been for generations but are unlikely to be resolved - especially not during your time frame.

You're the latest example of people who come on here with extremely misguided ideas and statements and then wonder why people keep lambasting you and you wonder why people become annoyed when you won't pay attention to the criticisms that you receive and come back with a viable rebuttal.

And as I said, tell us how you're not a carpetbagger.

SMH.

What the hell is a carpetbagger anyways, is this a term from the 1800's? I had never heard this word before used in the context that you guys use down here and I have lived in 8 different states.

I came to Alabama because I saw an incredible opportunity here to further my career here- you should be happy that there are people from all over the country and the world moving here and bringing new energy, new ideas and new ways of thinking to this place, Huntsville area in particular

I know very few people in my area that are moving to places like Montgomery, Mobile or even Birmingham- so you should be open to new ideas, constructive criticism and feedback coming from newcomers.

"Extremely misguided ideas and statements"- Please give me an example- If you want to scroll all the way back to beginning of the thread- If there is anything that I stated during this thread that is false or untrue, please point it out.

I will give you perfect example of some of the stuff that annoys and makes no sense in my mind:

If you are heading West on Madison Blvd just before Intergraph Way, there is no access to the businesses on the Left then if you turn Left onto Intergraph Way, you gotta go all the way to the roundabout, circle it all the way around and then head on Intergraph Way going the opposite way towards Madison Blvd-

I am almost forced to make an illegal U-turn right there, each and every time because it does not make sense to go all the way down to the roundabout and circle it.

Do you even understand how many illegal U-Turns I was forced to make around Huntsville since I moved here? They have become a way of life- As much as I do not in any way encourage people to break transit laws, it is the only way to react to a roadway design that makes absolutely no rational or logical sense in my mind, whatsoever.

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 08-30-2022 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-30-2022, 05:49 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
This has been the most frustrating discussion I have ever had on this site. One guy tells me that I will be living near a drug infested place that probably has not existed in 5 years- the other calls me a carpetbagger.

I hope this forum is not representative of how most people think here, if it is, I have to say, what a bizarre mindset!

All I am doing is buying a house in Madison- your level of projection is just insane- Somehow investing in a community is considered "gaming the system"- walk me through that logic if you will.
Investing in a community means growing and nurturing it. You sound like the traditional missionary bringing your lifestyle, values and prejustices who apparently has to live in an undesirable place because of a job he could not get anywhere else.

You are not buying a house. You are drooling over a quick cash out of so far unhatched eggs already.

Were you open minded and willing to learn about people, traditions and the local way of life you might be surprised.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:13 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,588 times
Quote:
I came to Alabama because I saw an incredible opportunity here to further my career here- you should be happy that there are people from all over the country and the world moving here and bringing new energy, new ideas and new ways of thinking to this place, Huntsville area in particular
You're about 20-40+ years behind the times man. People from all over the country and the world have been moving to this community since we got Von Braun out Germany and sent him here. To think that we should be happy someone like you is coming here is absolutely clueless and ignorant on your part.

But keep doubling down. This is entertaining.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:15 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
From quite a few posts ago, if you'd bothered to read it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
carpetbagger noun

car·​pet·​bag·​ger | \ ˈkär-pət-ˌba-gər \
plural carpetbaggers
Definition of carpetbagger
1 disapproving : a Northerner in the South after the American Civil War usually seeking private gain under the Reconstruction governments
2 disapproving : OUTSIDER
especially : a nonresident or new resident who seeks private gain from an area often by meddling in its business or politics

Old 08-30-2022, 07:46 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Dude, you came in here telling everyone that this area is uneducated and ignorant according to your standards. You chose to live in a blighted area and assumed the entire area is like that. Then you tell us you are coming into town on your white horse to help liberate us from our ignorance because you are well traveled or something.

You sound young and naive and don't understand that this entire nation is different in every state and every city.

Now you're just gaslighting with this last reply.

Go troll elsewhere.
Nailed it.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:57 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times
Quote:
What the hell is a carpetbagger anyways, is this a term from the 1800's? I had never heard this word before used in the context that you guys use down here and I have lived in 8 different states.

I know very few people in my area that are moving to places like Montgomery, Mobile or even Birmingham- so you should be open to new ideas, constructive criticism and feedback coming from newcomers.

"Extremely misguided ideas and statements"- Please give me an example- If you want to scroll all the way back to beginning of the thread- If there is anything that I stated during this thread that is false or untrue, please point it out.

I will give you perfect example of some of the stuff that annoys and makes no sense in my mind:

If you are heading West on Madison Blvd just before Intergraph Way, there is no access to the businesses on the Left then if you turn Left onto Intergraph Way, you gotta go all the way to the roundabout, circle it all the way around and then head on Intergraph Way going the opposite way towards Madison Blvd-

I am almost forced to make an illegal U-turn right there, each and every time because it does not make sense to go all the way down to the roundabout and circle it.

Do you even understand how many illegal U-Turns I was forced to make around Huntsville since I moved here? They have become a way of life- As much as I do not in any way encourage people to break transit laws, it is the only way to react to a roadway design that makes absolutely no rational or logical sense in my mind, whatsoever.
I would think an aeroengineer would have heard of Merriam-Webster.

Some of your statements.

I think it is probably a combination of ignorance, low standards and truly "not knowing any better"

I like living here so far but I feel that, there is a culture of low standards here that seems to be a recurring theme- it is not one or two places, it is a lot of them!

All I can think is ignorance, incompetent leadership and low standards.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You are not buying a house. You are drooling over a quick cash out of so far unhatched eggs already.

Were you open minded and willing to learn about people, traditions and the local way of life you might be surprised.
Unhatched eggs? Most of the homes I have seen here so far in Madison lack any kind of style or curb appeal. My first project here will be a style of home renovation that does not even exist in this area yet.

Like Arya Stark said, you don't even stage your homes when you are trying to sell.

I will quote her again-"Also, when I look at real estate ads in New England all the homes are "staged" but in the south? Not so in the south and they don't even seem to do the basics.. like switch out 1980s fixtures for 2022 fixtures"

Any money I will be making off my upcoming projects in this area is 100% my ideas, my effort and my vision- things I learned in places like California and Colorado due to the fact that I travel, I have lived in different places and I have an open mind- Y'all have nothing to do with it.

BTW, I check the MLS for Madison every single day and today, I noticed a few price reductions which I had not seen since I moved here-this market is supposed to stay hot mainly due to incredibly low supply but I would not pull the trigger on anything right now if you can wait, there are signs that the market may correct itself slightly in the next 12 months-my target is September of 2023.

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 08-30-2022 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-30-2022, 11:15 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Unhatched eggs? Most of the homes I have seen here so far in Madison lack any kind of style or curb appeal. My first project here will be a style of home renovation that does not even exist in this area yet.

Like Arya Stark said, you don't even stage your homes when you are trying to sell.

I will quote her again-"Also, when I look at real estate ads in New England all the homes are "staged" but in the south? Not so in the south and they don't even seem to do the basics.. like switch out 1980s fixtures for 2022 fixtures"

Any money I will be making off my upcoming projects in this area is 100% my ideas, my effort and my vision- things I learned in places like California and Colorado due to the fact that I travel, I have lived in different places and I have an open mind- Y'all have nothing to do with it.
No, no you don't, you have pretty well proven that in this thread. Here's a hint for you too, the fact that you have traveled and lived in 8 different states really counts for nothing, I've lived in 7 different states (including CA) and it sure doesn't mean I'm smarter than the average bear because of it.

Renovation of homes to a style that doesn't exist yet? Just who will you be selling that to and does it occur to you to consider your market first? I mean will the 'ignorant and uneducated' be able to appreciate your amazing renovation ideas?????

BTW, the fact that you think you are somehow 'forced' to make illegal u-turns because you don't like road design speaks VOLUMES about your mindset.

And darlin' this here yankee has known what a carpetbagger is since she was ten years old, it has to do with that edjamacation thing you keep talking about.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And darlin' this here yankee has known what a carpetbagger is since she was ten years old, it has to do with that edjamacation thing you keep talking about.
This term "carpetbagger" is totally ignorant. I understand the connotation related to opportunistic Northerners that went to the South after the American Civil War and were perceived to be exploiting the local populace for financial, political and social gain(Show me any empirical evidence of that)

It was also used to describe out of state people that were trying to promote Republican politics in the South-I am a Republican and I am very proud of the history of our political party. Lincoln said "Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery-I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally"- If you don't like him or his ideas, join the Democratic Party.

It sounds like people here live in a constant state of fear and paranoia-there is an imaginary boogeyman that is always finding new, slick ways to exploit you and keep you down.

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 08-31-2022 at 12:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area