U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 08:31 AM

470 posts, read 645,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
BTW, I posted a negative review on the website of one of the stores here that have litter and trash all over their parking lot and the District Manager for that company has been notified. If each of you did the same, we will start to see changes here.
Litter and other issues get posted a lot on Huntsville Connect. You can report litter on city property and litter on private property as well as other issues.

Here is the link: https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/residen...ervice-request
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 08:33 AM

470 posts, read 645,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
There is still time to report areas in Huntsville that need to be cleaned up. Maybe it will make the OP think better of Huntsville.
Green Team Cleanup Survey
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/H3XKBWX

Also, I just heard that different parts of Huntsville have had or going to have Neighborhood Cleanup Days. Here is one that I know is coming up:

Holiday Homes Neighborhood Cleanup Day
https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/city-ca...d-cleanup-day/
You can also report litter on city property and litter on private property on Huntsville Connect.

Here is the link: https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/residen...ervice-request

Old 08-29-2022, 08:45 AM

2,299 posts, read 2,864,631 times
Quote:
I can tell you all the things I don't like about living in Denver but cleanliness and lack of pride in ownership is not of them. For a metro area the size of Denver, I would say, it is a very clean city, with one only area that I would consider to be "undesirable" which is Aurora-there are no "ghettos" in Denver.
Having lived in the Denver area for many years, you must really not get around much. Sure, there's parts of Aurora that I wouldn't want to be in but there's also a large part that's nice. Same for Denver.

Quote:
Huntsville has a lot of undesirable areas for a city its size- so much so that when I was working with my relocation consultant, she recommended only three areas of this metro: Madison, Bridge Street and Village of Providence.
You might want to get a new consultant.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Have you been to Aspen, Colorado or Jackson Hole, Wyoming? Do you think people live better in Aspen, Jackson Hole or Huntsville?
Which people are you referring to? How many people who work in Aspen or Jackson Hole live there?

Old 08-29-2022, 09:46 AM

22,276 posts, read 65,588,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Wish I could Rep you on this, perfect response!
Did it for ya (and me)

Old 08-29-2022, 09:55 AM

22,276 posts, read 65,588,423 times
Quote:
It is not my fault that local Government and other officials did not act five years ago knowing that demand for housing in this area was going to increase exponentially.

In Denver right now, home prices are starting to go down, not here. Here they will continue to go up because there was no action taken to increase housing supply- so a lot of this appreciation has to do with low supply.

BTW, I posted a negative review on the website of one of the stores here that have litter and trash all over their parking lot and the District Manager for that company has been notified. If each of you did the same, we will start to see changes here.
Be sure to let us know where you land so that we can make that street especially clean!

We might also celebrate your arrival, a la Toomer's Corner!

Old 08-29-2022, 11:03 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,010,897 times
Quote:
Please don't knock me for saying that people do things very differently in other parts of the country- I moved here from CO and I have traveled extensively- I really like living in this area of so far but the thing that still blows my mind is the total lack of care, maintenance and pride in ownership that you see in many places here.
<snip>
Apparently some folk have a rather low comfort level. Happens in every neighborhood.

It's like this; If the roof leaks and it's raining, they can't fix it. If it ain't raining, ain't no need to fix it.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:05 PM

7,124 posts, read 3,991,978 times
Quote:
Have you been to Aspen, Colorado or Jackson Hole, Wyoming? Do you think people live better in Aspen, Jackson Hole or Huntsville?

Just giving you some crap but demonstrating how this assessment by US News may have holes in it but I don't care- I am buying a property in Madison next year, so if this report can attract new people to this area and drive property prices up, I am all for it

By the way-I went to the Walmart located at 8580 Hwy 72 W, Madison, AL this morning and the parking lot is complete full of trash and litter- the most shocking thing I saw was a bag and a cup from Jacks- I can't even understand the mindset of a person that does that but I am excited about what the future holds for this area.

I am seeing lots of potential to make a lot of profit here in the next 5-10 years so the reason for this thread is not really to trash Alabama- I am just pointing out things about this area that to do not make any logical sense.

I hope constructive criticism can help this place get better and better so that we all benefit and property values continue to go up but yes, I am already fully invested in this community and willing to help it in its pursue of excellence, mediocrity is not even an option.
So.... you're going to drop in to the Huntsville metro, invest in something, make yourself some money and split. Got it. All that, while complaining about trash and low rent neighborhoods and companies that don't clean up their parking lots.

Got news for ya, NOBODY likes criticism from some outsider who is only out for themselves, especially not Alabamians. You don't give a damn about trash or low rent neighborhoods except as it affects you.

PS Your "consultant" is full of crap. There are MANY nice neighborhoods in Huntsville. Far more than your "consultant" thinks.

For the record, I'm from California, and the West in general. The only criticisms I've made about the lovely city of Huntsville are that the current infrastructure does not support rapid growth and that is the danger for this area - THAT is the true Californication of Alabama. But like I've said, we can't control "progress." It's gonna happen and people won't be happy about it.

You think people care about trash when they're worried about keeping a roof over their heads? Because that's what a lot of Huntsville citizens are worried about right now.

But oh... you wanna game the system, make yourself some bucks and screw the people who can't afford better - or any - housing, right?

This is all so, so, as they say, rich.

Don't let the door hit ya on your way out.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:29 PM

21,162 posts, read 6,851,628 times
Quote:
Well, I do not see this area turning Liberal but housing will not be affordable to most people in this area by 2025. I am buying a property in Madison next year with the intent to fix it up and sell it by 2025.

My projection is to be able to sell it for 40% more by 2025- So far I have not seen any signs of prices here going down but I am targeting properties in the 230-250K range. Appreciation has remained constant at about 20% year to year.

If things remain the same, by 2025, I anticipate to be able to sell it for $320-350. At that price range, most people making average wages will not be able to afford a home in Madison.
All there is to say is 'that's nice".

Old 08-29-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Well, I do not see this area turning Liberal but housing will not be affordable to most people in this area by 2025. I am buying a property in Madison next year with the intent to fix it up and sell it by 2025.

My projection is to be able to sell it for 40% more by 2025- So far I have not seen any signs of prices here going down but I am targeting properties in the 230-250K range. Appreciation has remained constant at about 20% year to year.

If things remain the same, by 2025, I anticipate to be able to sell it for $320-350. At that price range, most people making average wages will not be able to afford a home in Madison.
Where are you going to find that property in Madison in the $230K - $250K range? Taking a quick look at valleymls, there are no properties in Madison in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area