U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 10:54 AM

22,284 posts, read 65,603,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
Like I said, there are a lot of things I like about living here so far. I could have taken a job in CA making more there however the culture in most of California right now is total crap- I detest Liberalism and this ungodly, morally decadent culture that is becoming the standard culture in most Western states.

I have a brother in Reno, NV and I tried to convince him to move here- I think in his mind, it does not matter how much I try to explain that this is a good area- in his mind, he still thinks of Alabama as a backwards, undesirable place to move to- so I have been engaged in a constant, almost tireless effort to educate people about this state and having to dispel a lot of myths and misconceptions.

Two days ago, my Mom sent me a link about a story she saw on CNN about a Black man who got arrested for watering the neighbors flowers in some small town called Childersburg- so I did my best to explain to her that it is not something common here, that it could have happened in other places, etc but then I realized that, getting defensive about things like that may not be the best approach.

My Mom is far from being an uneducated person but even to try to explain all the good things I see about living here so far- I am not sure she quite understands it yet- so it is very frustrating.
If you are relating to your mom all of the "good" things about the area that you relate here, I can understand her confusion.

1. You have a brother.

2. You have continued to berate and whinge about the area, the state, the people, the architecture, and anything else you can pile on.

3. You are trying to get your brother to move to the area.

4. Your brother doesn't want to move to be near you.

From these facts, can we now safely conclude that you have a massive hatred towards your brother and want to bring him into an area that you look upon with disdain so that he can suffer as much as you? Or should we instead recognize that your brother hates you and doesn't want to be near you? These might seem extreme possibilities to others, but, hey, you are used to relating things as extremes. Just asking questions. Inquiring minds want to know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 11:22 AM

130 posts, read 81,716 times
Harry: I am returning to the subject. I stand by my assertion that this lawsuit is nonsense.

The style of renovation I am planning to bring to Madison is something new but ultimately, it will set the standards higher for the entire area.

If a person is looking to buy a home, 29 look all the same, no curb appeal or unique style and there is one that stands out- people will be fighting for the one that stands out.

That will force home owners to have to upgrade which in return will translate to millions of dollars in additional equity for home owners in Madison- we are starting a revolution here!

Old 09-04-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Harry: I am returning to the subject. I stand by my assertion that this lawsuit is nonsense.

The style of renovation I am planning to bring to Madison is something new but ultimately, it will set the standards higher for the entire area.

If a person is looking to buy a home, 29 look all the same, no curb appeal or unique style and there is one that stands out- people will be fighting for the one that stands out.

That will force home owners to have to upgrade which in return will translate to millions of dollars in additional equity for home owners in Madison- we are starting a revolution here!
I dunno about that, the Pink Pony has some pretty high standards already.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:49 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,001,607 times
Quote:

Add a fundamental item to the existing list of displayed narcissistic traits: grandiosity.

"Grandiosity is the defining characteristic of narcissism. More than just arrogance or vanity, grandiosity is an unrealistic sense of superiority. Narcissists believe they are unique or “special” and can only be understood by other special people. What's more, they are too good for anything average or ordinary."

Old 09-04-2022, 01:32 PM

10,295 posts, read 6,405,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Nice try d, trying to school a narcissist. Will never happen. I say we tar and feather him and run him out of town.

He's no aero engineer. He's little more than a smarmy speculator/developer.

He has no concept of what it means when people call him a carpetbagger who is swooping in to make a buck off those whom he thinks are hillbillies that are beneath him.
It is very difficult, if not impossible, to be a proper aerospace engineer while at the same time being a legitimate real estate developer/flipper. There are just not enough hours in the day.

Old 09-04-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It is very difficult, if not impossible, to be a proper aerospace engineer while at the same time being a legitimate real estate developer/flipper. There are just not enough hours in the day.
Wrong! I have no kids, no wife, so I am working on average 50 hours a week and running the real estate investment business part time.

I have a coworker who is a Manufacturing Engineer and real estate agent part time- we are very alike in the way we go about business, very driven and ambitious!

Old 09-04-2022, 02:13 PM

50 hours per week, constantly on CD, trips to Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and, while doing those things, on a mission from g*d. uh huh.

Old 09-04-2022, 02:35 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,428,859 times
Quote:
Wrong! I have no kids, no wife,
No surprise here!

Old 09-04-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
50 hours per week, constantly on CD, trips to Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and, while doing those things, on a mission from g*d. uh huh.
I am sorry you have a scarcity mentality and a chip on your shoulder- My parents taught us abundance mentality and fundamentals of investing since we were little kids.

BTW, if anybody is ready to buy a home, 237 High Rd in Madison- I was blessed with a sixth sense and an incredible ability to envision things that the average person would never be able to-that property is a winner.

Old 09-04-2022, 03:42 PM

716 posts, read 966,485 times
Quote:
That style of construction right now is very popular in Denver but with more modern architecture- I can tell that they have done their homework to see what may work here- most people here are not ready for something too modern so they compromised a bit, I call that style of construction something similar to what you see in places like Manhattan Beach, CA or in Napa Valley, CA but watered down for the local audiences- it is definitely Western.

He has been developing in Telluride for 30 years, so these guys know exactly what they are doing- Telluride is a very wealthy community- no flight by night, shady operation would survive in a market like that.

The houses I have seen in Madison so far are mostly unappealing and outdated- so my first project here will bring a new style of renovation which I also have not seen in this area yet.

As I had initially thought- this lawsuit appears to be nothing more than knee jerk reaction to something they don't understand- I am behind projects like this 100% because they bring new architecture and new construction styles to this area.
Regarding the architecture, keep in mind that the Huntsville area has a predominance of what is called "traditional" and in some specific neighborhoods, "Williamsburg". These architectural styles may not be appealing to a twenty something from the mountain west, but it is more appropriate in this area because of the history. The first homes built in Downtown Huntsville were of the Federal style which is the same as the homes which were first built in Virginia (starting in the 1600's) based on the houses which they had left behind in England. The first settlers in Huntsville moved from Virginia, Georgia and the Carolina's. To see the best concentration of this style, you could visit Colonial Williamsburg and the nearby James River plantations.

While the homes were originally in the federal style, later in the 1840's the Greek Revival trend came through the south and many of the homes added columns and covered porches (and looked a little more "showy). The best examples of these homes is in Downtown Huntsville on Franklin St. and Adams St. Randolph and Eustis also have some, too, but have a lot more houses built later, after the Civil War.

Regarding the Summit at Monte Sano, the style of the homes looks more in keeping with what one would see near Telluride, CO, where the developers live, than what is around Huntsville. Therefore, the residents of the adjacent neighborhood may not be so enthusiastic about them. In the Atlanta area, there was a fad in the 1980's of building cedar sided "California Contemporary" homes - they were especially popular in the East Cobbb area near Marietta. Today, those houses sell at a discount because they look out of place and dated.

While you may think that the style of homes seen in the west (whether it is California or Colorado) is superior, this part of the country will always have a predominance of traditional architecture. Brick is used extensively because it has always been easy to make, whereas in the west, you don't see it. To really appreciate this style of homes, visit Andrew Jackson's home, The Hermitage as well as the Belle Meade Plantation house, another Nashville area mansion. People in this area think that those homes are quite spectacular (as well as the more recent Cheekwood Mansion), but techies on the west coast wouldn't be as impressed. Some would bring up the fact that Jackson killed a lot of native Americans and owned slaves - the slave cabins are still on the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area