Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2023, 05:18 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,984,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Is that something you say to a bald man?
Did you read the article? The award was categorized as an Emmy and if it was a MVP, that would have merit. Everyone in the tv news business needs a “shining personality”. If there was an award handed around based on a roster, without any measure of accuracy or even quality, this is it.

He’s a solid meteorologist on the drop-ins when rough weather strikes. It’s not a ding on him but the lack of award “criteria”. Who was runner up?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 08:30 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,183,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
It states he won based on his “shining personality “, which you could put in a resume but it’s subjective and unquantifiable, in a science based field.
It doesn't state that at all.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:24 PM

9,512 posts, read 8,984,978 times
The Emmy Ben received was for his entry “Morning Weathercast with Ben Smith” in the weathercasts category.

“Ben is a great meteorologist, and I’m excited and proud that he has been honored with an Emmy,” she said. “Ben’s personality shines on our morning show each and every day and I know our viewers and everyone at WHNT agree that he deserves this award.”

This is not only a subjective award but not based on his methodology talent but his morning entertainment segment that apparently won over voters.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:28 AM

12,635 posts, read 9,142,776 times
Quote:
The Emmy Ben received was for his entry “Morning Weathercast with Ben Smith” in the weathercasts category.

“Ben is a great meteorologist, and I’m excited and proud that he has been honored with an Emmy,” she said. “Ben’s personality shines on our morning show each and every day and I know our viewers and everyone at WHNT agree that he deserves this award.”

This is not only a subjective award but not based on his methodology talent but his morning entertainment segment that apparently won over voters.
I like Ben. Was surprised he wasn't named Chief Met after the last guy (Jason?) left.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:

The statement you quote is from one of his coworkers, not the Emmy people.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I like Ben. Was surprised he wasn't named Chief Met after the last guy (Jason?) left.
He didn't want the job.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:41 AM

10,951 posts, read 6,698,173 times
And that might be partly because he wants to work mornings instead of afternoons and evenings?

Let's face it folks infotainment, including for weather, is here to stay. It's not going away. Might as well get used to it.

As I recall 6 decades ago, the weather people were at least somewhat entertaining. I'm just glad they're more accurate these days. I've noticed that now I live in a completely different area the weather predictions are more accurate than where i used to live.

Old 02-28-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
He didn't want the job.
Probably a good move on his part. He does a really good job though.

Old 02-28-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
And that might be partly because he wants to work mornings instead of afternoons and evenings?

Let's face it folks infotainment, including for weather, is here to stay. It's not going away. Might as well get used to it.

As I recall 6 decades ago, the weather people were at least somewhat entertaining. I'm just glad they're more accurate these days. I've noticed that now I live in a completely different area the weather predictions are more accurate than where i used to live.
Weather models have improved a lot over the past few years. All the guys on TV have access to the same model outputs that the NWS guys have, then go from there. They've got to be a bit different from TV station to TV station though so they'll have a somewhat unique product. The hardest job they have now is forecasting snow for our area - we're still pretty much in the educated guessing zone here, but even that has improved greatly.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:24 AM

32 posts, read 32,096 times
I always watch Brad Travis and the team at WAFF during bad weather days. They do a live Facebook and YouTube feed, and will stay on for hours. I have seen Brad predict tornado activity by looking at wind shear and other evidence on the radar before the weather service. He seems to know the area well too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area