Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2023, 06:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,572,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Weather models have improved a lot over the past few years. All the guys on TV have access to the same model outputs that the NWS guys have, then go from there. They've got to be a bit different from TV station to TV station though so they'll have a somewhat unique product. The hardest job they have now is forecasting snow for our area - we're still pretty much in the educated guessing zone here, but even that has improved greatly.
Predicting snowfall will always be an educated guess around here. If they predict snow and we don't get it people will complain. If they don't predict show and we get it they will complain even louder. They have found it best to be cautious and always predict snow even when the probability is low. Its better for PR that way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 07:27 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,791,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Predicting snowfall will always be an educated guess around here. If they predict snow and we don't get it people will complain. If they don't predict show and we get it they will complain even louder. They have found it best to be cautious and always predict snow even when the probability is low. Its better for PR that way.
That is one way to look at it. In reality, they simply look at the 3 or so computer models and pick the one that will get the best TV ratings. That will always be the one that gives a chance of snow so people that still watch local news will tune in to see the latest "possible accumulation totals."

Old 12-28-2023, 06:56 PM

23,533 posts, read 69,959,736 times
I guess it was only a matter of time. The channel 19 weathercaster has caught the "You don't need to see when the weather will happen, LOOK AT ME!!!" bug. Nah, you don't really need to see WHEN a weather event will come through on your futurecast, what you need is to see my face and listen to my distracting patter. After all, that should generate more interest in the weather ""forecast"" and give me job security.

I can hear it now: "There is a front supposedly coming through the area that could cause rain during evening hours. Yeah, we are telling you about it. We don't have enough confidence in our model to say anything more than 'It may have some precipitation... ... Squirrel!!'"

Please - find an eighty year old veteran weathercaster who could give a rodent's derrière about anything but trying to give an accurate forecast in a manner that is understandable and not going 95 miles per hour through any event that might occur. I promise to laud the station for its public service if he or she dies on camera.

And now, in other news, "Somebody died somewhere, at some time that we have not confirmed. We have a reporter on the scene to give you the latest details two days after they have happened, so we can say 'we told you two days ago that... and be your news leader!'"

Old 12-28-2023, 08:14 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,513,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I guess it was only a matter of time. The channel 19 weathercaster has caught the "You don't need to see when the weather will happen, LOOK AT ME!!!" bug. Nah, you don't really need to see WHEN a weather event will come through on your futurecast, what you need is to see my face and listen to my distracting patter. After all, that should generate more interest in the weather ""forecast"" and give me job security.

I can hear it now: "There is a front supposedly coming through the area that could cause rain during evening hours. Yeah, we are telling you about it. We don't have enough confidence in our model to say anything more than 'It may have some precipitation... ... Squirrel!!'"

Please - find an eighty year old veteran weathercaster who could give a rodent's derrière about anything but trying to give an accurate forecast in a manner that is understandable and not going 95 miles per hour through any event that might occur. I promise to laud the station for its public service if he or she dies on camera.

And now, in other news, "Somebody died somewhere, at some time that we have not confirmed. We have a reporter on the scene to give you the latest details two days after they have happened, so we can say 'we told you two days ago that... and be your news leader!'"
Cut through the fluff and just watch, 31, 48, even 54.
Although Jessica Camuto @ 19 is an excellent meteorologist.
Any station that calls themselves the “weather authority” shows they are not really legitimate.
What does that even mean? Has nothing to do with weather..
Definition: the power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience.
"he had absolute authority over his subordinates"

Old 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Cut through the fluff and just watch, 31, 48, even 54.
Although Jessica Camuto @ 19 is an excellent meteorologist.
Any station that calls themselves the “weather authority” shows they are not really legitimate.
What does that even mean? Has nothing to do with weather..
Definition: the power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience.
"he had absolute authority over his subordinates"
I feel like a blessed ping pong ball, going from station to station as they stumble and fall (a highly edited version of what I am thinking). I am beginning to wonder if I use the internet and get a station in the northeast or Oregon, if I might see a forecast for this area that shows what is in store. I am so tired of this BS.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:26 PM

10,952 posts, read 6,701,726 times
I found the KOB4 weather app (KOB4 is a channel in Albuquerque) while I was living in New Mexico. I still use it. I've tried them all, KOB4 weather app IMO is the best. To each his own.

I too find the babble on News19 weather reports unlistenable.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:27 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,513,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I feel like a blessed ping pong ball, going from station to station as they stumble and fall (a highly edited version of what I am thinking). I am beginning to wonder if I use the internet and get a station in the northeast or Oregon, if I might see a forecast for this area that shows what is in store. I am so tired of this BS.
Relax, watch Brad , watch a radar app, it’s not that hard.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:56 PM

12,649 posts, read 9,150,926 times
Or, just go to the Huntsville NWS website.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Relax, watch Brad , watch a radar app, it’s not that hard.
A part of me knows that, but another part says "NO! ALL of the local stations could have competent weather segments if they would hold the talent responsible for proper weather reporting rather than ratings." THAT is not that hard. I was in management. In a movie theatre, the cologne a projectionist was wearing when he went to the lobby was less important than changing the reels over properly. First, you demand competence, only then do you go for niceties and accept personal quirks.

The darker side of me wonders why tornadoes have, as of yet, avoided tv station studios.

I may go back to walking outside, looking up at the sky, and taking my chances with my innate sense of what might happen. Maybe I need to do my own forecast?

Old 01-12-2024, 10:55 AM

Anyone else old enough to remember when television marketing hadn't yet discovered weather forecasts?

"First Alert Weather Day!" "First Alert from US!" "First poopie on your weekend plans alert!"

That seems to be about as much hyperbole and scare tactics as they can get away with - (We all know what happened when one local forecaster spun out of control and declared his own tornado, stepping on the toes of the NWS.)

"Be sure to bring in your pets." "Tie down your loose furniture." "Look for things that can blow around in wind." (Wondering if that last was self-referential?)

After the hoopla about today's storm, I have to remember the sum total of meema's weather alert for such a day: "Be sure to wear your galoshes (rain boots) so you don't track cow crap inside!" Now THAT was advice best heeded.

I'm mildly surprised that this wasn't declared a "First alert wear your football helmet outside day."

I wonder what the local ratings would be if the person who declared a first alert day was required to be tied to a pole outside the tv station to report live on actual conditions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area