Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2023, 04:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.

Seems like there's a move afoot to refurbish and save the Saturn-IB at the I-65 welcome center just south of the Alabama/Tennessee state line. That's a good thing in my opinion and I hope the fundraisers are successful: https://www.al.com/news/2023/03/10-m...ions-loom.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 05:47 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.

Seems like there's a move afoot to refurbish and save the Saturn-IB at the I-65 welcome center just south of the Alabama/Tennessee state line. That's a good thing in my opinion and I hope the fundraisers are successful: https://www.al.com/news/2023/03/10-m...ions-loom.html
They said on the news that it would take millions to retrofit or repair the rocket. Couldn’t a mock rocket be created that is less expensive and stronger and more durable?

We really don’t want NASA to begin what fire departments often do in big cities. They claim they are shutting a station down and the protests come out to save the station with fundraising. If NASA doesn’t want to spend the money to repair the rocket and donations stream in, then the leverage is with NASA.

Similar event happened during Covid where they were closing part of the museum due to money problems but then magically donations poured in to “save the museum.”

Remember that NASA is funded by taxpayers…
https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/propose...flight-center/

Old 03-16-2023, 06:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
They said on the news that it would take millions to retrofit or repair the rocket. Couldn’t a mock rocket be created that is less expensive and stronger and more durable?

We really don’t want NASA to begin what fire departments often do in big cities. They claim they are shutting a station down and the protests come out to save the station with fundraising. If NASA doesn’t want to spend the money to repair the rocket and donations stream in, then the leverage is with NASA.

Similar event happened during Covid where they were closing part of the museum due to money problems but then magically donations poured in to “save the museum.” Things were so bad that they couldn't afford a US flag for the pole out front.

Remember that NASA is funded by taxpayers…
https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/propose...flight-center/
I'm not sure I see your points. This a private fund-raising effort, not expenditure of government funds. I understand NASA not funding repairs/refurbishment, but private efforts should be fine. The only hitch I see is if they don't raise the needed amount, do they refund contributions.

And the US S&RC was seeing no attendance because of Covid, and museums were not eligible for Covid "relief" funding, at least for the first round, so they were truly in financial straits. Funds were raised by the public and contractor companies that essentially saved the iconic museum.

Old 03-17-2023, 04:51 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'm not sure I see your points. This a private fund-raising effort, not expenditure of government funds. I understand NASA not funding repairs/refurbishment, but private efforts should be fine. The only hitch I see is if they don't raise the needed amount, do they refund contributions.

And the US S&RC was seeing no attendance because of Covid, and museums were not eligible for Covid "relief" funding, at least for the first round, so they were truly in financial straits. Funds were raised by the public and contractor companies that essentially saved the iconic museum.
To clarify the rocket at the rest area comments, NASA was originally going to spend public dollars to either restore or remove the rocket. NASA publicly said they were not restoring the rocket due to high costs and would then dismantle and move the rocket, at expense to NASA (public dollars). Then press releases publicly highlighted they were not repairing and we’re going to dismantle. Basically the news releases were “we don’t have the funds to restore; it will be expensive….”.

Yes, it will be privately funded but this is now twice where NASA makes decisions with the public dollars (to not repair) yet makes big public press releases to garner sympathy to save the rocket. In the closed door discussions, the likely path of getting private funding for this had to be discussed as a probable option. Call it a win for the rocket but in future budget options, there will be the route of not publicly funding because we can just appeal to private sympathizers.

The issue is deliberately creating press releases and making their decisions to not repair public with the hope of not having to use public funding to dismantle and remove. Now those same public funds will still be spent; but on some discretionary project that was previously unfunded. Understandably, some might appreciate the public NASA employees being crafty.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:00 AM

537 posts, read 445,568 times
The Space and Rocket Center has the rocket on loan, and once the pieces are on the ground it's the responsibility of NASA to dispose and recycle the materials in the rocket. It's actually a very dangerous thing, and repairs would be virtually impossible.

They're talking about putting up scaffolding and a huge crane. Then cutting it will be by water jet.

Expect it to happen before June 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: