U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:17 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,762,109 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are seriously considering relocating to Huntsville within the next year.

I was wondering if anyone could offer me an idea of what I should expect to pay for daycare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 PM

122 posts, read 237,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
Hi, my wife and I are seriously considering relocating to Huntsville within the next year.

I was wondering if anyone could offer me an idea of what I should expect to pay for daycare?
It depends greatly on what kind of daycare you want.

PreSchool, inhome or church / mother's day out?

We have our kids at Premier Preschool in Research Park. It is one of the more expensive preschools in the area, but it has a very good team of teachers and wonderful location. We have absolutely loved it and have been there for over 5 years. The price drops as the child:teacher ratio goes up, so infants are more expensive than 4/5 year olds. At Premier it can range from about 650 to 800 a month per child.

Inhome and church / mdo programs are typically much less expensive.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks very much! We'd probably do something like premier. We have our 15 month old daughter in one of the more expensive daycares in our area and we pay a little over $1300 / mo. $800 would have me grinning ear to ear.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:24 AM

138 posts, read 452,374 times
I'm so glad mine passed this stage several years back. I thought the year I spent $11,000 on daycare for 2 was bad ---- then I see you guys talking about $9,000 to 15,000 per year for 1. wow !

Of course you just trade in one cost for another as they grow.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM

280 posts, read 457,164 times
My youngest just finished his last year of daycare/preschool - kindergarten in the fall...YEAH! We were paying $180 per week. I think the infant cost per week was just over $200. I believe these to be about average tuition rates in this area. Of course the rates at the church facilities are quite a bit lower. We tried to get into Mayfair, but the waiting list was too long. The rates there were quite a bit lower and used the same curriculum as the school we went to. It will depend on where you work and/or live, but there are a lot of good options.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Thanks so much everyone. Paying anything less than the $300+ / week we're paying now will be nothing short of beautiful.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:34 PM

602 posts, read 1,342,439 times
I had a boss in HSV whose daughter attended Covenant Christian preschool, for (I believe she said) $400-425 monthly. We all oohed and aahed about how expensive that was, but here in Albany, my son's former K5 Montessori program was a little over $500/mo. IIRC, Covenant is a pretty good school, has an extended day program, etc. It's on Old Madison Pike, just east of Research Park Blvd. The costs may have gone up since I last checked.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:01 PM

I've heard really good things about Montessori.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:01 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
My understanding is the Montessori over near Grissom High School is so full there is a waiting list. There doesn't seem to be too much choice in secular pre-schools. Montessori is one of the only games in town - or at least in the south-southeast section of town. Not sure about Madison. There are two Montesorri's in the south side and something called Primrose.

Search the threads, we've had several threads on preschools in the past couple of months.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:08 PM

602 posts, read 1,342,439 times
Quote:
We had heard good things as well. Keep in mind I'm not referring to any Montessori in Huntsville; this is Albany, a steaming pile of suck. My son's teachers were horrid. We began homeschooling in January; he was reading by April. He is now doing math, reading and writing, learning Mandarin, science and geography, and he will be 6 in November.

I can't vouch personally for any of the preschools in Huntsville or Madison. Just passing along what I've been told--that Covenant was reputed to be very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area