U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:54 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,483,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
I am back here in the Atlanta area trying to sell this house. ...

THE PROBLEM AS YOU STATE IS NO LOOKERS OR BUYERS. ....

It is very discouraging. .....

Don't know what else to do.

I feel desperate ...

This desperate?

Homeowner offers house and her 'love' for sale - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/06/27/heart.for.sale.ap/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 09:24 PM

433 posts, read 1,095,123 times
I'm thinking buyers out there are just like me-they are waiting for their house to sell before buying a new one. I would just love to be able to ask these people who are looking at the house online what their situation is. Wouldn't that be great? Since yesterday afternoon I have had 9 flyers taken out of the box outside. I'd like to know what those people are thinking too. Oh, well I can't keep trying to guess. I just have to wait it out. I'm thinking positively for the weekend! Lets hope and pray someone comes in!

Old 06-28-2008, 04:31 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,781,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This desperate?

Homeowner offers house and her 'love' for sale - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/06/27/heart.for.sale.ap/index.html - broken link)
Too funny.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Look at the bright side: You'll sell at the bottom and you'll buy at the bottom. Sellers in Huntsville aren't getting too many nibbles either. They will have to bargain too. Though I just read on some realtor's blog that the sale/asking price ratio is around 97%.
the problem is that if you buy new construction, there is an already inflated price due to builders anticipating the "wave of BRAC/MDA" relocators. I think you might get a very very good deal in the pre-existing homes like the ones in Chapel Hill that have been sitting for months as well. However, if they are just checking the waters, they won't sell too low either. For some reason, Hville/Madison hasn't seen the negatives like FL/GA/CA/CO/parts of NoVA (fortunately not our area). And we did wait till we sold before we bought. There was no way I'd move if that townhouse were still on the market.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:58 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,487,329 times
With the economy like it is and the real estate market tanking, I agree, we would never consider buying before selling or a bridge loan. These are not normal times in real estate. I do agree that the Huntsville area has not been impacted as much as the rest of the country. This is a little scary and I just hope we can get a somewhat good deal there when we are able. We are losing alot of equity when we sell and it would be nice to think we can make it up but there is no guarantee and I understand that interest rates are going up! I just try not to think about it. I do not see how builders can ask and get what they want even with all the movement to the area. There has to be some impact and deflation in house prices because of what is happening in the rest of the country. Our realtor tells us that there are builders in trouble and are willing to give deals. But who knows when we will be able to even get serious with looking there? I am just trying to narrow where I want to live. One problem, I need TREES!!!! When we lived in Wisconsin it was ok because we were on the prarie, but I am a birder and gardener and if I am going to live in the south again, I want trees. Very few houses with yards and trees. Those old cotton fields are now subdivisions and people don't plant trees quickly or the developmer just mows them down. Very discouraging. Looked at some houses that do have trees and they are very old and need major updating. Well, I just look forward to the day I can actually be a serious buyer in HUntsville!

Old 06-28-2008, 07:00 AM

26,362 posts, read 53,483,167 times
Quote:
With the economy like it is and the real estate market tanking, I agree, we would never consider buying before selling or a bridge loan. These are not normal times in real estate. I do agree that the Huntsville area has not been impacted as much as the rest of the country. This is a little scary and I just hope we can get a somewhat good deal there when we are able. We are losing alot of equity when we sell and it would be nice to think we can make it up but there is no guarantee and I understand that interest rates are going up! I just try not to think about it. I do not see how builders can ask and get what they want even with all the movement to the area. There has to be some impact and deflation in house prices because of what is happening in the rest of the country. Our realtor tells us that there are builders in trouble and are willing to give deals. But who knows when we will be able to even get serious with looking there? I am just trying to narrow where I want to live. One problem, I need TREES!!!! When we lived in Wisconsin it was ok because we were on the prarie, but I am a birder and gardener and if I am going to live in the south again, I want trees. Very few houses with yards and trees. Those old cotton fields are now subdivisions and people don't plant trees quickly or the developmer just mows them down. Very discouraging. Looked at some houses that do have trees and they are very old and need major updating. Well, I just look forward to the day I can actually be a serious buyer in HUntsville!
The farther out you go the cheaper housing will get (or fall). This is a big reason why:

Envisioning a world of $200-a-barrel oil - Los Angeles Times

(if you need a login or password use Bugmenot.com - login with these free web passwords to bypass compulsory registration)

Old 07-06-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I think you can get a great deal on a spec house here that the builder is paying to heat/cool/water lawns. Several builders have empty houses and they are willing to make a deal. We don't have a lot of trees in our subdivision, but they fringe our community. Also it does have some hills and doesn't feel like we're just a house plopped in a field where everyone can see you from the main artery (County Line Road has a lot of new subdivisions in pastures).

Southeast Hville has more trees, but you have to go up the mountains to get them and those houses sell fast due to the schools. Grissom is highly desirable for a lot of people. Hampton Cove has trees too and looks lovely.

Good luck selling your house. We feel incredibly fortunate that we managed to get our house sold quickly.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,487,329 times
Thanks, clglover !
We have just lowered our house price to 10,000 less than it was appraised for at this moment in this market. Hopefully, someone will see they are getting a deal on a less than 2 year old house in tip top shape with all the upgrades and landscaping done.
We use to live in Madison, AL and I just wish I had my old house back. I may end up on the mountain to just have trees or perhaps in the Edgewater area . I think there are trees there. We will see when the time comes. Our real estate agents are very knowledgeable and helpful so I am confidant we will do ok.
You will like the Huntsville area. Take your kids to Three Caves and also the cave with the largest opening in the US is great to see - Cathedral Caves. That is a great day outing for summer. Burrite on the Mountain is very interesting and I love the Botanical Gardens and activities for kids during the summer. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:01 PM

4,994 posts, read 10,478,042 times
Quote:
...One problem, I need TREES!!!! When we lived in Wisconsin it was ok because we were on the prairie, but I am a birder and gardener and if I am going to live in the south again, I want trees...
Try Decatur...we have trees, and lower prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area