Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:36 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,584,860 times

Advertisements

Oh great Charles--a married engineer with the 7 year itch in his 40s would be such a catch LOL. But seriously, a single person here probably won't have as much fun as if she/he were in different metro. This is a great place to raise a family, but I wouldn't want my daughter to roost here after she finished college. There's just not much for young people to do here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:07 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just think about all the hot male engineers in Huntsville....(every one of these guys reminds me of my dad....and everyone knows, we all end up turning into our dads....)

(images not protected by copyright)

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=310&size=550x550_mb&ptp_phot o_id=338005 (broken link)http://www.barometerbobshow.com/images/JulioRipoll.jpg (broken link)

Oh Charles! I'd rep ya more if I could!! This made me laugh! I think over 40 singles is hard anywhere if you ask me. By that age, many men consider you over the hill (they can always get the hot 20 year old sex machines) or damaged goods. Right now I'm not interested in dating in the least. All I seem to want is my little house with a garden. Working towards that is my focus, but I do want to build a friend base and I don't want to totally dismiss dating in the future. So now...it's sounding like my HSV trip might be a waste of time and a complete wash. Oh well.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,584,860 times
No--I wouldn't give up yet Cobolt. There is a theater community here -- lots of community theater and a network for that as well. I believe you will find connections here. And the botanical gardens is another place you might be able to plug into as well. They have a huge volunteer base.

I just wouldn't come here looking for love--but then if love finds you, it will find you wherever you are--aren't I cheesy

Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Check out meetup.com to see if there are any groups in H'ville you might be interested in joining.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglover View Post
No--I wouldn't give up yet Cobolt. There is a theater community here -- lots of community theater and a network for that as well. I believe you will find connections here. And the botanical gardens is another place you might be able to plug into as well. They have a huge volunteer base.

I just wouldn't come here looking for love--but then if love finds you, it will find you wherever you are--aren't I cheesy
Oh hon, thanks for being so supportive. I'm not looking for love. Believe me. Been burned too hard to think that way right now. But....I will say that a place that is more singles friendly (and I don't mean in a bar, college way) is usually easier to make friends. It is very difficult to make friends in W WA because the 10 months of rain and clouds makes people very insular and when the weather is nice, they are doing things on their own...sort of like hogging the time with the sun. I've tried the social meetups and volunteering here to no avail. I may add that I've never had a problem making a good social base anywhere I lived until I moved here. The best and most friends I ever made was while living in Tx. I really believe the weather has alot to do with it (that and alot of self-absorbed CA transplants). So you see, going somewhere where I'll be career satisfied, able to own a home, and build friendships are tops on my list of criteria (that and some sunshine). Anyway...I'll know more after my trip. I appreciate the feedback, info, and support.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
By the way all engineers don't look like the pictures above especially in Huntsville where at least half of the people here don't do real engineering work.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:39 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,214 times
Uh, just curious, Charles......Is one of those pictures a self portrait????? LOL.

There are some geeky, technical types here for sure. Really, there are all types here. HSV_Secede is being snippy with that remark about "real engineering work". That's not my experience at all. I know lots of "real" engineers who are very talented and work hard here.

TeeHee--if all of the above hasn't scared everyone off by now, I just noticed this article on MSN that should finish the job (A Guide to Loving Southern Men)
http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?articleid=9425&TrackingID=516311&Bann erID=544657&menuid=6&GT1=26000 (broken link)

Last edited by gsp4ever; 07-22-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
Uh, just curious, Charles......Is one of those pictures a self portrait????? LOL.

There are some geeky, technical types here for sure. Really, there are all types here. HSV_Secede is being snippy with that remark about "real engineering work". That's not my experience at all. I know lots of "real" engineers who are very talented and work hard here.

TeeHee--if all of the above hasn't scared everyone off by now, I just noticed this article on MSN that should finish the job (A Guide to Loving Southern Men)
MSN Dating and Personals (http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?articleid=9425&TrackingID=516311&Bann erID=544657&menuid=6&GT1=26000 - broken link)
I've dated Southern men before so no surprises. I will say that the Mama thing is not particular to Southern men and an attribute that sends up my radar. Had my share of Mama's boys. And when they start callin you "mama" and you don't have kids...run for the hills

Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,214 times
Cobolt--I just about fell out of my chair laughing about that Mama comment. Those MSN articles are so silly, I swear I don't know why I let them catch my eye when I'm checking my email.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:34 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post

No I'm not I know plenty of real engineers that work hard here too I also know plenty of people here who have the title of engineer that hardly work and/or do nothing at work related to engineering or software development. All I'm saying is some of the jobs here aren't as technically involved as some people think especially the government ones they have more to do with contract management, systems engineering management and usually engineers that are really geeky and technical are the ones that tend to look like the guys in those pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area