U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 AM

80 posts, read 188,837 times
Default Atlanta or Huntsville for single lady over 40

I keep hearing that the quality of life is better in Huntsville, I have potentially two job offers one is in Atlanta and one is in Huntsville.
We all know tha Atlanta has its share of problems, crime, higher cost of living, traffic and just plain finding places there is like finding a needle in a haystack without the GPS. But there are so many things to do in Atl. and the male population is a bit better than Huntsville's. However, surprisingly, on an Atlanta forum some folk said they would rather live in Huntsville, hands down. I would like to know what the people in Huntsville think. keep in mind that I am a single Black lady over 40. Before you ask, yes I have visited Huntsville. I enjoyed it. But I saw many married couples. Please give your opinions. Is the quality of life better in HSV? If so what, in your opinion, does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:10 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,572,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoriexxx View Post
I keep hearing that the quality of life is better in Huntsville, I have potentially two job offers one is in Atlanta and one is in Huntsville.
We all know tha Atlanta has its share of problems, crime, higher cost of living, traffic and just plain finding places there is like finding a needle in a haystack without the GPS. But there are so many things to do in Atl. and the male population is a bit better than Huntsville's. However, surprisingly, on an Atlanta forum some folk said they would rather live in Huntsville, hands down. I would like to know what the people in Huntsville think. keep in mind that I am a single Black lady over 40. Before you ask, yes I have visited Huntsville. I enjoyed it. But I saw many married couples. Please give your opinions. Is the quality of life better in HSV? If so what, in your opinion, does that mean?
I'm wondering the same thing, so it will be interesting to read the responses. Many places that are "great places to raise a family/kids" are usually not very attractive to singles. Of course, I'm not into the bar scene or anything and I like a quiet life, but I like to be able to meet people and build a network of friends, outside of a place of worship. For instance, volunteering at playhouses/opera/theatre venues gets you free admission and you meet people who also like to frequent those establishments. I don't want my friendships to center around religion as that is a personal and private issue for me.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:32 AM

568 posts, read 1,167,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoriexxx View Post
What do you mean the male population of Atlanta is a bit better than Huntsville's? If anything Atlanta has a higher female to male ratio than Huntsville especially among African Americans. There are tons of black women professionals in Atlanta not so much in Huntsville. You will find that Atlanta is culturally light years ahead of Huntsville in fact there isn't much culture in Huntsville at all. Atlanta has its share of problems if they are problems you can deal with than Atlanta is a much more enjoyable place to live IMO. But keep in mind they are serious problems horrible traffic (a lot worse than they should be for Atlanta's size due to how much the Atlanta metro area sprawl), crime, higher cost of living. Huntsville is a cool town though but if you are really into culture, night life, and a ton of things to do its not for you. Most people who move to Huntsville choose it to raise a family so thats the best thing it has going for it the quality of life and low cost of living as well as a ton of engineering jobs. What field are you in?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,816,354 times
I would rate this more of a family city than a singles place by what I have experienced here.

JMO

Old 07-21-2008, 06:45 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,199,434 times
We get the same type questions "Colorado Springs versus Denver"; OR Southern California versus middle America. If you can rent and live near your job then Southern California is great for single people. Similarly, Denver is more exciting than Colorado Springs and I'd bet Atlanta more than Huntsville.

If it were me and I was to rent, I'd probably chose the more exciting city of Atlanta: clubs, chicks, parties, singles activities, bands, groups, outings, etc.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 PM

1,645 posts, read 2,816,354 times
Ah, those were the days... oh except for me it was not "chicks" but "hotties" in briefs haha... single in Hotlanta cool! Single and in Hville? Not great... any singletons out there with an idea for our OP

Old 07-21-2008, 08:27 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,260,361 times
I probably would have hated Huntsville when I was 25 and single. I think at 40, it would be even worse, the dating pool for that age group here would be slim and not very interesting I imagine. That being said, I really enjoy Huntsville for this stage in my life.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:36 PM

568 posts, read 1,167,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I probably would have hated Huntsville when I was 25 and single. I think at 40, it would be even worse, the dating pool for that age group here would be slim and not very interesting I imagine. That being said, I really enjoy Huntsville for this stage in my life.
Well I moved to Huntsville when I was single and 23, I just think its hard for single people to meet here period especially if you are guy since this town is full of male engineers but if you are a female its still going to be difficult because there aren't really any classy places to go out to meet singles. Its slowly improving with places like BrigeStreet and Constellation downtown if it ever gets built downtown would probably greatly improve it too. I think rnc is right though I imagine most people in their 40's here are married though.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 PM

Just think about all the hot male engineers in Huntsville....(every one of these guys reminds me of my dad....and everyone knows, we all end up turning into our dads....)

(images not protected by copyright)

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=310&size=550x550_mb&ptp_phot o_id=338005 (broken link)http://www.barometerbobshow.com/images/JulioRipoll.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I imagine most people in their 40's here are married though.
Isn't that about the time when they get the seven year itch? (I got the seven year itch about six years and 11 months early....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area