U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 PM

79 posts, read 216,078 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how cold does your winters get up there? Does it snow? We are coming from Florida so we really don't get a winter just really cools down for a few months and there might be a week or two or more that you really have to run the heat and put on sweats and jackets. So, I am wondering if we do move there what are we in for as far as winters go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:20 PM

454 posts, read 527,542 times
It can get relatively cold. Minimal snow. The most we pretty much would ever get is about an inch. It only snowed a few days last year. On average, the lowest temps get somewhere in the upper 20's, lower 30's for highs. Past couple of years, it hasn't gotten that cold consistently until about December, then it's over in February. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:35 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,330,186 times
Historical Climate Summaries for Alabama | Welcome - Southeast Regional Climate Center

Old 08-03-2008, 11:47 PM

603 posts, read 1,228,912 times
Coming from Florida, you will find Alabama winters to be brutal. It is much, much colder in North Al than Florida in the winter.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:09 AM

250 posts, read 360,773 times
March 1993, I remember being on the last plane out of Huntsville before the airport was closed. I believe Huntsville received seven inches of snow.

Marc

Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 AM

13,566 posts, read 23,058,481 times
We had 2 days last year of light snow, just barely covering the ground where I live. The year before we had maybe a 1/2" one day. I agree the coldest time is from Dec to March. It gets cold at night but warms up during the day to the 40s. Of course, that isn't to say it can't get colder or have more snow which does happen every so often. Most businesses/schools close if there is ice on the roads
It less humid up here to me it isn't as bad as the cold in FL.

I think tornadoes are probably more troubling than the cold to most newcomers. Whenever there is even the slightest possibility of a tornado they start broadcasting live on TV. Think hurricane coverage in FL.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM

122 posts, read 237,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
March 1993, I remember being on the last plane out of Huntsville before the airport was closed. I believe Huntsville received seven inches of snow.

Marc
I remember that well...North Alabama actually missed the brunt of that storm as it went SOUTH of Huntsville. I was living in central Alabama at the time and we got 18 inches of snow. It was insane. It shut down the state for about 3 days.

That was the last significant snow that I can remember anywhere in the state. Since then it has been a half inch here or an inch there. I did move out of state for a few years in the 1990s, so maybe there was something back then.

I moved to Huntsville in 2001 and I honestly can't remember a single snow event with more than an inch of snow involved (and it was gone by 9AM).

Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,820,257 times
Coming from a warm climate myself, I found it to be surprisingly cold, but still tolerable. It rarely drops below the 30's for long in terms of daytime temps. I actually enjoyed being able to wear winter clothes, and my kids enjoyed the snow flurries.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 AM

46 posts, read 102,768 times
I moved up here from Mobile, AL area almost 2 years ago in Nov. of 06. I thought I was going to freeze to death. I also got the worst cold! (I suggest a flu shot for anyone moving to a new climate!) I remember a little tiny bit of snow, enough to dust the tops of cars. It was harsh and all the trees looked like stick men. The country side looked drab, all brown and grays. I think the lowest temperature it ever got was mid-20's. That was usually at night. During the day it would warm up to about the mid-50's, but the sun was almost always out and no cloud cover, so it felt warmer. By Spring it was beautiful and I was glad I moved here!

Last year I saw my first real snow here, though it snowed several days and only about an hour and lasted about an hour at that....it was beautiful. I think last year was also the coldest, reaching single digits with a wind chill in the negative.

It does get cold here,it starts cooling off about mid-October, then we get the chilly rains around the end of October until Thanksgiving. I used to time the winter rains with the coming of Halloween and the Peanut Festival in Southeast, AL. It will usually stay cold here, until about mid-March to late April, then it varies. I think the average temperature is usually the 50's in the winter. And the winter lasts about 5 months probably. With 2 or 3 of those months being colder temperatures in the 30's.
As someone posted above it is pretty dry air here. It's not nearly as humid as South AL, or Florida. The winter is mostly wet. (IMO) Usually rainy with sleet. Slushy even.

Here was the snow we got at the end of winter this year that actually stuck for more than an hour. Still not enough to amount to anything.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 AM

433 posts, read 1,129,922 times
When you say it gets into the 20s and 30s does the temp. stay there the whole day? In Savannah we would have temps. in the 30s in the mornings but would get back up to 60s in the afternoon even in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area