U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:49 PM

45 posts, read 166,524 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Keeper! Sounds pretty nice. I do hate the season of no green being so into gardening ... but it makes Spring VERY VERY much appreciated so it is worth it. When does gardening officially end down there as far as the blooms freezing? And when do the daffodils come up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 03:58 PM

426 posts, read 835,485 times
I would say that the first frost generally comes sometime in November. Seems variable though. The first year I lived here my petunias bloomed until December. Daffodils seem to bloom in early/mid March IIRC. Some years I am able to over winter caladiums outside (in pots), though not every year. I don't intend to do this, I just leave the pots outside I usually plant annuals around May 1, though neighbors will plant in April.

I do wear a coat (and gloves) in the Winter. Especially in January and February. There will be warm days mixed with cold days. Lots of sun, generally. Don't know were you are from, but to me it is not as cold "down here" as it is in, say Roanoke or Charlottesville. As for snow, if you look at the weather service stats, we technically get it, though there is rarely accumulation that is more than a dusting of snow. You'll see it in the early morning hours but it would typically be gone by 8 am or so. The ground is pretty warm, even through the winter.

We are in a multi-year drought right now, so the weather is a little bit wacky. Or maybe this will be the "new normal" if you believe in global warming. Who knows.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:10 PM

1,645 posts, read 2,869,263 times
I was told that if you plant tulips here, you have to bring up the bulbs after they bloom or the bulbs will rot due to the long, hot summer.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,253,540 times
Anyone have any experience overseeding a bermuda lawn with fescue seeds? My lawn is bermuda. My neighbor has bermuda too but he aerates it around October and overseeds it with fescue for the purposes of getting a green lawn in winter as the bermuda goes dormant. Anyone else try this?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:23 PM

We're in Charlottesville and although we have 40's and sometimes 50's during the days in winter, the nights are in the 20's. Sounds nice on frost in Nov. We don't get snow unless it's an inch and it's gone by afternoon. BUT! We have 6 mo. w/o leaves on the trees and that's too boring for me. :-) Our garden time is April - October, so sounds like you've got an extra mo. on each end which is really nice.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:48 PM

You may miss the fall color. Some years we don't have much color at all. Seems like the fall color (if it does come) will arrive in November. So, we'll generally have leaves until then.

Spring definitely comes earlier here. Fall will be later too. Maybe a month like you're saying. Could be more depending on the year but would rarely be less. It is quite common for it to be very warm (even hot) on Halloween, if that gives you any idea. I actually miss the "chill" in the air and it's funny to see the kids sweating in their costumes.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:54 PM

The Fall colors have been gorgeous here and we're not far from the Blue Ridge Pkwy for a real showing! But we could always head north into TN right? The warmer weather is what is needed so I'll give up the Fall colors which are best with maples. A fair trade-off :-)

Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 PM

Now, you can have maples here, for sure. So, there is color but some years not as much. Just not like what you'll find in the Appalachian Mountain areas of TN, NC and VA. More of a "guarantee" in those areas for some color. Yeah, you could take a weekend trip for color but you may even have it here.

I noticed that you lived in Montgomery for a while. I think our Fall is not as hot as Montgomery and you'll still have cooler nights and mornings. For example, last night we slept with the windows open, very nice for mid-August--but it isn't always like this. Montgomery can be miserable, even late into Sept. in my experience.

You know, I should probably mention that the alternating and coliding of the hot and cold of the airmasses from the Gulf and the Plains is why we have the severe weather (code for tornado) that we have here in the Spring and Fall. Though I think the more Southern parts of AL are a little bit more prone to this type of weather than we are.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:12 PM

Yes, Montg area was too hot -- it just never cooled off, which is why I was checking so intently on Huntsville. Don't really wanna go back to that kind of heat day and night. Nice to know about the Maples. Very nice!

I lived in Okla. City for 4 years and have family there (hubby's side) so tornadoes are familiar -- not an issue. Thanks for mentioning though.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,253,540 times
Anybody know anything about that little cemetery on the south side of University just before transitioning to southbound Research Parkway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area