U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:29 AM

13,565 posts, read 23,058,481 times

Advertisements

The show focused on Sand Mountain which is around Albertville, but meth is a problem all over N. AL. Since that show Marshall county has setup a meth task force.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,956 times
This is for the people that think that this meth problem is everywhere,I have been in marshall county my whole life,I was raised in Arab.I am now 33 years old and I have been addicted to METH sinceI was 14.It has always been a problem except for back then it was all hush hush.Not only was I a bad apple but I ran with the worst kinda people anywhere.And people don't think it because arab is such a quiet and small little town.I watched the A&E special about meth mountain.Some of what was said is true,when Dr.Holley said that your mind does get better if you stay clean,That's not true ,i have been on meth most of my life and almost died from it,I was clean for 4 YEARS and backslide.I am now dealing with an ADDICTION TO THE DEVIL'S POISON as write this.I will always have t live my life on medication,just so i can think clear and maybe act like a small part of my old self again.Although i know that i can never truely be who i once was,the part about not having those connctions in your brain that let you say no is true , once you've had a taste of the DEVIL'S BREW you can never say NO to it again.If they would get rid of the southern boy values the cops live by and get some clean cops here maybe it would have stopped a long time ago,it's too late meth has already taken over.you can't walk out the door without your nieghbor being on it too.I have 3 beautiful teenagers and I pray daily that they can resist the devil may they never dance in the devil's playground.I pray for them too lead a good normal life.And for those people that are thinking about moving here PLEASE RETHINK that decision.BE WARNED the scenery is beautiful but the METH OR THE DEVIL's POISON took over a long time ago.tahnk you for reading this I hope it makes you think about your life and everything you stand to lose when you ENTER THE DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 PM

1,764 posts, read 4,605,573 times
yes. they did indicate paranoia is a problem with users.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,715 times
I was in the Scottsboro area back in 06. What I felt was pure evil when I rode through there. Have you ever just had a gut feeling that something wasnt right? Then just recently I saw the A and E program about Meth moutain. Scottsboro is right in that area.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 PM

852 posts, read 1,903,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Aaaaahhhhh. Sand Mountain. Home of meth labs, chop shops, bluegrass fiddle players, and snake handlers. Lots of UFO sightings there, too. It sure is an interesting place.
Here is a great read if you are into Sand Mountain snake handling:
Salvation on Sand Mountain: Snake-Handling and Redemption in Southern Appalachia
Amazon.com: Salvation on Sand Mountain: Snake-Handling and Redemption in Southern Appalachia: Dennis Covington: Books
Read it recently and it is pretty wild. Even comes with pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Meth Mountain!?!-snake.jpg  

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,820,257 times
We have done some service projects for the CARE Center in Owens Cross Roads and I know they have said that meth is a substantial problem in the community they serve as well.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:31 PM

24 posts, read 57,897 times
I was really astonished to find that the Meth epidemic actually began on the W Coast in the Seattle/Portland region. It devastated families and stretched law enforcement to the limits trying to keep it somewhat under control. It has spread across the United States like a dusty plague. It just happens that wherever a very large population of illegal immigrants reside there is also a very large possibility for a thriving drug industry. Having friends and family all over the nation (not just in the SE), they've informed me Meth is a problem everywhere.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM

Default Not really a great read

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
Here is a great read if you are into Sand Mountain snake handling:
Salvation on Sand Mountain: Snake-Handling and Redemption in Southern Appalachia
Amazon.com: Salvation on Sand Mountain: Snake-Handling and Redemption in Southern Appalachia: Dennis Covington: Books
Read it recently and it is pretty wild. Even comes with pictures.
I've read the book and have known the people. It's a very poor representation of these people and just continues the type-casting of rural Alabamians. A shame that it couldn't have been done better. He certainly had the subject matter to work with, but I think it falls very short of "great."

Old 01-22-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Precisely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
my general opinion of shows like this:

if you go looking for the worst in society with a camera and time on your hands, you will find it.....
And, as we know, these shows target America's insatiable appetite for trash. It's an addiction in itself. Reckon they'll ever have an A&E special on that? And that, my friends, is why I do not have television anymore.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,066 times
Default Common Problem

I agree with MtGirl -- drugs are a problem everywhere -- rich neighborhoods or poor, North or South. Farmers in the mid-west have to lock, fence and guard their fertilizer b/c its useful in producing crystal meth. Also, look at Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole-Smith, etc. -- all rich, all died in "nice" even fabulous locations due to drug use. I used to direct an out patient drug program in Jackson Co. (Scottsboro) so I can say w/conviction that most locals don't use drugs and most hate the drug infestation. I would love to live in beautiful Jackson Co. Unless you're actively seeking out meth, you have little to fear from anyone on so-called "meth mtn." Most folks there are very nice, very typical genteel Southerners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area