Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:49 AM

379 posts, read 844,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbt021885 View Post
i live in cullman al and there is meth everywhere i mean everywhere we have meth labs all over the place... but you wouldnt think it just by coming to cullman or even living here you have to know people to see how bad cullman really is
At a hotel in Cullman.

Active meth lab discovered at hotel » Local News » CullmanTimes.com, Cullman, Alabama

Old 11-09-2009, 01:23 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,853,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
let's legalize all of it, get rid of "dry counties" (why do they exist), and drop speed limits.
Don't get me started on speed limits.

Speed limits too, on most major roads (especially interstates), are pretty stupid. Every study conducted on the subject has shown that traffic naturally finds a comfortable consistent pace. It's actually been tested in several countries - where the limit is raised, and traffic on average actually prefers a slower speed. Further, the actual limit is set by a sort of least common denominator - poor performing car and driver.

A semi can only safely travel down a country road at X mph, so that means my race replica sportbike should be limited to that mph too? Nonsense. People naturally find comfortable, suitable speeds - the signs should be advisories (mostly for those unfamiliar with the roads). Someone driving irrationally isn't stopped by a sign with a number. Those people pose the same danger whether the limit exists or not.

Take a look at 565 any day of the week and you'll see that the defacto comfortable speed is ~75-80 mph. The limit is meaningless. Let the police do something besides sit under bridges clocking people and handing out tickets.

It's kind of funny really, police often justify their own high speed driving by saying they're highly trained and yadda yadda. Well that's great, I have raced motorcycles for 10 years, does that mean I'm qualified to exceed the limit?

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; 11-09-2009 at 01:43 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 01:47 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,853,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Even if the residents of the dry counties consistently vote against going wet?
What right does my neighbor have to say whether I can sell a legal substance?

Tyranny I say. If someone doesn't want to buy/sell alcohol, I have a simple solution for them: don't.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,565,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
What right does my neighbor have to say whether I can sell a legal substance?

Tyranny I say. If someone doesn't want to buy/sell alcohol, I have a simple solution for them: don't.
Man, you made me up your rep on that one... and that is rare, but I agree

Old 11-11-2009, 04:03 AM

4 posts, read 8,278 times
Default home sweet alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Aaaaahhhhh. Sand Mountain. Home of meth labs, chop shops, bluegrass fiddle players, and snake handlers. Lots of UFO sightings there, too. It sure is an interesting place.

no other place like it .i live top of sandmountain,drugs yes wiskey yes .good people messin up yes but folks still are neighbors,freinds .that help , look out for one another,theres

Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,404,767 times
I was reading a headline on MSN about Mexican Police needing US troops in drug-infested area, and the link took me here:

Mexican cartels: Drug organizations extending reach farther into the U.S. - Americas- msnbc.com

ALbertville, Decatur, Huntsville.

Looks like we came ahead of GA, LA, MS (hint "Hatin on Bama " thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaba...ng-bama-6.html), but GA and LA creamed us at gun trade.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,619 times
Default The Mountain

This is in reference to the reshowing of Intervention on A&E last night. I have lived in Alabama for 2 yrs. now. I moved here from Texas. I have never heard about so many meth busts as I hear around here. I live in Cullman County and meth is rampant here.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,965 times
u r so true its in polk co fl they dont meth around ya know if they taxed all illegal drugs and made them

Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM

121 posts, read 163,708 times
Quote:
If I may play Devil's Advocate for a moment. Legalize it and most of your small meth lab problems go away. In fact, legalize all of these drugs.

The price of meth would plummet with commercial production and you could even tax meth sales. You wouldn't need giant and expensive drug policing bureacracies. Then increase spending on in-school drug education programs. Someone who will do meth is someone who isn't going to care whether its legal or not, and honestly, no one has difficulty obtaining these illegal drugs (in DC, you can get almost anything on virtually any corner in Southeast - ah, the things you experience as a teenager).

In one fell swoop you take care of most of the violent activity associated with the drug trade, you have virtually no impact on usage rates for hardcore drugs like meth and crack (though I'm sure pot use would skyrocket - but that would likely be eating into cigarette and alcohol sales). You'd eliminate dangerous home based meth labs by making meth no longer profitable for them. You bring the hidden world into the light where it can be regulated and taxed, and you save a ton of money on enforcement.

You will never stop people who want to use and produce these drugs. These aren't people who care about whether something is legal or not.
Quote:
Don't get me started on speed limits.

Speed limits too, on most major roads (especially interstates), are pretty stupid. Every study conducted on the subject has shown that traffic naturally finds a comfortable consistent pace. It's actually been tested in several countries - where the limit is raised, and traffic on average actually prefers a slower speed. Further, the actual limit is set by a sort of least common denominator - poor performing car and driver.

A semi can only safely travel down a country road at X mph, so that means my race replica sportbike should be limited to that mph too? Nonsense. People naturally find comfortable, suitable speeds - the signs should be advisories (mostly for those unfamiliar with the roads). Someone driving irrationally isn't stopped by a sign with a number. Those people pose the same danger whether the limit exists or not.

Take a look at 565 any day of the week and you'll see that the defacto comfortable speed is ~75-80 mph. The limit is meaningless. Let the police do something besides sit under bridges clocking people and handing out tickets.

It's kind of funny really, police often justify their own high speed driving by saying they're highly trained and yadda yadda. Well that's great, I have raced motorcycles for 10 years, does that mean I'm qualified to exceed the limit?
You are very wise! I agree with you on both issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area