U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 AM

79 posts, read 213,329 times

Advertisements

I watched on A&E last night a Intervention Show called "Meth Mountain". It said it is a huge problem in Marshall County and had several stories about what it has done to peoples lives in that area. Is this in or around Guntersville? How bad is it? I have a friend that lives near Knoxville,TN and she is actually sending her kids back to Florida to stay with her parents to finish school out down here because she said Meth is so bad up there and she is scared that her kids are going to get into the wrong crowd. We are still considering a move to Northern Alabama once my husband gets the ok from the job. Now, seeing that show last night it has me a little worried about living up that way with kids and how bad is the problem with Meth. I understand drugs is in every state and is in some towns more than others but one of the interviews on the show the lady said that she just couldn't stay clean because it is everywhere and you would always know someone that either has it or someone that could get it for you and most of the people were doing it or knew someone who was doing it. Were is this located? How bad is it?

Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 AM

117 posts, read 313,285 times
I was thinking the same thing. I see the big billboards for Methadone Treatment Facilities.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,758,695 times
Meth - and all kinds of drugs - are everywhere, not just on Sand Mountain. You can probably find anything you want not far from where you live now.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 27,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGAL76 View Post
I watched on A&E last night a Intervention Show called "Meth Mountain". It said it is a huge problem in Marshall County and had several stories about what it has done to peoples lives in that area. Is this in or around Guntersville? How bad is it? I have a friend that lives near Knoxville,TN and she is actually sending her kids back to Florida to stay with her parents to finish school out down here because she said Meth is so bad up there and she is scared that her kids are going to get into the wrong crowd. We are still considering a move to Northern Alabama once my husband gets the ok from the job. Now, seeing that show last night it has me a little worried about living up that way with kids and how bad is the problem with Meth. I understand drugs is in every state and is in some towns more than others but one of the interviews on the show the lady said that she just couldn't stay clean because it is everywhere and you would always know someone that either has it or someone that could get it for you and most of the people were doing it or knew someone who was doing it. Were is this located? How bad is it?
The A&E show apparently used Guntersville as a backdrop with the lakes, mountains and scenery to highlight the area. The actual location of the "meth mountain" presentation referred to an area about 25-30 miles SE of Guntersville. Without a doubt, meth is an overwhelming problem throughout the entire US, but Guntersville could certainly not be placed at the same magnitude of most areas. The city, as well as the county has a very aggressive drug enforcement and education reputation and is backed by a court system that has little tolerance for drug related crimes.

I think you will find far less drug exposure in Guntersville than most of FL after having lived and worked there in the past.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 35,966 times
Hmm well I've lived in Huntsville since I was young and have spent quite a bit of time in and around Marshall County with friends who live there. Never encountered any meth heads. Ironically, I have family in upstate NY who now say it is becoming quite a problem in their neck of the woods though.

My point is, I agree with Southlander that you'll encounter this everywhere, especially if you're looking for it. I would pay more attention to crime rates in the area, and I'd be surprised if they're terribly high anywhere around here.

I really think you shouldn't worry about something like this if you want to move here. Talk to more people who live in the area you would move to and even visit it yourself (if you can) before judging it.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 AM

25,076 posts, read 26,865,379 times
Aaaaahhhhh. Sand Mountain. Home of meth labs, chop shops, bluegrass fiddle players, and snake handlers. Lots of UFO sightings there, too. It sure is an interesting place.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:15 AM

3,225 posts, read 5,101,721 times
Methadone (basically heroin, like oxycontin) and Methamphetamine (the Meth in the story, basically speed) are different drugs.

This bust illustrates the supply side of the Meth problem, but I don't recall seeing anybody on the A&E show named Pedro, Rodolfo, or Carlos:

Quote:
FORT PAYNE, Ala. (AP) — DeKalb County sheriff's officials say three males remain in custody Tuesday after drug agents seized five pounds of methamphetamine in a weekend drug bust.

Sheriff Jimmy Harris said the seizure occurred Friday at a house near the Kilpatrick community.

Two Albertville residents — Pedro Corona Vargas and Rodolfo Chavez, both 20, and a Florida man, 21-year-old Carlos Feliz Arellano, were arrested.
DeKalb County drug agents bust meth lab, 3 arrested - NewsFlash - al.com

Old 08-19-2008, 11:18 AM

426 posts, read 834,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Aaaaahhhhh. Sand Mountain. Home of meth labs, chop shops, bluegrass fiddle players, and snake handlers. Lots of UFO sightings there, too. It sure is an interesting place.
Not to mention Jenneth's Hair Salon!!! Dang--I've *always* wanted to have my hair done there The people on that sign look like they are straight out of the '70s--and members of Alabama (the band).

HAH, HAH, HAH.....

Old 08-19-2008, 11:39 AM

807 posts, read 1,421,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLM777 View Post
The A&E show apparently used Guntersville as a backdrop with the lakes, mountains and scenery to highlight the area. The actual location of the "meth mountain" presentation referred to an area about 25-30 miles SE of Guntersville.
Actually, the documentary centered on Albertville, which is maybe 10 miles from Guntersville at the most. Nevertheless, I kinda got the impression that documentary was a little over the top. There's definitely issues with meth on Sand Mountain as there are all over the place as far as I can tell. I have family in Albertville and have never heard them complain about meth problems.

Oddly enough, Marshall County is a dry county. Maybe if they'd allow a little cold beer there they'd have less meth problems. Actually Guntersville city is wet though and maybe Albertville too.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 26,997 times
I grew up in Guntersville, I moved away many years ago. It was kind of trashy then. I lived in Fort Payne for awhile, it was a nicer town, but the drug problem in Dekalb county seemed much, much worse. If you hang around lowlifes you will get into it.I permanently staked down in Florida, IT IS AWESOME!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area