U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:44 PM

45 posts, read 167,950 times

Advertisements

I was born in Pa. Dutch country, so living in VA has been a treat since we've had places to shop with the Mennonites here. Fresh eggs and baked breads, along with a great store of bulk organic grains, dried fruit, organic cheeses, etc.

Anything like that in the area? I thought I read something about Mennonites in Madison, but can't seem to track anything down on Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 02:00 PM

3,253 posts, read 5,184,245 times
IIRC the closest farms / communities are east of Fayetteville TN north of US64, there are also some stores that sell Amish products (like you describe) up that way (just north of Paint Rock AL).

Also, the Fair Trade Marketplace (spit) on Regal Drive is associated with the Mennonite Central Committee (spit), which is a Leftist anti-war group (not the horse and buggy types); for example, they fund protests against military recruiting... I do not shop there...

Old 08-20-2008, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the input. At least if there's nothing closer, there's an option in TN and we love any excuse to go to TN anyway. Have an S Corp. and TN taxes it the same as C Corp. so not a great monetary decision to live there, but will be nice being close to it.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:13 PM

5,023 posts, read 10,883,488 times
There's also a Mennonite family that runs a bakery and restaurant, somewhere around Falkville, which is south of Hartselle. I believe the "Anna Mary's" cakes that you find in Kroger stores come from them. The bakery is open to the public.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:22 PM

That would be a nice stop when we visit friends in B'ham. Sounds like Kroger carries some local foods. Any organic and local produce? Are there any organic farms in the area? Farmer's markets? How far for apple orchard?

Old 08-20-2008, 04:02 PM

3,253 posts, read 5,184,245 times
Madison County Farmers Market, Cook Ave (off North Parkway just north of University).
Garden Cove, Pratt Avenue at Meridian (just north of downtown).
Scott Orchard (north and west of Hazel Green):

Scott's Apple Orchard - Hazel Green, Alabama

Plus, the best goat cheese in the US is made in Madison County:

Belle Chèvre – Artisan Goat Cheese

Old 08-20-2008, 04:54 PM

How exciting to have those links! Y'all are grand!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:13 AM

5,023 posts, read 10,883,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Plus, the best goat cheese in the US is made in Madison County:

Belle Chèvre – Artisan Goat Cheese
Actually, it's in Limestone County.
Alabama is blessed with many farmers' markets and roadside stands: http://www.fma.alabama.gov/FMCounty.aspx

Old 08-23-2008, 08:23 PM

1,645 posts, read 2,902,234 times
On our way back from Birmingham today I saw a billboard that said something about Farmer's market and amish cheese being there--I didn't get the whole name, but it was near Cullman (about midway between Bham and Hville). I figure it's about a 45 minute drive to get there. Next time I head south, I'll try to look for it for you.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:11 AM

How great - the link and for you to notice that dramamama! Very nice! I am looking forward to living in AL again and discovering a whole new part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area